Moving Netduma upstairs to downstairs need a bit of advice!

Hi Guys,

Me and my wife are expecting twins in June/July so my 'Gaming' room will be no more and soon to be a Nursery!

Back in topic I'm going to need to move my Netduma from upstairs where it is connected to the BT socket with a short cable to downstairs so I can still enjoying gaming... If I get time hopefully  :)

I would like if possible, to still experience good online gaming with low ping, good connection with my Netduma downstairs still.

The BT socket downstairs would be approximately 4 metres from where my console will be so in your expert opinion is it best to either:

a. Have a shorter broadband cable (RJ11) from the BT socket to the Netduma > then a longer Ethernet cable from the Netduma (approx 4 metres) to the console

b. Have a longer broadband cable from the BT socket to the Netduma > then a short Ethernet cable from the Netduma to the console?

c. Use a Power line adapter.

I've uploaded a picture of each socket (downstairs and upstairs). ..I'm not 100% sure which is the master socket, it should in theory be the downstairs one as it's a near the front door but previously when I had ADSL2 broadband before fibre I asked BT to change the socket upstairs for 'optimum' gaming (no telephone socket) so they put a data cable in and that wasn't changed when fibre was installed. You can see it looks a bit different in the picture.

My internet is fibre broadband and Plusnet is the provider. (picture for downstairs shows ADSL but it isn't it's just a filter.

I would really appreciate any networking advice on this as I would still like to enjoy my gaming experience with the help from my Netduma  :D

Cheers Guys

Chris

post-259-0-86863300-1427663384_thumb.jpg

post-259-0-88998000-1427663387_thumb.jpg

Keep the router as close to the master socket as posible on a short rj11 (i use twisted pair) cable then run cat5e or cat6 to your gaming system is the optimal way.

The master socket you have is the second picture with the flower wallpaper.

In an ideal world Zennon is 100% correct, However over those distances I don't think you will notice much difference.

I use powerline adapters and have measured the speeds etc and there is no noticeable difference when plugged straight into a socket. the speed and packet loss does get worse if I plug the adapter into an extension lead.

This is just my own personal experience.

Guest Netduma Luke

A > C > B

Iain is a big fan of power line adapters and as these may be less 'messy', this could be your best option.

Huge congrats on the fact you are about to become a Dad.

Many Thanks to you all for your input and Luke for your kind words  :)

I didn't realise power line adapters where that reliable, that certainly is an option.

I don't mind using a longer ethernet (RJ45) cable as I can run that up the side under the carpet.

On the pictures do you all think the second picture is the master socket? This is the one in the bedroom. I did read on forums that the 'master socket'

is where the external phone line enters the house. (this would be picture 1) There is a small black cable going into it so I think this is the external phone line.

If this isn't the master would I still be ok to use this socket anyway with minimal performance loss?

The second pictured has the Bt fibre face plate on this should be the master if the engineer had his head screwed on.

I am a believer in keeping the modem/router set up by the master and then twisted pair cat cable to deflect any REIN / SHINE (electric interference) and even twisted pair rj11 (ebay/amazon) keep that noise out so the Dynamic Line Management in the cab does not get a strop on with errors then you end up with higher pings because of interleaving.

It can be the difference between fast path and interleaved on some households that have higher electrical noise than normal.

Bit of a pain then as it looks like the engineer has installed the master socket upstairs and it should be downstairs in the hall.

Iain, what do you recommend? Basically I've got no option but to put the router downstairs, will the other socket be ok?

Guest Netduma_Iain

If I understand the problem correctly you need to have your consoles upstairs right?

If so I would highly recommend having the router downstairs connected as usual but use a homeplug to connect upstairs. It will be like you're wired Chris :D 

No sorry Iain, at present console is upstairs with router connected to socket in picture 2. (Zennon thinks this is master.)

I'm moving both router and console downstairs and connect to socket in picture 1. This is by the front door in the hall. If you look closely in pic 1 there is a black cable, this is coming from the outside telephone line.

The console will be approx 4 metres away from netduma. If you think the socket downstairs in pic 1 should be ok then that sounds great Iain :-) I just want to minimise interference etc.

If that is the the master socket down stairs you could switch face plates for neatness sake and they are usually a higher spec than dongle filters.

4 meters i would go for cat ethernet cable at that distance. Well i go 15 meters with ethernet but i am ocd with this stuff haha.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Oh I see Chris, I don't have much practical knowledge of ADSL or other broadband tech. I work mostly from network layer(excluding ethernet of course) and above, that's where congestion usually occurs. So I can't really comment on interference and other matters as my knowledge is purely theoretical.

I would highly recommend listening to Zennon he clearly knows his stuff

He certainly does know his stuff!

