Nighthawk R7000 router setup with NETDUMA

Hello my current setup is a Comcast internet-->Cable Modem--->Nighthawk R7000 --->4 port switch ---->NETGEAR WNDR3700(access point)

--->PS4

My PS4 is directly connected to my Nighthawk. I don't have any dmz and I don't have a static ip address for PS4. My internet speeds are 94 Mbps DOWN and 12 Mbps UPLOAD. I usually haven't had much issues with online gaming until Call of Duty Advanced Warfare has been out. It's gotten so ridiculous at times which is why I decided to purchase a netduma in hopes of fixing a lot of the lag issues I'm having. I've been reading through the forums and I want the best possible setup to take advantage of my netduma as well as my AC wireless capabilities with my Nighthawk router. I'm open for any suggestions and I know basics, but I rather get detailed step by step instructions to get my network to work as best as possible but also maximizing my online gaming experience. I assume the best setup would be having my netduma be my main router and have my nighthawk act as an access point. I would probably move my Nighthawk router upstairs in my house and remove all together my NETGEAR WNDR3700 which used to be an access point. Is it ok for having the wifi be on for both my nighthawk and netduma??? or will I lose some wifi speeds due to interference??? I also would like my netduma and nighthawk to be on the same network kind of like how my Nighthawk and NETGEAR WNDR3700 are. Here are pictures of my current Setup for both.

NIGHTHAWK R8000:

post-1094-0-28953900-1425519654_thumb.jpg

NETGEAR WNDR3700 (current access point):

post-1094-0-66011800-1425519698_thumb.jpg

Could you please provide me best possible setup to take full advantages netduma but still use my nighthawk wifi capabilities with everything being on same network.

Thanks so much,

Oringer 

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Oringer,

There a few threads on setting up the nighthawk itself. I'd recommend searching for them if you want to continue to use it as I've never used it myself so I can't really be that helpful with specfic directions. Maybe other users here can post. But purely from a network topology pov I recommend:

modem > netduma > alll devices

Unless you want the wifi from the Nighthawk in wich case I'd do

modem > netduma(no wifi) > Nighthawk(AP mode) + all wired devices to duma > All wifi devices to nighthawk

Hope that helps mate

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I have my netduma as main router and my nighthawk I use as access point for wireless and I have another netgear router that I use as another access point.

I setup my network with netgear routers having ip address within my netduma router. I'm not an expert so my apologies if I make any error.

IP ADDRESS:

Netduma 192.168.88.1

Nighthawk 192.88.2

Netgear 3700 192.168.88.3

One reason I do this is so I can go into my setup in router from anywhere on my network. My question is this ok? I see my two nether routers show up on prioritization control. Is this ok? and what happens if I set it to 0% for any of my netgear routers. Will this do anything? as in if it's at 0% will devices connected to one of my netgear routers get no bandwith??? there a way to remove my routers from the prioritization list? the main thing is I'm not sure if I set the prioritization lower on one of my netgear routers will all devices going through that router have bandwidth limited or does seeing the two netgear routers on prioritization control mean nothing?????

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok I'm not sure what access point mode means in the neatgear but ideally it would stop being a router and become transparent. Which means that you wouldn't see it on the device prio and instead would see the devices its connected to.

However if its acting as a router like it sounds above then all the devices connected to the paticuar nighthawk will appear as one device the nighthawk. It masquerades all of them, hope that helps. 

Maybe I have my setup completely wrong. Should I take my other routers and put them in Access Point mode to keep them from showing up in my congestion control? if I do that, whats the best way to access those routers setup if I need to later on? I'm a noob. If I don't make any sense I definitely could use some pointing in the right direction to have a proper setup. I want my netduma as primary router, nighthawk for the wifi, and my WNDR 3700 to connect other devices using its internet ports. Thanks for the help!!!!

Guest Netduma_Iain

I'm not sure ORINGER how you access it once its in access point mode. You'll either have to lookup their support or manual or wait for a customer thats used it to comment. I've never used them I'm afriad. 

I'm way confused.... If I have my netduma as primary router with DCHP on and my other routers to use them as ways to connect more devices in my network I have them with DCHP off. what ip address should I give my routers and subnet?? do I want my netgear routers to be completely different then netduma? 

netduma: 192.168.88.1

nighthawk: 192.168.88.2

netgear 3700: 192.168.88.3

subnet is 255.255.255.0 for all. 

will this work or does it need to be different so my other routers don't show up for congestion control??

