Peer Pings – how can I see my own ping?

SmallCaps

The trick with your own ping is that your ping is different to each other person in the game. For Destiny and other peer to peer games the ping you get from one player will be your ping to them. Ping is a round trip time measurement, as in, it measures how long it takes to get to them and back.  For games with servers the auto-ping host will be what you want to look at.

Thank you all for answering.  :)

Here are some more n00bish questions:

Do the bars in the Peer Pings bar graph show my ping "against" the other separate players? None of the bars are representing me? And why are there sometimes just two or three bars when I am playing 6v6?

Do the Ping Graph (the line graph) show my average ping against the others?

Cheers!

• Administrators

It shows your ping to those players and the average ping to all of those players will be generally the type of connection you can expect. If all the bars aren't present it is likely some players are connecting through a dedicated server within your radius. 

The normal graph shows your ping to the server

• 3 months later...

With this - I will be playing a game vs 11 other people but only see 6 or so peer ping bars....

Why is this so?

Most likely they are outside your filter range so I don't think it shows them.

on the same topic, for Destiny and other peer to peer games, i can see the bars for the player in the lobby but there is no way to clearly identify this player with 200-300ms and huge jitter to Deny him permanently for next games.

​how are we supposed to Deny bad connection permanently ?

I would be nice to just being able to click on the bar and have a deny option

on the same topic, for Destiny and other peer to peer games, i can see the bars for the player in the lobby but there is no way to clearly identify this player with 200-300ms and huge jitter to Deny him permanently for next games.

I think you may have a slight misunderstanding.  With the Geo Filter and host rating, you can't stop other players with crappy internet JOINING a game, you can only stop them from HOSTING a P2P game with the host rating below the map.  Once they are rated poorly for your Duma, if they are in your lobby and the matchmaking tries to assign host to them, the Duma will prevent it and force another host be selected.

I suppose you could select the other circles, in game, and ping them to try and determine which player it is that has the shitty connection.  But you would be AFK in the game and the ping rating would more than likely not be accurate.

I can't speak to Destiny, never played a lick of it.  But in other P2P games like older CoD's, it doesn't take long at all to build a very nice library of local, good ping hosts.  Once you have a nice library of available hosts (assuming you are playing at roughly the same time of day each time) you will gradually see the overall game conditions improve with only random annoyances.  

Most recently I have been mapping Black Ops 1 hosts since the backwards comp became available.  At the start, each host was crap shoot.  After about a week of playing, I now have a lot of known hosts pop up and I am seeing better overall games.  

It won't happen overnight, you have to put in the work.  And you have to be diligent about rating the good hosts, as well as the bad ones. ;)  

• Administrators

No way to do that currently unless you manually ping each player. Hope to have this implemented for the next upgrade.

Archived