MTU settup

my mtu is 1492, but i dont know if i have to put in wan or lan or both. i know its best to leave it auto,but i want to try everything out what gives me the best connection.

• Administrators

my mtu is 1492, but i dont know if i have to put in wan or lan or both. i know its best to leave it auto,but i want to try everything out what gives me the best connection.

i experienced, when i settup mtu in the netduma and ps4 that my nat goes to type 3, but i dont know if its the ps4 or the router. does someone know that?

You would put it in both, and on the console as well if you have the option and also would advise the ISP hub too. MTU won't improve anything related to your online gaming experience. 

It could be the MTU, put it back to auto, does it revert back to Type 2?

You would put it in both, and on the console as well if you have the option and also would advise the ISP hub too. MTU won't improve anything related to your online gaming experience. 

It could be the MTU, put it back to auto, does it revert back to Type 2?

okay thank you.

i think when i set it back to auto on ps4 it stays type 2, but that thing with type 3 happened not all the time, so cant say 100%.

besides, when play around a little bit with the mtu settings (disable and enable..) the router stops working and says i should report that on the forum.

Auto usually works best in most cases as Fraser said but people do experiment with their MTU settings,but IMO it has little to do with gaming but might help you get to websites or open pages quicker.

Auto usually works best in most cases as Fraser said but people do experiment with their MTU settings,but IMO it has little to do with gaming but might help you get to websites or open pages quicker.

That isn't entirely true.

First of all, I introduce myself.

My name is Frank, I have 46 years, I love FPS like Doom, Quake, cod, BF and playing online since 1990!

I am a router R1's owner since start of your adventure :).

I have never written because I have NEVER had a problem with your router. Little things, I solved them reading forum and wiki

It 'just great!

Unfortunately I live in Italy so my connection is an ADSL 20mbt / 1mbt (real 16/1) FASTWEB set in fast-path mode.

Under the R1 router I connect a PS4 and a XBOXONE, although recently I'm using only the PS4.

I decided to enroll and participate in this discussion because the MTU issue on ps4 should be investigated!

My experience is as follows:

If I leave everything set to AUTO (about R1 lan / wan auto) and PS4 (auto), when I play COD BO3 / AW my ratio deaths/kills is very low.

Almost every firefight I lose. On 10 clashes, 2-3 win them.

If it sets all of 1492 (about R1 lan / wan 1492) and PS4 (1492), my ratio deaths/kills  improves a lot ..

Out of 10 fights, 5-6 win them.

But the real surprise is when imposed on R1 lan / wan 1492, and on ps4 1480 (MTU DEFAULT of XBOXONE) or 1485 or other numbers that test, my ratio becomes incredibly positive! 10 clashes 7-8 win them!

On games of COD series the MTU iussue is very sensitive! Especially on COD AW

The magic number does not exist! .. Be sought from time to time. Then also it depends on the game upgrade. 1480 often goes wrong when imposed in 1485 should be better.

The server to which I connect are always the same (I use the trick suggested by Ian in another section of this forum), where my ping is better (34 ms)

My modem is a nighthawk with MTU set to 1492.

In life I am a lawyer, it would be interesting if some engineers could take a look at the MTU issue on ps4.

Thanks for everything and best wishes for future professional success to all.

Frank

Archived