Updated to 1.03.6g, still SLOW speeds

ISP: Time Warner (200/20)

Modem: Motorola SB 6141

PS4

Recently upgraded to an ISP (TimeWarner) 200/20 speed (bought a new provider after i felt the slow speeds of 24/5 of AT&T were affecting my netduma), but I continue to have slow speeds on my PS4

When I connect my laptop to my modem via an ethernet cable, I am getting speeds of 100+ on DL and 18 Upload, 15 ping

When plug directly into my netduma, my ping goes to 58, and DL and Upload are around 10

I have gotten my PS4 to a DL of 30 (low of 6) and Upload to 5.1 (low of 720kbps) while wired to the router

I have gone through the optimizing speed for over 120mbps many times, and followed the trouble shooting Q&A "why are my speeds lower?" with no effect.

- I am running version 1.03.6g on the netduma

- IPv6 disabled under LAN / WAN / Settings-MISC.

- 'Enable deep packet processing' = UNCHECKED

- 'Reactive' algorithm selected  

- I have set my bandwidth under Device Manager

- I Reset/Updated device prioritization and left it default

- Download/Upload sliders under congestion control are both at 100%

- Unplugged ISP HUB + Netduma, nothing changed

Randomly running my tablet on a speed test (wifi) yields 23ping, 64.31 DL, and 11.96upload

Please help, I previously went through all these issues with a different ISP and similar results (slow PS4 speeds were occurring)

Unless other solutions are offered, I will try replacing the netduma router with an alternate and see if slow speeds persists. 

Honestly the issue is probably the fact that you are using wifi to test. Try connecting to a computer via Ethernet and then do your tests.

Also I used to think for the longest time that my PS4 was showing the real number, but alas it doesn't matter how fast your internet connection is, you will likely never see tests on the ps4 above 35mbps. This is a PS4 issue.

Test with a computer hard wired to the router.

Crossy, thank you for responding.  I appreciate the help as I made alot of adjustments to make the Netduma a focal point of my online gaming and really want to get the max out of it.

Have you got Turbo Mode enabled under Miscellaneous?

Yes, Turbo Mode is clicked

Honestly the issue is probably the fact that you are using wifi to test. Try connecting to a computer via Ethernet and then do your tests.

Also I used to think for the longest time that my PS4 was showing the real number, but alas it doesn't matter how fast your internet connection is, you will likely never see tests on the ps4 above 35mbps. This is a PS4 issue.

Test with a computer hard wired to the router.

It is hard wired, it was the first time; if you read my post "When plug directly into my netduma, my ping goes to 58, and DL and Upload are around 10"

Sounds like it might be the modem. The modem has a chipset that lowers download speed when using the duma

Are you sure about this? In my scouring the forums, I read a memeber updated to the SB6141, the one I have, and it solved all of his problems.  (I also just got off the phone with the modem distributor customer service who state the issue is with my router, for what its worth)

Just to be sure, again, I followed all the prompts and suggestions, rebooted my router.

Wired to my modem I got a DL of 121.8mb/s, upload of 11.47

Wired to the duma (all other devices in the house turned off) = DL 64.46, Upload 11.57

Additional 2 of 3 speed tests via the Duma netted an 80.55DL and 11.84 UL; if these speeds persist, I'd be satisfied as I expect some reduction, but please let me know if there is anything else I can try.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Input 200/200 into bandwidth settings, allow it to auto setup.

Put in your actual speeds but don't let it auto setup.

Do a wired speed test from a PC.

Thanks for responding.  So I did several tests with this and overall found my results, inconclusive.  Got in the 90s DL with both 200/20 auto and 75/12 no auto setup.  All were connecting to a router in NY on testmyspeed.com

I understand there will be fluctuations, but what do you recommend?

200/20 Auto: 91.57DL, 11.54Up

100/15 No auto: 80.53 / 11.52

200/20 Auto: 71.93 / 11.7, tried again 91.15 / 12.19

95 /13 No auto: 70.39 / 11.63

200/20 A: 69.76 / 11.57

100/15: 69.43 / 11.53

200/20 A: 69.21 / 11.67

70 / 12 : 91.38 / 11,52, repeat 72.98 / 11.71

200/20 A: 67.29 / 11.53, repeat 73.37 / 11.89

75 / 12 : 93.76 / 11.54

ISP: Time Warner (200/20)

Modem: Motorola SB 6141

PS4

Recently upgraded to an ISP (TimeWarner) 200/20 speed (bought a new provider after i felt the slow speeds of 24/5 of AT&T were affecting my netduma), but I continue to have slow speeds on my PS4

When I connect my laptop to my modem via an ethernet cable, I am getting speeds of 100+ on DL and 18 Upload, 15 ping

When plug directly into my netduma, my ping goes to 58, and DL and Upload are around 10

I have gotten my PS4 to a DL of 30 (low of 6) and Upload to 5.1 (low of 720kbps) while wired to the router

I have gone through the optimizing speed for over 120mbps many times, and followed the trouble shooting Q&A "why are my speeds lower?" with no effect.

- I am running version 1.03.6g on the netduma

- IPv6 disabled under LAN / WAN / Settings-MISC.

- 'Enable deep packet processing' = UNCHECKED

- 'Reactive' algorithm selected  

- I have set my bandwidth under Device Manager

- I Reset/Updated device prioritization and left it default

- Download/Upload sliders under congestion control are both at 100%

- Unplugged ISP HUB + Netduma, nothing changed

Randomly running my tablet on a speed test (wifi) yields 23ping, 64.31 DL, and 11.96upload

Please help, I previously went through all these issues with a different ISP and similar results (slow PS4 speeds were occurring)

Unless other solutions are offered, I will try replacing the netduma router with an alternate and see if slow speeds persists. 

You should try a Factory Reset then set up the Netduma again following Iain's guide. 

Don't setup the Host filtering services. Just wire up a pc or laptop and do the speed tests. 

If you still aren't getting your paid for speeds then connect your pc or laptop directly to your modem and see what speeds you get. 

You may have an issue other than the Netduma. 

• Administrators

Input 200/200 into bandwidth settings, allow it to auto setup.

Put in your actual speeds but don't let it auto setup.

Do a wired speed test from a PC.

Do the following:

1. Factory reset. This is to undo any congestion control settings (remember reducing your speed is beneficial for gaming)
  2. Do as Fraser said above in the quote
  3. Perform a test using a cat6 cable with a PC or laptop (not console/phone or tablet)

DO NOT TOUCH CONGESTION CONTROL OR VPN SETTINGS. LEAVE THEM RESET AFTER THE FACTORY REBOOT

You will get your full speeds unless:

1. You are using PPPoE ( in which case use the intermediate router your ISP gave you that is designed to do PPPoE in hardware.

If you are still getting speeds lower using a cat6 cable (not wireless) then it must be an upstream issue (most likely ISP).

Archived