Virgin Superhub / Netduma with Xbox Streaming...

Hello. I am sorry for this being my first post, and my apologies if the answer has already been mentioned but i have searched without any answer.

What i am trying to achieve:

I want to have my xbox running through the Netduma then onto the superhub to connect to the internet. I would then like to stream my gaming sessions from my laptop through the superhub's wireless connection, all while having an open NAT.

I have been using the Netduma for a while now, connected like: xbox-netduma-superhub. With all other devices connecting to the superhub either wirelessly or through lan ports.

To stream i had to connect to the netduma's wifi from my laptop. And all was well for a short while. However, some days it was rendered unplayable with the stream sticking for a second and then fast forwarding to get up to date. I put this down to the laptop maybe using bandwidth every now again. However some days were worse than others, and it was driving me up the wall the other day so i set about trynig to sort it.

I have tried bridging the Netduma with the superhub. So using 192.168.0.2 for the superhub, and 192.168.0.1 for the Netduma, using the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0) and removing DHCP on the Netduma.

I was able to stream from the xbox to my laptop perfectly using the 5Ghz wifi, no lag, dropouts etc. However i can only assume i was experiencing double NAT problems, where my NAT was strict no matter what ports i forwarded or what i put in the Superhubs DMZ. I could obviously also connect the the Netduma's home page which i could not do before. The next problem was that the Xbox would not work with Host management, when i booted a game of Black Ops up for example, no hosts showed up in the map.

So i went from having lag during streaming but having an open NAT and Host control, to perfect streaming but no host control and friends unable to join our party due to strict NAT.

I don't have a lot of experience with networking so i am looking at you guys for help. I don't even know if what i want to do is even possible. I think i had the routers set up as LAN-LAN, which is why i was able to connect to xbox and Netduma etc, i am under the impression if i use LAN-WAN i won't be able to communicate with the Netduma or Xbox, meaning i won't be able to stream.

I know the first response is going to be 'Run the superhub in modem mode' and have everything connected to the Netduma, and if the wifi was half reasonable i would, but paying for 200mb down and only getting 30 after going through the various setup guides on here, is really a killer for me.

Thank you for reading and i hope someone can help.

I'm running latest firmware btw.

I don't know about the streaming issue but someone on here will no doubt be able to help you.

With regard to the Superhub in modem mode: I have mine setup that way and get the full speeds coming through, not as fast as what you pay for but 60down so still double what you're getting.

I'm not rubbing it in, just saying it can be done.

Perhaps post screenshots of your settings so that the gurus can see how you have configured it?

J

I have since reset both routers to factory in order to start fresh, but then I could not get into either config page of both routers by cable, and now I'm out for the afternoon so I won't be able to do anything till later. I think really all I wanted was some clarification if communicating with the Xbox through two routers was even possible, will still using host filter.

Right, is it necessary to change the Duma's Host address to one ABOVE the Superhub? As it seems i am only able to change the third number, not the last which is locked at 1. So i can change the Superhub  address to 192.168.0.2 and have the Duma at 192.168.0.1. Is this right? or does the Duma have to be higher?

Since resetting both routers i have been completely stumped.

I cannot access either router via ethernet cable to access the config page. Sometimes i can access the Superhub one, but then i wll change the password and/or another setting and reboot i lose connectivity to it. I can access it most of the time via wifi. Obviously  cannot access the Netduma at all now. I spent 4 hours tryng to get the house back on the internet but with so many devices using wifi i was struggling to keep up with the IP's. I figured if i could disable wifi and connect only y laptop up via ethernet cable i could get somewhere. I can't even access the internet. Main error i get is something like an invalid IP configuration or no comms with gateway. I have tried 3 different cables in all the ports on the back, exactly the same though.

I have another laptop which i am going to try tonight, but i was so pissed off last night i had to call time before i threw something. I reset both routers again, plugged everythign back in and left it, hoping at least i could use the wifi.

This morning i typed 192.168.0.1 in my phone which was connected to the Superhub 5Ghz wifi, and it came up with the Netduma config page??? I went into settings and it's host ip is the standard 192.168.88.1. What gives?!

I don't know about the streaming issue but someone on here will no doubt be able to help you.

With regard to the Superhub in modem mode: I have mine setup that way and get the full speeds coming through, not as fast as what you pay for but 60down so still double what you're getting.

