Bridging With Nighthawk

cranium2001

What's the best way to setup while leaving my nighthawk in place for the other items in the house? I want to just use this for my xbox one. Should I put it between the nighthawk and the one? Any suggestions or actual setups anyone has would be appreciated. Thanks-Chris

Very cool. I have the r6300 v2 but thinking about getting the Nighthawk. I have my Modem to R1 to my Netgear router as an access point. I turned off the wifi on my R1.

Yeah that works well. That way I can still use the Netgear router but the features on the R1. I use my cell and tablet to get to the interface because I game downstairs. My pic is upstairs.

I have the R7000 router and I went this way - ISP Modem -> Netduma ->R7000

From Netduma -> Gaming PC ( I do not have any Console units)

I had to put R7000 in AP mode -> http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23814/~/how-to-manually-configure-the-nighthawk-r7000-router-as-access-point-%28ap-mode%29%3F

I have tons of devices working off my R7000 and I can see them with the Netduma via the Networking section as well as the Congestion Control.

You want to have your gaming unit connected directly to your Netduma instead of the R7000 to take advantage of the other features.  So be it your Gaming PC or your console, I would have a Ethernet connected directly to the Netduma or of course you could go Wifi.

i-8kPSZzq-M.png

For the record, I put the netduma between the nighthawk and the xbox one. For the initial setup I plugged in the laptop to the duma, did the setup and ☆BAM☆ all set. Now I use my phone to change any settings. Super happy. If anyone else sees this, you need to download the beta 7 (?) and install before you can use the distance settings. If you need any help message me. I'll be glad to help you through it. Thanks newman for the videos.

Hi all,

First off great post. This is what I am looking for.

I have the Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Model # R8000.

Waiting for netduma router to arrive and was wondering which way is better to setup.

modem/netduma/netgear?

modem/netgear/netduma?

I did a speedtest on speedtest.net and my numbers are:

ping 11

170 download and 23 upload provider is Comcast.

So far for me running it after the nighthawk is working just fine. There's learning curve on initial setup. I would do it with a laptop if possible. I plugged my netduma in right by my xbox one and then plugged the laptop in. Typed in 192.168.88.1 and good to go.

I then did the beta 7 update (search it in the forum or if you need I'll send you the link). This is a must. Without it I couldn't adjust the distance filter. I set the ping to 50 and the distance (for now) to 1000 miles. Just take the tour and it should be pretty simple. If not let me know. I added you on xbox one.

Guest Netduma Fraser

Hi all,

First off great post. This is what I am looking for.

I have the Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Model # R8000.

Waiting for netduma router to arrive and was wondering which way is better to setup.

modem/netduma/netgear?

modem/netgear/netduma?

I did a speedtest on speedtest.net and my numbers are:

ping 11

170 download and 23 upload provider is Comcast.

Hey Jason, thanks for purchasing! Thats dependent on what you really want to get out of it. If you're the only person on your network then with that speed you shouldn't really need the congestion control. However, if you need this then every device will have to run through the duma. If you just want to use the Geo-filter for example then you have a lot more flexibility as long as the device you're going to use is connected to the R1. 

So far for me running it after the nighthawk is working just fine. There's learning curve on initial setup. I would do it with a laptop if possible. I plugged my netduma in right by my xbox one and then plugged the laptop in. Typed in 192.168.88.1 and good to go.

I then did the beta 7 update (search it in the forum or if you need I'll send you the link). This is a must. Without it I couldn't adjust the distance filter. I set the ping to 50 and the distance (for now) to 1000 miles. Just take the tour and it should be pretty simple. If not let me know. I added you on xbox one.

Thanks cranium! :) 

I'm not the only person on my network.

I have the following:

xboxone wired to netgear.

xbox360 wired to netgear.

another xbox360 wireless to netgear.

2 pc's wired to netgear.

2 iphones wireless to netgear.

3 ipod's wireless to netgear.

1 ipad wireless to netgear.

2 laptops wireless to netgear.

Guest Netduma Fraser

I'm not the only person on my network.

I have the following:

xboxone wired to netgear.

xbox360 wired to netgear.

another xbox360 wireless to netgear.

2 pc's wired to netgear.

2 iphones wireless to netgear.

3 ipod's wireless to netgear.

1 ipad wireless to netgear.

2 laptops wireless to netgear.

In that case I would recommend a similar setup to the one BLCUSF posted and have your consoles connected to the R1 :) You could always replace the netgear with the R1 and have every device going through it. 

I am on Xbox one also and my gt is TeH C1SCO K1D

Add me too! :D

Archived