Low fluctuating speeds please help

Hi, I pay for 10 down and 2 up on a satellite. I get 8.5 -1.5 usually when i run a test on just a modem. Its just a little black box that has a POE and a LAN line not a traditional modem. On the duma i get 2.5 down .8 up usually sometimes it gives me 5.2 1.2 But i have had this connection for almost a year and 99% of the time on my 8 year old router the speeds were 8.5 - 1.5 I have had the duma for moths and it is never stable and constantly gets me kicked off destiny and slows down net flix from time to time. My xbox is hard line to duma and I have shut off everything wireless and still low speed. Also i have spent days with my xbox just connected to the modem and speeds never dipped below 8 down and 1.5 up. I have the latest firm ware 1.3.6g also on reactive and 100% caps on both. I am not super tec savvy so i haven't messed with much more. any help world be awesome. i love using the geo filter and different things but damn i need the speed to be able to game. oh and usually on the ping test it says bad or is in red letters. the one i just did says spike OK and 1 packet loss. Its usually worse though.

• Administrators

Make sure when you put your speeds in you allow it to setup automatically for you. 

You should receive full speeds then doing a wired speed test. 

For Destiny you need to have strict mode off to prevent booting. 

Once you've got your full speeds put the sliders to 70/70 to prevent anything impacting your connection - your speeds will slow but it will massively help in eliminating any lag/buffering.

Thanks for the reply. I had everything as you said except for the strict box when playing destiny. But even when that box was checked and i was on say netflix the speeds were still low. and after playing destiny for 2 hrs with the box un checked i am still getting speeds of 7down 1.5 up to the test i just ran 4.2 down .8 up (not good). And again if i directly plug my modem box into xbox or laptop speeds are solid 8.5 1.5 every test.

when i hit set speeds to auto it does it then a warning box pops up and i click ok and it goes away. Is it not working properly? Also if i put the speeds to 1 and 1 and run a test its comes back as 1 down and 1 up with it set to auto with the warning box. sorry if confusing just saying if it truly sets it to auto shouldn't i be able to put whatever in the box and it would still come back with my true speed?

Make sure when you put your speeds in you allow it to setup automatically for you. 

You should receive full speeds then doing a wired speed test. 

For Destiny you need to have strict mode off to prevent booting. 

Once you've got your full speeds put the sliders to 70/70 to prevent anything impacting your connection - your speeds will slow but it will massively help in eliminating any lag/buffering.

Thanks for the reply. I had everything as you said except for the strict box when playing destiny. But even when that box was checked and i was on say netflix the speeds were still low. and after playing destiny for 2 hrs with the box un checked i am still getting speeds of 7down 1.5 up to the test i just ran 4.2 down .8 up (not good). And again if i directly plug my modem box into xbox or laptop speeds are solid 8.5 1.5 every test.

when i hit set speeds to auto it does it then a warning box pops up and i click ok and it goes away. Is it not working properly? Also if i put the speeds to 1 and 1 and run a test its comes back as 1 down and 1 up with it set to auto with the warning box. sorry if confusing just saying if it truly sets it to auto shouldn't i be able to put whatever in the box and it would still come back with my true speed?

Don't worry about the empty 'warning' message, I get that message when I save my bandwidth too and it doesn't cause any ill-effects.

Could you post some pictures of your settings so that we can see them?

The 'auto' option doesn't automatically detect your bandwidth, it attempts to optimise your router settings based on the bandwidth that you have entered.

• Administrators

Do you have anti-flood set to 100% & device prioritisation reset when testing for speeds? 

As said above don't worry about the warning message, settings will have changed successfully. Auto as above :)

Do you have anti-flood set to 100% & device prioritisation reset when testing for speeds? 

As said above don't worry about the warning message, settings will have changed successfully. Auto as above :)

Yes, tried for 30 mins to figure out how to post pics finally i found it said i need to press ctrl + v in a box then ok and it will work except when i do ctrl + v nothing happens? easy way to post pics? And again speeds are 99% great with just the modem connected and also when i use my 8+ yr old router lynksis. 

Don't worry about the empty 'warning' message, I get that message when I save my bandwidth too and it doesn't cause any ill-effects.

Could you post some pictures of your settings so that we can see them?

The 'auto' option doesn't automatically detect your bandwidth, it attempts to optimise your router settings based on the bandwidth that you have entered.

I have them but cant figure out how to post them. Feel like im back in high school trying to learn computers lol I used the paste option at the top and it says i need to use ctrl + v to put it in the box then press ok except nothing shows up in the box. 

The low speed test was with the duma wireless on my lap top with everything else turned off. the xbox one was done right after with it hard wired from duma to xbox everything else off. the 7+ one which is my normal (without duma) was done on lap top hard wired form modem only. Same results when doing that on xbox. the black box is my modem. Any other pics help you guys? Also if i put the sliders to 70% then switch tabs and come back there back to 100% with out me touching them. same with preemptive and reactive. dont know if that means anything.

post-6845-0-86111200-1460057078_thumb.jpg

post-6845-0-58958400-1460057084_thumb.jpg

post-6845-0-07290700-1460057089_thumb.jpg

post-6845-0-42989400-1460057093_thumb.jpg

post-6845-0-24406600-1460057101_thumb.jpg

post-6845-0-36658100-1460057108_thumb.jpg

post-6845-0-48479400-1460057114_thumb.jpg

The paste option won't work. In the box you use to reply to this thread click more reply options, you can then attach your pictures, make sure to add them to post :)

ok thanks. sent some pics and tried to explain them. Also i had the vpn for xbox on the last month or so but it has been off for days and no change. turned it off for ping test and just left it off. dont think i have touched any other settings. On the graph i used to have xbox 100% and everything else at 0 but again for days its been reset and those tests were run with everything how it looks in the pics. 

• Administrators

Speed tests for console can be inaccurate, can you do a hardwired PC speed test please.

You can post in the 1 on 1 section and I can take a look but doesn't look like anything would be restricting your speeds.

Speed tests for console can be inaccurate, can you do a hardwired PC speed test please.

You can post in the 1 on 1 section and I can take a look but doesn't look like anything would be restricting your speeds.

hey sorry for the delay i was out of town for a few days. This is a pic with my lap top hard wired into duma. even worse than the wireless test. And sorry but again i know i have satellite internet but they are fiber optic (their words) they are un wired broadband in the central valley in California USA and when i use my old router the speeds are 99% 7+ down and 1.5 up and also the same when i use just the modem. Anyway i will attempt to schedule a 1 on 1 so not sure if you just want to ignore this or cancel that. 

Archived