Powerline Adapter Recommendations

PharmDawgg

Sure, let me know if I get a little heady here.

Essentially a transmission medium (wires, cables and the like) have two states.  

Clean = very little noise or excessive junk (i.e. ingress, egress, second and triple order distortion/ghosts based on signal strength).  This is ideal.

Everything else = Added impulses, ingress signals, over modulation and 2nd or 3rd order beats.  This is bad.

A clean line would be a source (like your DVR or DVD Player) and a run of cable to a load (your TV).  Nothing extra, just the ones and zeros/data of the source being carried by the line in question.

Adding an amplifier/booster or anything "powered", which is what a powered line adapter is doing, takes the power source that is feeding your house and introduces some of that "noise" into the fresh line between source and load.

Now power lines are not clean sources. In fact, when used for VoIP type communication, there is a whole FCC compliance deal that you have to utilize to avoid blasting signals over the known airspace, which can be bad.  

Knowing that, if you power an otherwise clean line with a corrupted source, it will not be clean either.  There are things like harmonic distortion, 2nd and 3rd order beats (which is like a ghost signal that is replicated) and other nasty little electronic variables that CAN be introduced.

So while the intent may be to take a perfectly good source and just stretch it to reach where you want to go, you are actually making the signal worse.

Now if the intent is not as sensitive as "visually watching something" or gaming, you PROBABLY won't immediately notice.  But an "active" line (when power is applied) is ALWAYS noisier than a "passive" line.

(so glad I was able to copy this over to Word before the site crash)

Thanks sir. I really appreciate the info. Basically what I was trying to do was get wired internet to the second floor of my house without having to pull more wires. Currently only connections sources are phone line and coaxial cables currently being uses for cable television. Is wireless currently my only option? Thanks again.

Yup either wireless or get you an electricians bit and start drilling,if your do it correctly no one but you will even know.Although I do find when people do it,the women are usually not huge fans of drilling holes thru the floor,in my case hand scraped hardwood.But once I duct taped and zip tied Mrs Fuzzy and threw her in the closet the project went ahead nicely... :D

Nah Buck, you can fish a line through the walls pretty easy in "most" modern applications.  

When a house or building is framed out, all the studs in the walls are in place and then they run the electrical.  The phone and cable guys usually follow the same routes, but where they need to, they just paddle bit a hole in the fire blocks or studs to pull cables.  The holes are usually 2 to 3 times the size needed.

So, let's see what you have to work with.  

Is this a two story application where the source you have is either directly above or directly below where you want to go?

OR

Do you have an attic (above) or a crawl space (below) that can be used to run a new line?

Yup either wireless or get you an electricians bit and start drilling,if your do it correctly no one but you will even know.Although I do find when people do it,the women are usually not huge fans of drilling holes thru the floor,in my case hand scraped hardwood.But once I duct taped and zip tied Mrs Fuzzy and threw her in the closet the project went ahead nicely... :D

LoL Mrs. Fuzzy duct taped and zip tied! Now let her out of the closet!

Nah Buck, you can fish a line through the walls pretty easy in "most" modern applications.

When a house or building is framed out, all the studs in the walls are in place and then they run the electrical. The phone and cable guys usually follow the same routes, but where they need to, they just paddle bit a hole in the fire blocks or studs to pull cables. The holes are usually 2 to 3 times the size needed.

So, let's see what you have to work with.

Is this a two story application where the source you have is either directly above or directly below where you want to go?

OR

Do you have an attic (above) or a crawl space (below) that can be used to run a new line?

When you say source do you mean where the cable enters the home or where the modem is located. I was basically wanting to extend my wireless internet throughout the home to clear up any dead spots but have the access point/extender hardwired to my network and not wireless. Hope this makes sense. Modem is currently on the second floor and a dead spot on the first floor on the other side of house. I've thought about hardwiring with Powerline adapters and moca adapters. I guess last resort would be pulling Ethernet cables.

