Source Port Range vs Destination Port Range

. I just wanted to know what is the difference between Source port range and Destination port range?  I can manually add ports and you name the game in the first field then select the protocol udp,tcp or both after that you get source port range follow by Destination ip address I put my Xbox one address in there and finally you get Destination port range. I added a picture of the current set up and just want to know if I should use the source range too?

Guest Netduma_Iain

Are you kiddin me? Ok I'll make an exception this time BUT we will not start supporting different products here.

Ports are used at the transport layer to demultiplex connections for a single host. Since the connection is symmetric it could mean different things based on context. But for residential equipment destination probably means the port of the remote host and source will mean the port of the local host.

Are you kiddin me? Ok I'll make an exception this time BUT we will not start supporting different products here.

Ports are used at the transport layer to demultiplex connections for a single host. Since the connection is symmetric it could mean different things based on context. But for residential equipment destination probably means the port of the remote host and source will mean the port of the local host.

Perhaps this should be a sub category in the forum, so that members can help other members with their setup.  But so official support (netduma team) don't have to answer any questions.

Perhaps this should be a sub category in the forum, so that members can help other members with their setup.  But so official support (netduma team) don't have to answer any questions.

we have no issues assisting people with general networking issues but assiting with issue with products that are not ours... nope bar this one I will delete any I see

I actually typed a reply to this and would of been first reply.

Needless to say it wasn't a good reply so I deleted it rather than require Adam to edit my post haha.

I think Netduma should just delete post. It will tag on Google for any search will it not?

Wow after reading all these comments I will not be buying the netduma now. You people seem so nice on twitter all the time but act like this now. It shouldn't matter what product people have I was referred to come here and ask for help. I have never seen source port range before and I am not a networking nerd so calm down. Now seriously there is people out there like battle beaver customs and they work on any controller even if its been with a competitor like scuf or cinch. They never talk bad about another company or product they only give a honest review and they help anyone....The only reason I came here in the first place was because  didn't have any information about it and they also take a long time to reply on emails...they said they were hacked once. But shame on you people really you need to learn to help everyone and not just help your product. I am disgusted at this I was actually ordering a Netduma this Friday but now I am not even going to do that. Either way or Netduma you are both over priced just out to get the quick bucks like .   

did not have any info on a tool they have on their product and do not answer emails fast because they were once hacked , hum

Iain gave you the full information

"Ports are used at the transport layer to demultiplex connections for a single host. Since the connection is symmetric it could mean different things based on context. But for residential equipment destination probably means the port of the remote host and source will mean the port of the local host."

Guest Netduma_Iain

I did answer your question..... Btw stop trying to seo said company.

Adam could you edit this please.

Wow after reading all these comments I will not be buying the netduma now. You people seem so nice on twitter all the time but act like this now. It shouldn't matter what product people have I was referred to come here and ask for help. I have never seen source port range before and I am not a networking nerd so calm down. Now seriously there is people out there like battle beaver customs and they work on any controller even if its been with a competitor like scuf or cinch. They never talk bad about another company or product they only give a honest review and they help anyone....The only reason I came here in the first place was because  didn't have any information about it and they also take a long time to reply on emails...they said they were hacked once. But shame on you people really you need to learn to help everyone and not just help your product. I am disgusted at this I was actually ordering a Netduma this Friday but now I am not even going to do that. Either way  or Netduma you are both over priced just out to get the quick bucks like 

Hi,

There seems to be some confusion here so I apologize if you wrongly assumed this forum wasn't a support forum for our product, but a general networking advice forum. Just to clarify this is a support forum for our product. We are more than happy to assist our customers or potential customers with networking issue that relate to other third party devices connecting to our product. But your post was akin to going on to Microsofts internet explorer support forums and asking why Chrome doesn't work.

Iain gave you the answer, and at no point have we "talked bad about another company or product", let's be clear here the company you actually purchased a product from didn't answer your question and fobbed you off, we on the other hand -a company who you haven't purchased a product from did... yet we get the "shame on you" comment?

I shall now be looking into the implications of chutzpah and the affect this had on purchasing decisions as this may help us as a company grow and better understand our potential customer base. So thank you.

Archived