Sky Fibre & MER

belly120

hi all anyone managed to get the netduma working with sky fibre, looking to connect my r1 to my billion 8800nl set to bridge mode but i'm not sure the r1 will work with the MER authentication sky fibre requires, anyone managed it yet??

OK so sky fibre uses MER which is essentially your username and password all in one text box in a router, normally called "Option 61"  so i don't know if i can set the R1 one up to operate with MER via a modem?  does the R1 have an option 61 box in the WAN setup?

essentially both me and my partner are using ps4's in the same house playing bf4 and bo3 together, BF4 is constantly suffering from packet loss and bo3 can be unreliable at best.

we run both ps4's as having 32 & 31% priority in the distribution graph way over everything else.  UPNP is active although often fails to assign ports correctly for my girlfriends machine, no port forwarding rules exist to create conflicts etc it simply doesn't work for BF4.  BO3 will assign her a UPnP table request but bf4 and other stuff simply doesn't bother, mega odd.

we both are wired to the R1 which is hardwired to the billion 8800nl

so i figured it could be an issue of the dual router setup we have, the 8800nl will run in bridge mode so act as a modem only which may resolve any hidden conflicts that may be occurring.

We have ipv6 enabled on both routers, does this often cause packet loss issues? 

OK so sky fibre uses MER which is essentially your username and password all in one text box in a router, normally called "Option 61"  so i don't know if i can set the R1 one up to operate with MER via a modem?  does the R1 have an option 61 box in the WAN setup?

It dont work, i have tried and the modem gets the connection but cant get Duma to connect. 

no the billion 8800nl is capable of being a vdsl modem on its own so i don't need a bt modem.  that's why i'm trying to figure out to get the r1 acting as my only router and the billion to just act as the modem.

if i can't get that to work i may drop the r1 as its not really made any noticeable difference to anything really. i can setup my 8800nl to do 1 to 1 nat which will enable me to give both the ps4's their own public IP's which will also resolve the port conflict issues we get having the 2 consoles on 1 router with only 1 public IP

well that's not true as Billion make routers that they expressly advertise as being compatible with Sky Fibre and have MER out of the box.  I use a Billion 8800nl as my router modem with the R1 connected to it, i just find that the setup with my duma is a touch clunky especially with the new firmware. when i updated to .6 from .5 i had no end of issues getting my ps4's to work with out issues. so if i could run my billion in bridge mode and use my duma to dial in i'd be laughing.

like i said they have no issues fitting MER to this its just a case of they haven't bothered yet, SKY can't stop them otherwise billion wouldn't be allowed  

(to clarify i don't use the sky hub or a bt modem at all in my setup)

• Administrators

Hi,

Fraser told me to take a look at this thread. My response is pretty similar to another thread about PPPoE.

We have a huge list of tasks for the next update. Since you can just use the existing the router it seems like the problem as a general fix for the time being. So I'll have to de-prioritise this task (I'm not even sure if it's possible for MER).  After the next upgrade if you remind Fraser I can take a look, but at the moment I have to focus on that. I'm sure you'll all be happy with the features coming soon.

Cheers

Thats the same modem that I have,was it hard work flashing that firmware onto it?what's the advantages of that firmware?

Look at the heaps of settings to tinker with :) http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php?title=Huawei_HG612also it is supposed to hold better sync rates. Heres how to unlock http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612hacking.htm

Archived