Is Netduma worth it when living in the Middle East ?

I want to buy the Netduma R1 router but i live in Cyprus, and to my knowledge there are no dedicated servers nearby. In that case will i benefit from using the Netduma Geofilter and the router in general ?? Or will i need to set it too far anyway to locate hosts that any gains in lag would be minimal due to the already increased distance ???

Awaiting for an answer here please. Thanks in advance for any help given.

Halla, :)

Using geo-filter in our region will result into host games such as the ones you used to have in blackops 2.

However this doesn't gurantee good connection.. depends on whose holding host and how good his connection is .. aswell as the fact that blackops 3 is not optimized for hosts and lobbies will often end after the game finishes if the hosts migrates.. If you are able to hold host that also doesn't gurantee that you will pull people to your lobby... it depends on your isp config of your network and how good it is compatible with other isps in your area.. if any more info is needed please do not hesitate to ask..

• Administrators

Hey welcome to the forum, you've got some good advice above, I'll just add a bit. 

Depending on what games you usually get you'll be able to get the closest dedicated servers to you in Europe, you won't have a super low ping but potentially lower than normal. 

As above you can potentially get P2P games in your region.

The congestion control will ensure any lag caused by devices in your home is eliminated so your connection will be optimised as much as possible.

First, thank you very much for your replies. I found them helpful enough. Now in order to be a bit more specific  and talk numbers... The best Ping i can get is 84ms and thats 30-40% of the time. I am usually playing with 100-117 ms ... Do you think that getting the netduma will lower those numbers? I am not expecting to get a 30ms or 40 ms lobby but even if i can get to 50-60 ms territory that for me would be a huge improvement...

What do you think ? Is that a realistic target ???

Thanks again  for your help ...

Hi, there are a few people who own Netdumas from around Southern Europe. I think Sgt Greco is one guy who I think is from Greece so he may be better placed to give you information on dedis, pings, geo filter range etc :)

Netduma will connect you to the nearest server, if you can provide a link to your country in the map i can approximate the nearest server to you if its near you within 1000 kms or less then i can definately say that you will be hitting low pings .. however if its 1000-2000 away from you it might be the same as before... with the net duma you can also block servers that will give you bad connections so you willl be able to connect another lobby.. there are a few more benefits than connecting to the nearest server.. there is also the traffic control in the router than can help your gaming experience if there are multiple users in your house.

• Administrators

We have a few users in Cyprus and Greece and many users in Saudia Arabia (one of our top 10 countries I believe). All features other than Geo-Filter will work anywhere in the world. So for example congestion control will stop other people or devices making you lag when they use the connection.

The Geo-Filter will help you get the nearest connection. If you live somewhere remote you'll can't get connections as good as ones in densely populated areas. For example:

• I've seen customers in New York who expect below 20ms (which is absurdly low, but that is because they live in a populated area)
  • We have customers in Hawaii who can force games in California around 60ms

The Hawaii customers are still happy because they are used to playing on 200ms+ when connecting trans-america or trans-continental. So relatively you should see an improvement.

I understand that all the other features will work and that is a good thing. Can you please tell me how far is the nearest dedicated server from my location ?

Also even if that is far away will P2P matchmaking provide a better alternative than my current 84-133 ms connections ?

Even a consistent and reliable 50-60ms matchmaking would be a valid reason to buy the router ... My main concern is to drop the ping response times. The house is not so busy, so the load balancing feature is not of a major concern to me. What matters the most is to be able to play on a fair level against the opposition...

Thanks again for the support...

• Administrators

The nearest server will depend on what game and may change over time. I have no idea but I believe Alsa gave you some assistance. Hopefully some other customers can help you out although I don't think most customers check this forum daily. 

Netduma will connect you to the nearest server, if you can provide a link to your country in the map i can approximate the nearest server to you if its near you within 1000 kms or less then i can definately say that you will be hitting low pings .. however if its 1000-2000 away from you it might be the same as before... with the net duma you can also block servers that will give you bad connections so you willl be able to connect another lobby.. there are a few more benefits than connecting to the nearest server.. there is also the traffic control in the router than can help your gaming experience if there are multiple users in your house.

^^ True

It's possible to force p2p games and host a game. The problem is that you have to choose populated game modes and wait for a long period of time.

One thing is for sure. Once you get to host a game the smile on your face will be wiped off within the next minute. It's like the game itself punishes you for finding a workaround to have some fun :(

I've also noticed that you are not connected necessarily to the nearest server (Milan server in our case) but the fastest (Netherlands server in our case).

Keep in mind that Netduma is not just GeoFilter. It's also Congestion Control, Network Monitor, Device Manager, dozens of good people willing to help and support you, investment for the  future, and a perfect example of how a small start up company can flourish.

Closest server to you is within 2000-3000 KM range.. Am afraid that is still too far for a good server connection below 80 ping... I am getting 100 ping and higher on 4000-5000 range... the problem is physical distance.. no solution for that.. will it help you get good games more often ? yeah sure it will. No crazy results tho.

EDIT: Router will make sure you always get that 84 ping. You can set the radius to cover the closest server to you and every other server will be out.

There is a point I missed.

Blackops 3 P2P is so broken that you will only and mostly connect to people within your country only* on the same ISP as you.

Their code for p2p games is the worst network code I've ever experienced.

No, I have it and I live in Saudi Arabia, I'm always matching with people from Europe in Destiny and if you enable the strict mode you will be kicked out to the orbit many times to find a match.

Destiny P2P game type.
GD luck.

• Administrators

NO!

Perhaps the Geo-filter is not as useful in your region. However, our congestion control, hyper traffic etc will make a difference wherever you are located. On this basis alone no other router comes close to achieving what we can.

Archived