I use power line adapters for exactly same reason to feed Ethernet upstairs to mission control.

As long as they plug straight into the wall outlet I have had no issues with them. Ideally yes straight out of modem into device but when not practical I have had no problem with mine.

When you say source do you mean where the cable enters the home or where the modem is located. I was basically wanting to extend my wireless internet throughout the home to clear up any dead spots but have the access point/extender hardwired to my network and not wireless. Hope this makes sense. Modem is currently on the second floor and a dead spot on the first floor on the other side of house. I've thought about hardwiring with Powerline adapters and moca adapters. I guess last resort would be pulling Ethernet cables.

Hey Buck - By source, I mean where you want to extend from.  Although given the application, I am wondering if the contact point of house option wouldn't be viable (depending).

Is the modem on the second floor "mission control" (nods to Bagsta)?  

And you want to extend from there, down a floor, but on the other side of the house?

Is the modem on the second floor "mission control" (nods to Bagsta)?

And you want to extend from there, down a floor, but on the other side of the house?

Yes the modem is on the second floor and if I could somehow go down to the the room right below mission control would be awesome. There is a pc there and I could hardwire an extender in this room it would be perfect. The pc is currently wireless. The room on the other side of the home would be well within range then.

So the modem room is directly overhead the room you want to get to for this second application?

Piece of cake man.  Well, assuming you don't have 2" x 4" fire blocks every 36 inches to have to deal with..... Those are US measurements you wacky Brits... :D

You got a tape measure?

So the modem room is directly overhead the room you want to get to for this second application?

Piece of cake man. Well, assuming you don't have 2" x 4" fire blocks every 36 inches to have to deal with..... Those are US measurements you wacky Brits... :D

You got a tape measure?

Yeah I got one. Actually at work right now though.

Yeah, no worries, I just want to give you a couple of things to look into when you get a chance.

In a traditional multi story dwelling (house, apartment, whatever) all the wires between the upper and lower floors pretty much run in a straight line.  It makes sense if you think about the cost of wire on the builder's side, they don't want to be leaving valuable copper strung all over the house when it's money out of pocket before the sale.

In both rooms you should be able to measure out an existing electrical outlet that is within just a couple of inches of each other (presuming the muppets framed the electrical boxes on the same studs upper and lower), but it should be inside the same 2" x 4" column.

See if you can confirm that to be the case.  If so, we can pull the electrical covers and do a light test.  Shine a bright light on one end and look for it with a dental mirror or other reflective device on the other floor.

If you can see the light between the two, then it's just a matter of a piece of long string or twine, a weight like a nut or very small LED flashlight and some patience.

I can walk you through the whole thing, but let's see what you have for construction first.

I recently bought my first Powerline kit and it's connected to my PC, it gives me the most stable net and Down/Up I've ever had and hopefully (touch wood) it continues to do a great job.

Direct Ethernet is more a luxury than people know, esp in British houses. My advice is simple find a Powerline you like the sound of and buy and try it, before you start any DIY. Not sure if America has what we do but a lot of places in UK offer 30 day money back.

Found the pic of the ones I use, they have a through put socket so you can still use the wall outlet for power as well. Made by TP link

post-788-0-44085700-1456487470_thumb.jpg

I get hardly any jitter exceptional across the readings from R1 and a steady 11 ms of ping.

Ok to all of you how do you get help here. I live in the USA nad just recently bought the netduma router and I'm having trouble connecting it to my Comcast all in in one gateway. So far this has been so frustrating and ridiculous as far as support from netduma employees, so if anyone here know anything or anyone who can help resolve this issue please let me know thank you.

Ok to all of you how do you get help here. I live in the USA nad just recently bought the netduma router and I'm having trouble connecting it to my Comcast all in in one gateway. So far this has been so frustrating and ridiculous as far as support from netduma employees, so if anyone here know anything or anyone who can help resolve this issue please let me know thank you.

Please make a post in the support section. Thanks.

Archived