I'm not rubbing it in, just saying it can be done.

Perhaps post screenshots of your settings so that the gurus can see how you have configured it?

J

As mentioned i have both routers nw running from a hard reset, so standard settings all round.

I can get 210mb download via a speed test, WIRELESSLY, via the superhub 5Ghz wifi, and it was consistant. The Netduma could not even come close to that, even by reoving the Superhubs 2.4Ghz wifi out of the equation. Don't know what it is but after reading pages and pages of the same problem on here, i decided i do not want to use the Duma's flaky wifi and would stick with the Superhub instead, hence why modem only mode is not viable for me.

Can't believe i had everything working except the host filtering and the nat problem. Seems like i have gone backwards.

• Administrators

As you don't want to do the recommended installation I would suggest the following.

Super hub with R1 in the DMZ. Connect your Xbox to the duma. Then for streaming I would wire into the duma itself if possible. If don't need to look at the interface with playing just connect laptop to super hub, perhaps have a phone connected to the duma for any quick changes you want to make. 

As you don't want to do the recommended installation I would suggest the following.

Super hub with R1 in the DMZ. Connect your Xbox to the duma. Then for streaming I would wire into the duma itself if possible. If don't need to look at the interface with playing just connect laptop to super hub, perhaps have a phone connected to the duma for any quick changes you want to make. 

Hi Fraser. Not so much not wanting to, it's just not physically possible in this situation. The R1's wifi just isn't good enough to stream from. I could be next to router and the jitter/stream lag still happens. Whereas if i use the 5ghz Superhub wifi it works flawlessly. I know it's not ideal playing a FPS over stream but actually i have done really well in most matches (70% of my play time is streaming through the Xbox app.

Anyway, as i have just set up the R1 and left it in the past, i could definately be interested in using a phone for ui purposes. I've had a mare trying to get back to the point i was at on Saturday night, but now have the xbox streaming perfectly through 5ghz wifi, and xbox connected to the internet, however, currently according to the xbox dashboard my NAT is strict. Even though R1 is in the superhub DMZ. Not only that but host filtering is not working. I have added the xbox into devices and made sure it is enabled. Here is my setup:

Superhub - 2.4ghz + 5ghz enabled, 3 wired devices. IP=192.168.0.2, DMZ=192.168.0.1, UPnP disabled, DHCP enabled

Lan Port

|

Lan Port

Netduma R1 - Wifi disabled, Only Xbox wired. IP=192.168.0.1, UPnP enabled, DHCP disabled, UPnP Forwarding disabled

Lan Port

|

Xbox One

Internet diagnostics in the R1 shows:

Ping = Terrible

Jitter = Terrible

Spikes = Terrible

Packet Loss = No Loss

I guess i could look into gettign some power lines to connect, but it's not ideal. Let me know if you need any other info.

Really looking forward to a resolution to this as currently with this setup i may as well not have the R1 connected at all. Cheers.

P.S

I am getting a "Error loading misc page. Please post issue at forum ...", seems as though the Cloud section has a loading bar animation next to it, and does not load.

• Administrators

Hey, sorry for the late reply. 

The issue with the wifi could very well because not all devices are connected to the duma. So you cannot use the congestion control to eliminate any local congestion. 

For your wired speeds input them into bandwidth settings and allow it to auto setup. 

The internet diagnosis test is a pure line test. I would hazard a guess that there is maybe an issue with the ethernet cable connecting the duma to the super hub so I would recommend trying another and redoing the test.

Hi Fraser, thanks for the reply.

I have tried all sorts to get the setup i want, but nothing seems to work without losing one or more features. I have reverted back to the original setup, as Superhub with 5ghz wifi enabled, with all devices connected, and using the R1 setup as it's own sub network, attached via WAN to the Superhub and the Xbox connected to that. I now stream through the R1 wifi at 2.4ghz and put up with the drop outs until i can either get some powerlines or approach from a different angle. I have another Netgear router which was top of the line about 4 years ago stored somewhere and i even thought about havng the Superhub in modem mode and using that as a bridge between the 2, but having 3 routers just to run and stream an Xbox is a bit excessive.

Anyway, all is running ok for now again, my internet diagnostics are saying good to exceptional (using the same cable), and my NAT is open once again.

Archived