Splatoon Wii U Support? Cannot filter out Japan

Hello! This is my first post on the forum, so sorry if this is in a wrong section. I have had the Netduma Router since Christmas. It is incredibly useful, but trying to use certain features for Splatoon has given me some trouble.

I'm from the US, and there's a 200ms server East of my country (hosts in that area generally have much lower ping, so it's not my connection). Checking its tracerroute looks like it leads to a server in Japan. At first I thought the matchmaking was forcing me to play with the Japanese, but its location could simply be inaccurate.

When I attempt to geo-filter according to my own region, it will refuse to find a lobby. Both US & Japanese servers need to be inside the filter in order to find players. This could possibly be due to a low player-count, but Splatoon is more than capable of finding lag-free games at any time during Splatfests (a 24-hour region-locked event). I've tried changing the home location as well as many other settings to no avail.

EDIT: In addition, I've also tried doing a tempban on the JP & US servers after upgrading to 1.03.6. Same result as if I filtered one server.

I would be absolutely grateful if your team can support Splatoon. Nothing is more frustrating than playing with 200ms, un-shootable players at the other side of the globe. Here's some info:

My location: Central US

Japan Server ID: 8436d09bd3233b40

Ping: 180-200+

US Server ID: dd34dda8d17c4045

Ping: 180-200+

More servers are likely out there if you want me to list them.

We had a similar issue when the software first hit the market where an Xbox server in the UK had to be inside the Geo Filter to be able to sign into XBLive.  I think it was just misplaced in the cloud and needed to be updated.  Given that, I am wondering if you have the same type of thing happening.

Can you open up the Geo Filter to include both the US and Japan and get into the "main menu/matchmaking" or whatever they have, then try to shrink the Geo Filter down to just your area and find a game?

Another thought is to make sure that you have both cloud settings ticked under Misc.  This will get you the most up to date cloud updates, so as more information becomes available around support for the game, it will update those as well.  Can you check if you have 'Bleeding Edge' and the other one (who's name escapes me at the moment) are ticked?

Please support this game in the new firmware, I have the same problem here in Spain, Splatoon is a very popular game in Japan, but playing with Japanese people is very painful and frustrating with the tipical 200-300ms ping lag

Hope you can solve this soon, thanks for support and have I nice day

We had a similar issue when the software first hit the market where an Xbox server in the UK had to be inside the Geo Filter to be able to sign into XBLive.  I think it was just misplaced in the cloud and needed to be updated.  Given that, I am wondering if you have the same type of thing happening.

Can you open up the Geo Filter to include both the US and Japan and get into the "main menu/matchmaking" or whatever they have, then try to shrink the Geo Filter down to just your area and find a game?

Another thought is to make sure that you have both cloud settings ticked under Misc.  This will get you the most up to date cloud updates, so as more information becomes available around support for the game, it will update those as well.  Can you check if you have 'Bleeding Edge' and the other one (who's name escapes me at the moment) are ticked?

Splatoon finds a game almost instantly, so I can't shrink down the geo-filter before the matchmaking grabs players from Japan. When I do shrink the geo-filter out of the JP server (whether it be during, before or after a match), the Japanese will stay in regardless what size filter I have, and will even find more players outside of my filter. Worse case scenario, I'll get booted/disconnected.

As for the cloud settings, I've already checked bleeding edge and updated (if you're referring to Auto Cloud, that's checked as well).

Coupled with what I learned from  Toby above it appears this needs to be optimized for the game.  I think Fraser is doing some testing on games for optimization currently, but I'll see if I can find the thread for it and post a link.

Thanks, and yes; if just the US & JP servers are inside the geo-filter, Europe for example will pop up as a yellow triangle. Splatoon has no problem finding a match in that scenario.

I'm also inclined to believe that there are multiple servers stacked on top of each other as I've gotten different IDs in the same area:

ID: 3834c691d1d74045

Ping: 160-180ms

• Administrators

Thanks, and yes; if just the US & JP servers are inside the geo-filter, Europe for example will pop up as a yellow triangle. Splatoon has no problem finding a match in that scenario.

I'm also inclined to believe that there are multiple servers stacked on top of each other as I've gotten different IDs in the same area:

ID: 3834c691d1d74045
Ping: 160-180ms

Okay thats a good sign then, if you allow them and then filter that means they need to be whitelisted. 

Thanks for the ID.

Yes servers are often located in a cluster. 

I'm having the same issue if not worse. I'm located in the Middle East and the best option for me is to play with EU players. But I noticed that the game chooses a random server (very often in Japan) just for the matchmaking then switches to p2p to start the game (one random player is host). So, the issue is whitelisting all the matchmaking servers in Japan and the US since they are outside my geo-filter. I've whitelisted like 50 of them but new servers keep coming up non-stop. Please support this game :)

I'm having the same issue if not worse. I'm located in the Middle East and the best option for me is to play with EU players. But I noticed that the game chooses a random server (very often in Japan) just for the matchmaking then switches to p2p to start the game (one random player is host). So, the issue is whitelisting all the matchmaking servers in Japan and the US since they are outside my geo-filter. I've whitelisted like 50 of them but new servers keep coming up non-stop. Please support this game :)

Yes, I forgot to mention that Splatoon runs on a p2p system and only uses servers for matchmaking (not dedis). However I never knew that it can pick random servers, which is interesting. Let's hope the team can optimize Splatoon :)

• 2 weeks later...

Any word about the cloud update? Splatfest is tonight (regions will be locked), so I might be able to gather some more data.

EDIT: Playing during a Japanese Splatfest right now, and I'm able to easily find matches despite filtering out the JP server; the red circle is small. Matches are around 50ms which is much better than 200ms. Too bad this only lasts for 24 hours.

I don't think it's a population issue. When a Splatfest occurs in either the US or Japan, I see a lot more hosts in my region compared to when the matchmaking searches worldwide. It just takes a little longer to find a game because Splatoon gets region-locked during this time. Perhaps this is due to the developer's fear that the player-base would be low at launch.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

my lad is often in a lobby with 7 japanese players in ranked play and it is very easy for me to see that he is at a distinct disadvantage.

try explaining latency to an 8 yr old!

i would love to see him break through into S-class but against lobbies of very good asian players AND faced with pings in the region of 300ms it's pretty much hopeless.

it would be awesome to see this game supported.

Archived