Bo3 Geographical Location (PS4)

Since the launch of the game for whatever reason when I goto game settings and click Geographical Location the game likes to say I am located in New Jersey when I actually live in Houston, Texas. I have multiple friends with this problem. Any known fixes out there?

I assume you are on Comcast/Xfinity?

Go into Settings>WAN>WAN MAC Address set it to enabled... Then enter your modem's MAC address and hit Apply

Then go to your modem and power cycle it. Should change your IP and location on BO3 :)

I assume you are on Comcast/Xfinity?

Go into Settings>WAN>WAN MAC Address set it to enabled... Then enter your modem's MAC address and hit Apply

Then go to your modem and power cycle it. Should change your IP and location on BO3 :)

Netduma keeps telling me "invalid mac address"

• Administrators

I really wouldn't worry about it honestly. It means they incorrectly guessing your location. IPs can be misclassified quite a lot so I imagine this is common.

Can anyone comment on if this actually poses an issue in regards to the game?

I really wouldn't worry about it honestly. It means they incorrectly guessing your location. IPs can be misclassified quite a lot so I imagine this is common.

No it's not an issue to the game,got a friend who lives 30 actual miles away from me in Michigan and his said Scottsdale,Arizona this was on BO2.He called his ISP and they told him this is how the hub-central office sees his location a that's how the traffic is routed.Now weather this is true or not I have no idea but 3 days after his call to his ISP it changed back to his home town.

I would assume it's more of a pain in the ass than anything,as long as that's not where it's putting your home location,which can be changed,I don't think it makes a difference.But it would bug the shit out of me,so I can understand where he's coming from.

It could mess with which servers you are put on

I have comcast and have talked about this quite a bit. I have many mac-addresses that I use to obtain many different assigned IP addresses from comcast. In fact, I've done this so much, I have most of the mac addresses in my household memorized and I can look at an IP address and know what my geo-location is going to be in Black-Ops 3 without even having to  look lol...

I have found that my geo-location reported in game, has no affect on anything. I still get put in the same dedicated server of VA when I'm not filtering anything and just running my normal connection. So as far as black-ops is concerned, don't worry about it.

Where it does bother me though, is when I open my browser and I am searching or shopping online. Say for example, I want to find out if my local Best-Buy has the elgato hd 60 in stock. When I go to the bestbuy website, they will assume my local store is near where my IP location is showing up. So they may be showing me that the elgato is in stock in New-Jersey, but I live in Indiana..   So thats always a hassle to navigate a site and have to manually pick my local store etc...

Using google maps and stuff like that, will start me off in the wrong location etc...  Adware etc will be messed up, show me wrong kind of stuff and locations... Not a big deal, but is an issue.

I have a list of all the mac-addresses of the devices in my house in a text document on my pc-desktop. With the Netduma, you can go into "Settings / DHCP Lease" and find the mac-addys from there. Copy and paste them into a text doc. Now in the Netduma, you can go into "Settings, WAN," and then use the WAN Mac Address. You toggle the enable, and then paste in the copied mac-addy. Now click apply at the bottom of that page.   Now leave your Netduma on, and simply unplug the power from your modem. Wait about 10 to 30 seconds at least, and then plug it back in. Now your modem will boot up and use that new mac-addy and hopefully get you a different IP address. You can then use black-ops to check your geo-location, or simply google your new IP address. THere are quite a few organizations who chart and map this stuff, most of them will be different.

You can just tinker around and try and get an IP that gets as close to your home location as possible. If you live in a big-city, you'll probably have some luck and get it correct. Me though, I live in a very small town, so the closest Geo location I can get is another small town about 20 minutes away...  

Hope that helps. As stated though, not a big deal and don't stress over it.

You should be able to choose the servers you get put on with the Geo though

That's not true at all. If the game sees I'm on the east coast I never get put on west coast servers. It will only search locally

That's not true at all. If the game sees I'm on the east coast I never get put on west coast servers. It will only search locally

You can move your home location and keep your filter over top of a west-coast server, and you should be able to "camp" a server that way. I believe that is what he is saying. Yeah with the Netduma geo-filter turned off, the game is gonna throw you into what it thinks is the best server for you based on your  ping. (Edit: I did say based on IP location, which counters what I just said up above. I removed that blurb, didn't mean that at all.  Again, my testing has shown that geo-location, which is based off what they think you location is, does not seem to affect anything in black-ops 3) So basically I have to assume, that the game puts you in the dedicated server where you have the lowest ping, and thats gonna be the closest server unless you got some really funky routing going on from your ISP)

That's the beauty of the Netduma, you can counter this and get away from a server and "camp" somewhere else.  For us in the states, with even a descent internet connection, you should be able to get a ping of under 100ms to any of the US dedi's, and get in.   (I know when I camp in EU, the only server I can get into is in Ireland.

So yeah use the filters, use strict, move your home location near or on top of a server you want to get in, wait two minutes, (or I simply reboot the R1, that takes less time) and then you should be able to play on a west-coast server even though you are on the east coast.

It could mess with which servers you are put on

Yes it does. It would put my location at 10 to 5o miles away from where I actually live and the game plays bad no matter what I do. But when it puts me in the city I live in or closer the game is better.

You should be able to choose the servers you get put on with the Geo though

You do but for me it plays bad when I am in the wrong location in BO3. I asked my ISP and they said that is normal.

It could be, by getting a different IP address, your routing is getting changed. You'll always follow your line to your local hub, but from there perhaps the routing can split off and do some funky things. Maybe somebody way more technical could jump in here and talk about that. I know what drives me nuts, is using something like piing-plotter, I can watch my data travel north to Kokomo Indiana, then it goes back south to Indianapolis, to only then shoot up north past Kokomo again to Chicago. Thats just stupid and bad routing, too many wasted hops adding to the ping...

I just tested blackops3 again by getting a west coast geo-location. Fired up the game and it still puts me in VA. That's with all filters off and the Netduma not doing anything. So the game is looking at my actual data and actual location and based off that, simply using my ping to put me in the server that I am closest to. Now turning the filters on and letting the Netduma do its thing, I can get away from the VA server and I actually do better in the server that shows up in Iowa, where my ping is a little bit higher.  Seattle and the server in Ca my ping is around 80+ and sometimes they are great for me due to how bad this game is, and sometimes they are bad.. how they should be.

You can move your home location and keep your filter over top of a west-coast server, and you should be able to "camp" a server that way. I believe that is what he is saying. Yeah with the Netduma geo-filter turned off, the game is gonna throw you into what it thinks is the best server for you based on your  ping. (Edit: I did say based on IP location, which counters what I just said up above. I removed that blurb, didn't mean that at all.  Again, my testing has shown that geo-location, which is based off what they think you location is, does not seem to affect anything in black-ops 3) So basically I have to assume, that the game puts you in the dedicated server where you have the lowest ping, and thats gonna be the closest server unless you got some really funky routing going on from your ISP)

That's the beauty of the Netduma, you can counter this and get away from a server and "camp" somewhere else.  For us in the states, with even a descent internet connection, you should be able to get a ping of under 100ms to any of the US dedi's, and get in.   (I know when I camp in EU, the only server I can get into is in Ireland.

So yeah use the filters, use strict, move your home location near or on top of a server you want to get in, wait two minutes, (or I simply reboot the R1, that takes less time) and then you should be able to play on a west-coast server even though you are on the east coast.

You can certainly move your location on the geo filter, but it won't ever put you into a game... I've done it before since I game at 4,5,6,7am eastern time it's hard to find a game on the east... Searching for a west coast server almost never finds a game and when it does I'm in a lobby by myself and nobody connects.

Archived