I do have fibre broadband - the ADSL filter is just there as I initially had problems with the telephone/old router before I bought the Netduma.

It is difficult to work out which is the master as on the upstairs socket there is a cable that runs from outside, About 6 months before I had fibre installed an electrician came round and installed a cable from via the loft outside and into the bedroom as I was getting disconnections on my previous router with ADSL. This is a 

The thing is when Fibre was installed I'm not sure whether the BT engineer changed the master socket from upstairs to downstairs.

I probably will go with getting a 3/4 metre Cat 6 ethernet cable for downstairs with the router. 

Guest Netduma_Iain

I'll leave Zennon to comment, but purely from a logical point of view you could just try both right? 

Can you go out side the property in day light of course and check where your copper BT cable feeds either up stairs or down stairs.

The reason to use the master is that the bt copper from the cab to the property is high quality and the cable from the back of the master to the extension is normaly inferior flat cheap cable (not twisted pair) which could result in noise being absorbed which would raise your signal to noise ratio.

That then leads to lower sync speeds and in some cases interleaving to correct the errors caused by the inferior cable which results in a higher ping as the correction needs more overheads.

If it was my set up I would keep the router by which ever one turns out to be the master and cat5e or cat6 to the router :)

Bt have rolled out G.INP to the Huewei cabs and i have seen an increase in speed by 7 mb and my pings are back to fast path ,it is a form of interleaving but done on the fly instead of a profile. ECI cabs are still to be rolled out at the moment.

This is a vast improvment over standard interleaving but i would still keep the errors to a minimum as described, packets have to be resent if they get corrupted, a re-sent packet in online gaming can mean life or death on cod haha.

Can you go out side the property in day light of course and check where your copper BT cable feeds either up stairs or down stairs.

> Ok I'll have a look. Is this direct from the telephone line outside on the front of the house? 

If it turns out the master is upstairs I won't be able to use a cat 6 cable as it will involve going all the way from the back of the bedroom upstairs, though the landing and right down the stairs into the hall. = very messy

In this case I would probably keep the router upstairs and use a powerline adapter downstairs by the console.

Do you think using the power line adapter is better than using the socket downstairs > router > ethernet if it turns out the downstairs socket is not the master?

Many Thanks 

Yes coming from the over head Bt cables to the house.

Yes if the master is upstairs I would keep the modem/router set up next to it or there abouts so that you take the flat non twisted pair extension cable out of the equation that can act like a antenna for electromagnetic interference.

In your case I think you do not want the cable running round the house so just try out powerline adaptors they will not harm your connection because it is...

Master socket > modem  > router > powerline (has not effect over what comes before it only after it)

If you have a clean power source there should be no problems from the router to your console.

I have my ethernet up the wall through the ceiling > floor boards > Xbox/Pc

Thanks Zennon,

I'll check when I get home later where the cables enter the house.

This is good to know as in this case the worse case scenario is that the master is upstairs so if I do have to use power line adapters then it's a relief to know they are reliable  :)

Any recommendations on what are the best power line adapters or are they all much of a muchness?

More news later ...and thanks again!

On the power line adapters I've found (like most things in life) you get what you pay for. The cheap ones can be rubbish so worth spending a bit and buying a good set.

I think mine are D-Link (not used anymore after I did same move as you for the nursery but my line is downstairs). But when I had them installed I had about a 2ms of increased latency and pulled 70mbps on my fibre line compared to 77 on a speedtest. Was good enough for me!

Your mileage could vary though as the performancen varies depending greatly on the quality of the electricity wiring in your home.

So I checked outside and the cable runs from the overhead cable into the top of the house then runs all the way down the wall outside to the bottom and into the house as well so none the wiser!

I think I'll ring the electrician who did the work and see if he remembers.

If no luck there I'll play it safe and leave the router upstairs as I know it performs well. I also remember running the ping / diagnostic test on the netduma a while ago and it produced excellent results :-)

Cheers I will shop around for a powerline adapter :)

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys

I know It's been a while since we discussed this topic but I only just found out that the electrician installed 'cat 5 multi core' for the wiring so he says that the line speeds (whether I have the R1 + PS4 upstairs in bedroom, or downstairs) would be exactly the same. I have since moved my R1 + PS4 downstairs and run diagnostics test and more or less got the same results.

Basically there is no 'master socket' as such now, and so I wondered what your thoughts are on cat 5 multi core and how reliable it is in general?

apologies I've never heard of this before so any knowledge on it would be great!

Thanks in anticipation  :)

• Administrators

I haven't heard of it personally but if you're getting exactly the same results it sounds like they do the job just fine :) Perhaps someone whos had experience with them can comment on this further :)

Archived