VDSL Modem? Any suggestions

Dillinger

So the local phone company has upgraded a previous problem line in my area and switched over to VDSL, which is a higher rate of transfer ADSL line that is fed by a fiber backbone.

I am going to give it a try with a dedicated line to the new gaming center.  The thing is, we have Compost for the rest of the house and everything is fine with their downstream BURST bs.  It's fine and I don't want to fuck with it.

So new VDSL line into the gaming center and I guess I need a modem prior to the NetDuma, but everything out there seems to be loaded with a bunch of unnecessary Wi-Fi features I don't need in gaming.

Bridge mode?  I guess.  I don't really know a hell of a lot about it, but the premise is pretty simple.  Turn off the Wi-Fi and allow it to pass signal through the to Duma.  And then I see a ton of threads about problems with bridge mode and placing shit in the DMZ.

Not looking to re-invent the wheel here.  Just looking for what I hope is a simple solution.

Any thoughts from the Knowledge bank here?

Thanks guys

JD

VDSL modems are pretty expensive, at least over here with prices from 150€ to 200€ for good ones that also have VOIP or whatsoever additional features (eg zyxel)

that having said it might be cheaper to just use the ISPs modem or router (put in modem mode) or router in bridge mode

if your ISP will offer VDSL at your house they have to offer working hardware solutions for your new contract, i would give them a call and ask what they have for you

Thanks guys - Good info.

Od1n - Here in the US they have a pretty good scam going.  If you don't want their basic "default" gear (which is like an extra $12/mo for the life of the contract) they will sell you their "preferred" in house brand for $99, plus a maint fee.  Or you can purchase from online, pay once and be done.  As this is now my second high speed line, just for gaming, I am going to try and limit the monthly hit and just buy my own gear once to be done with it.  Thank you though, that helps!

Z - I have seen that Hauwei brand mentioned in two threads around the interwebz.  As they are other sites, I don't give them a ton of credit as I don't know the posters rep or anything.  Sounds like I can pick up any of the cheap models that I have found in my research.  Any thoughts on these brands?

• CenturyLink Actiontech (this is the providers name brand) - C1000, C1000a
  • Zyxel - both the PK2000, PK5000 and possibly the PK5000A
  • Hauwei - online
  • TrendNet

Don't know much about any of them, but I would think the process this thing has to serve has to be pretty "basic" in the land of combination, "high-speed-multiple-Wi-Fi-with-blistering-speeds-or-my-whole-house-won't-be-happy" marketplace, no?

man thats criminal, 12$ a month for lets say a 2 years contract is way more than that stuff is worth it

the only modem i can give feedback on are the zyxel ones, i know a few R1 users that run with it and it works very well

(dont know which ones though but ill try to see what i can find out)

dillinger depening on your researches this topic might as well become the source of choice for R1 users looking for VDSL modems, i for one appreciate your further investigations already :)

I went with the Hauwei modem because here in the UK on FTTC you should always match the modem maker to the cabinet maker (matching chipsets)

And have a G.INP capable firmware installed for on the fly error correction to keep latency low.

I went with the Hauwei modem because here in the UK on FTTC you should always match the modem maker to the cabinet maker (matching chipsets)

This all made sense.

And have a G.INP capable firmware installed for on the fly error correction to keep latency low.

Can you decipher what is essentially SanScrit written here for me please?   :D

man thats criminal, 12$ a month for lets say a 2 years contract is way more than that stuff is worth it

the only modem i can give feedback on are the zyxel ones, i know a few R1 users that run with it and it works very well

(dont know which ones though but ill try to see what i can find out)

dillinger depening on your researches this topic might as well become the source of choice for R1 users looking for VDSL modems, i for one appreciate your further investigations already :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence My Friend, but I suspect my use case is going to be pretty specific as I really don't want, or need, any Wi-Fi with this application.  My ideal world would be a very quiet line that goes Wall > Modem > NetDuma > Console.

I'll definitely post back what I end up going with, but in the meantime it appears some reading is in my future.

Update:

Been doing a bunch of reading on VDSL.  There are a ton of makers that offer VDSL compliant solutions, but they all seem to feature wireless crap that goes up, above and over any needs I really have for this project.  I don't mind if they have an On/Off feature, but I don't want to pay 60% higher costs for specialized Wi-Fi performance and protection I won't even be using.   <_<

Talked with Pete (from Hell), one of the local IT gurus, and he pointed me in the direction of the young kid Zak we have working remote as he is both a hard core gamer AND is a VDSL guy.

Sent him a couple of questions and am going to do some more reading.

In doing some reading, I came across this graph from the service provider (Century Link in my area).

It appears the ZyXel Q100 is the modem that WOULD have been ideal for my application.  Straight modem.  But it appears to be out of favor and phased out.