Guest Netduma_Iain

You have two options. Its the same principle for both routers mate. Either:

1. You have the nighthawks running in access point mode(if its what I think it is) which would mean the nighthawks don't get an IP and on the R1 you could see all the devices connected to the nighthawk. The only downside is I don't know how you undo this
  2. You have the nighthawks behave as normal routers in which case just wired them to the router and they should automatically set themselves up. You don't need to give them static IP address

Hope that helps man

ok so I made my network more simple. I used the walkthrough to make my nighthawk router an AP. I have that hardwired to my netduma and I also have a linksys switch that I use for ethernet going to various spots in my house hardwired to my netduma. When I go to device prioritization on netduma settings my switch and my nighthawk show up on it. Does this matter or is there a way to remove these devices from the list??? Thanks for the help

Guest Netduma_Iain

ORINGER the switch should definitely not show up. 

If the nighthawk shows up then remember it represents every device connected to the nighthawk. So they are treated as one device now. Does that make sense?

OK so my switches are not showing up on the netduma device prioritization mode. My nighthawk router still is in AP mode and the netduma assigns it IP address of 192.168.88.79. It seems that in order to be in AP mode the main router has to assign it an IP address. I just don't see how I can get the device priotization to not show my nighthawk and that the only way to control bandwidth for devices is that they are either connected wired or wirelessly directly to the netduma. if there is a workaround I would love any advice.

here are the settings of my nighthawk in AP mode:

1426529149-U1094.jpg

my netduma are on default settings

I have the Nighthawk also. It is set up in AP mode. Wifi on the Netduma is off. All devices connected wirelessly as well as the Nighthawk itself show up in the device manager and CC section. I'm not sure if the device prioritization will be able to prioritize above the value that you set for the Nighthawk. If needed I can take some screen shots when I get home from work today.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Thanks for posting Pie. ORINGER if Pie is correct and you can see the devices connected to the nighthawk AND the nighthawk itself. Its probably there to allow you to take the nighthawk out of access point mode. In which case you can safely ignore it. 

I have the R7000 and Netduma, this is the way I connected it, and still have WiFi via the R7000 for the household.

Modem -> Netduma -> R7000 Router

From Netduma I have my Gaming PC hooked up, for you this is where you want your XBOX or PS4 connected to, from the Netduma.

Then I had to put R7000 in AP mode by following these notes -> http://kb.netgear.co...oint-(ap-mode)?A

I may have put it into AP first before connecting to Netduma.

Here is what my Device Prioritization page looks like. 

i-kWVFx26-XL.png

And this is what my Host Filtering page looks like.  As you can see only my PC and my wife's laptop shows up, Not the R7000 even though it is connected to the Netduma.

I am a PC Gamer and do not have an XBOX/PS4, but this is where you need to connect your XBOX/PS4, directly to the Netduma. Or if you have to go WiFi, then connect to the Netduma's WiFi for your XBOX/PS4. 

i-VBmMLR6-XL.png

My home filtering page is the same as you and so is my prioritization page. From your setup it looks like I had everything setup right in the first place. I believe if you setup a router as an AP it has to have a up address given dynamically or assign it an IP address. I think if routers show up on device priorytization page there be a future update to hide the router from the list of devices. Anyways, thanks for the info. Ny next issue I'm dealing with is that I still get lag in Advanced warfare. I live in Denver Colorado and I see that I connect to servers a lot in Texas. My ping graphs shows good ping 25-30 ms but I get these lag spikes or freezes during gameplay. Will still keep making tweaks.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok gald its setup correctly. I highly recommend using wire for any gaming device. If you need further assistance about lag start a new thread please. 

I have the R7000 and Netduma, this is the way I connected it, and still have WiFi via the R7000 for the household.

Modem -> Netduma -> R7000 Router

From Netduma I have my Gaming PC hooked up, for you this is where you want your XBOX or PS4 connected to, from the Netduma.

Then I had to put R7000 in AP mode by following these notes -> http://kb.netgear.co...oint-(ap-mode)?A

I may have put it into AP first before connecting to Netduma.

Here is what my Device Prioritization page looks like. 

i-kWVFx26-XL.png

And this is what my Host Filtering page looks like.  As you can see only my PC and my wife's laptop shows up, Not the R7000 even though it is connected to the Netduma.

I am a PC Gamer and do not have an XBOX/PS4, but this is where you need to connect your XBOX/PS4, directly to the Netduma. Or if you have to go WiFi, then connect to the Netduma's WiFi for your XBOX/PS4. 

i-VBmMLR6-XL.png

I'm amazed at how many things you have hooked up. Impressive.

Archived