Need suggestion setting up my R1

I'm trying to understand how to setup the Access Point.

1. I need to connect Modem directly to R1 (it will be in the middle of my house). This will make R1 as Primary.

2. I will also need to connect  R1 to Asus through LAN Port (Asus will be in the gaming room so the LAN port has to been connected through the wall). 

3. Need to turn off the wifi for R1.

4. Setup Asus as the access point.

To Summarize: Router > R1 Netduma > Asus (AP mode) <----- Wire----> to PS4???

Question: Since Asus will be in the gaming room, do I just wired connect my PS4 to Asus and I'll still can use all the features on R1 Netduma? 

I am assuming I have to wire connect my PS4 to Netduma for optimal usage. Which is impossible for me to do the way my house is setup. What are my options then if this is the case?

What you have planned will work. You can wire your ps4 to the asus and still have all the functions of the R1 as long as the asus is wired to your R1.  

your set up should be:

ISP modem>R1>Asus as AP

and you'll be all set!  Good luck!

Power line adaptors will allow you to play effectively wired from R1.

Out of R1 via Ethernet into 1 plug,

Out of 2nd plug near PS4 and the Ethernet straight into PS4.

Power line adaptors will allow you to play effectively wired from R1.

Out of R1 via Ethernet into 1 plug,

Out of 2nd plug near PS4 and the Ethernet straight into PS4.

So I should buy Powerline (does it matter which) 1 should be Ethernet wired to R1 and the other Ethernet wired to PS4 will make it work? Any configuration needed?

That's correct, plug and play. Some you may need to hold a button in fog ten seconds etc but instructions will be on box.

I use them from my hallway on ground floor where line comes into house, then put another on first floor and then Ethernet into a switch then out of switch into all devices.

If you only need Internet wired to ps4 just run Ethernet to that with no switch.

Hey man,

Bagsta and Alex are knowledgeable guys when it comes to R1's, but I respectfully disagree with them on this topic. I'm not a network genius either so make sure get an official recommedation before you go buying new gear. Having your Asus in AP mode is essentially like having an ethernet switch with Wifi capability. Each device in your network will still get its own IP address. You need ti make sure that the DHCP is turned off on your asus. You only want your R1 dishing out IP's.

Congestion control reduces your overall bandwidth to ensure your R1 doesn't get too much information at one time, so I believe that will work just fine. The distribution flower works off of IP addresses. I think you're good to go as long as you have everything in your network going through the R1 before it gets to your modem. I'm sure one of the admins or Fraser will comment on this and you'll be set straight.

Archived