The search continues....

Hope you find what your looking for JD,nothing worse than paying for shit you don't need.But on the other hand if your not sold on the dedicated gaming line and it might be something you may not have in 3-6 months as I don't know how long your gonna sign up for but until your committed to it I don't know if I'd but something for the short term.

And I see Yoda Z is talking in tongues again LOL,sometimes I think he does that just to confuse us.But you gotta love Yoda Z... :D

Thanks big guy - I am on the hunt.

As Fuzzy knows we have plans at a lower edition remodel "starting" with professional help later this summer.  Part of my goal is to move all my gaming to a nice, cozy, little command center where I can rage and howl at the moon without affecting the rest of the house.  

Thanks to Yoda Z, and the help of www.pingplotter.com, I have determined that while my existing cable provider doesn't have many problems with signal, they do have a ton of problems affecting my round trip pings (and complete drop outs).  After WAY TOO MUCH exhaustive research I found that the local twisted pair phone company has replaced an existing problem on my street (we had service with them initially) as part of their move to a fiber fed backbone called VDSL.

My hope continues to be that a dedicated line of VDSL will be able to eliminate the collisions and multiple problems, specifically with the return path on my cable plant, and give me more of a stable connection.

This plan comes with a 30-day trial, so I will be abusing that to the fullest.  If it works, great.  If it doesn't, I can simply reroute my existing cable configuration on the house and utilize that in more of an isolated fashion to further arm the Duma to work correctly.

This has been a can of worms since the onset, but I have reached a point where now the goal is the ultimate, C-L-E-A-N, gaming set up that is isolated from the rest of the house goings on, and also is isolated from any of the garbage other cable customers are pumping back into the shared plant.

More to follow as I am still waiting on an update from the local DSL expert.

We call VDSL fibre here in the UK is that what you are going to test JD ?

If so you should see a great improvement :)

I was talking complete sense to myself Fuzzy mate haha.

We call VDSL fibre here in the UK is that what you are going to test JD ?

I am not familiar with the exact UK specs but this, as I understand it, is how the conversion from typical ADSL (we just call it DSL here in the states) works.

Existing plant is twisted pair and on this they were able to pump digital signal up and down stream, but because of the limitations of signals through medium like twisted pair (the wires are very thin, thus attenuate quickly the further you get from the source) they were never really able to take advantage of the existing plant to offer better services.  This is important because they already have lines in the air and in the ground in existing neighborhoods, as Frontier is learning the hard way

This process has used existing easements, conduits and OH lines to overlay an entire FTTN/FTTC topography that creates tons of small pockets of twisted pair that are now fed by a very close source of fiber.  The pockets should be small in house count (as opposed to Cables' ability to service 2500 homes per SIDE of a node when I was in the field) and the return paths (my current nemesis with cable) won't truly be sharing the same bandwidth until the light conversion.

This will lead to less ingress (outside signals getting into the feed) and less egress (that is where my bullet packets just up and vanish into the Ether).

So we will see.  OCD is a bitch.... I'm just saying.

Yes like ours then FTTC fibre from the exchange up to the cabinet in the street then a small amount of copper to the premises.

Should be a good improvement.

Yes like ours then FTTC fibre from the exchange up to the cabinet in the street then a small amount of copper to the premises.

Should be a good improvement.

a connection like this can go up to 100mbit down 40mbit up with vectoring technology being used as far as i know, id consider that when purchasing the modem so if your ISP decides to upgrade to vectoring you wont need a new modem

a connection like this can go up to 100mbit down 40mbit up with vectoring technology being used as far as i know, id consider that when purchasing the modem so if your ISP decides to upgrade to vectoring you wont need a new modem

Thanks Od1n, I have read that as well, but I don't know if it's a concern as money was just spent to upgrade the plant within the last 2 years here where I live.  I would suspect the rate of payback on that investment would take longer before it became eligible for more work.

That said, I am still not sure what model I will end up with as the local DSL expert (a remote worker) has found it well within his time to completely ignore my info request.  Too bad for him I am taking over control of his team this week and one of his tasks going forward will be to respond when asked a simple question.....LOL

Vectoring should only need a firmware update to existing modems just like G.inp has had in the past.

As it is to stop cross talk from fibre.

Quote..

ISPreview.co.uk also queried whether the trial would be compatible with Openreach’s existing Huawei or ECI (VDSL) modems, which can also reflect the use of different local street cabinets by the same companies.

Openreach confirmed that the majority of end customers would be able to use their existing modem (we suspect that some of these might also need a firmware update but that’s not confirmed). However a “small number” could need a replacement modem and BT has said that it would work with ISPs to organise this.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/06/bt-prep-uk-superfast-broadband-fttc-vectoring-trial-for-late-july.html

Archived