Netduma R1 constantly needs rebooting

Hi,

I've had a R1 for a few months now and it's been great, whenever I play games and my girlfriend is on netflix i get no lag - and we only get 4.2mb down.

However over the past week or so, our connection cuts out (I'm connected to the R1 via ethernet). We have the R1 connected to a Sky Hub, and that is still connected to broadband with the little 'smiley face' indicator.

To fix it I go to the R1 Control Panel > Settings > Misc > Reboot router. I hear a single beep from the R1 and a couple of seconds later the internet is working again. It seems to be happening more and more often, yesterday it happened about 10+ times throughout the day and this evening it's happened twice already.

I even upgraded the firmware to the latest version hoping that would fix it, but no it's still happening.

Never-the-less it's extremely frustrating having to reboot the R1 so often, I'm not sure what could be causing it.

The version at the bottom says 

R1 debug version 1.03.5m running on rb-951g-2hnd

Any ideas?

Hi,

I've had a R1 for a few months now and it's been great, whenever I play games and my girlfriend is on netflix i get no lag - and we only get 4.2mb down.

However over the past week or so, our connection cuts out (I'm connected to the R1 via ethernet). We have the R1 connected to a Sky Hub, and that is still connected to broadband with the little 'smiley face' indicator.

To fix it I go to the R1 Control Panel > Settings > Misc > Reboot router. I hear a single beep from the R1 and a couple of seconds later the internet is working again. It seems to be happening more and more often, yesterday it happened about 10+ times throughout the day and this evening it's happened twice already.

I even upgraded the firmware to the latest version hoping that would fix it, but no it's still happening.

Never-the-less it's extremely frustrating having to reboot the R1 so often, I'm not sure what could be causing it.

The version at the bottom says 

R1 debug version 1.03.5m running on rb-951g-2hnd

Any ideas?

If the ISP modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems: Link>http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/fixing_double_nat.htmand http://computer.howstuffworks.com/nat.htm If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ. Disable any ISP modem WiFi and filters like firewalls and such. 

Prefered connection method with a ISP stand alone modem:
ISP modem>R1router<>connected devices.

Connection method with a ISP modem with built in router that can be bridged:
ISP modem(bridged)>R1 router<>connected devices.

Connection method with a ISP modem with built in router that can't be bridged:
ISP modem(DMZ)>R1s WAN ip address placed in ISP modems DMZ<>connected devices to WRT router.

I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For cable Internet, RG-6 coaxial cable is needed, not RG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. Ensure modem is working well too. Bad modems are out there as well. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

Thanks for the fast replies guys.

Yeah like I said, it's been working fine for a few months. Just this past week or so needing a reboot.

I have my Sky Hub Setup to have the R1 as it's DMZ (I followed some guide) see here:

9de45ea8300adf9bae6ffd10e7c80b12.png

What is the IP address the R1 gets from the ISP HUB? It should be different that 192.168.88.1?

What the R1 gets from the ISP HUB on it's WAN port should be the address that goes into the HUBs DMZ

Ahh I think I understand...

The ISP HUB only has 1 attached device

1 192.168.0.14 UNKNOWN

So I need to put that as the DMZ IP instead? Strange that having DMZ of 192.168.88.1 has been working since I got it.

I'll change the DMZ IP now and see it that helps.

Again thanks for your quick response, I appreciate it

Ahh I think I understand...

The ISP HUB only has 1 attached device

1 192.168.0.14 UNKNOWN

So I need to put that as the DMZ IP instead? Strange that having DMZ of 192.168.88.1 has been working since I got it.

I'll change the DMZ IP now and see it that helps.

Again thanks for your quick response, I appreciate it

That would probably be it. 

Yes the WAN port gets a different address from the ISP HUB. The 192.168.88.1 is the address on the R1s LAN port and DHCP pool as well and can't be on the WAN side. 

The change should fix your issue. Let us know how it does.  ;)

Unfortunately that hasn't fixed it. I've just had to Reboot the R1 because the internet cut out (Sky Hub was still connected to broadband). Two seconds after the beep (when the R1 restarts) the internet works again. 

This problem has only just started happening over the past week or so when I added HMA login details to the VPN page. Could it be related to that?

And you do have the R1 in the ISP Modems DMZ right? If so, then I'd remove the VPN configuration that you recently set up and see if there is any change in behavior.

If it still keeps happening, then someone in support will need to have a look and review this with you.

Yea the R1 is in the ISP modem's DMZ.

I just went to the VPN section and unticked 'Enable' and it gave me a notification 'Disconnected', however every time I go back to the VPN section under 'fast setup' the 'Enable' is ticked (i think this is just a visual error though as the VPN isnt enabled any more.

I'll let you know how it goes

There has been others reporting some VPN problems.

Besure to clear out the browser cache. I have noticed that even using the sliders, that I get odd prior settings saved after I've moved the sliders. If I clear out the browser cache and do a full refresh on the browser, it seems to help this.

Yea the R1 is in the ISP modem's DMZ.

I just went to the VPN section and unticked 'Enable' and it gave me a notification 'Disconnected', however every time I go back to the VPN section under 'fast setup' the 'Enable' is ticked (i think this is just a visual error though as the VPN isnt enabled any more.

I'll let you know how it goes

There has been others reporting some VPN problems.

Besure to clear out the browser cache. I have noticed that even using the sliders, that I get odd prior settings saved after I've moved the sliders. If I clear out the browser cache and do a full refresh on the browser, it seems to help this.

Yea the VPN is definitely disabled, I tested it on a couple of devices.

The R1 has just cut out again and needed a reboot. That's 3 times in the past hour or so

• Administrators

Could you try moving your iPhone away further just to rule it out. 

Also use a wifi analyser to find the best channel for the router and change it to that just incase there are a lot of wireless networks in the area that could cause issues.

Could you try moving your iPhone away further just to rule it out. 

Also use a wifi analyser to find the best channel for the router and change it to that just incase there are a lot of wireless networks in the area that could cause issues.

Thanks for the reply Fraser,

I took your advice and moved my iPhone further away from the R1 (it now rests about 5 meters away).

I don't have WIFI enabled on my desktop PC (i'm connected via ethernet to the R1). So I brought my Macbook Pro up here and used an application called 'Wifi Explorer'. These are the results, I'm not sure what to make of them?

e82708db658dd4aa21212693bd61221e.png

17d8afa4c02158c2e70043347e32a72c.png

I'm still having to restart the R1 several times a day (4 times today already). Do you think a Factory Reset might help?

Your in a wifi congested area. :unsure:

Try changing to channel 13. Not sure if these routers support channel 14.

I bet if you disabled the Wifi on the R1 and just ran wired connections, the R1 wouldn't need to be rebooted.

You need to migrate to 5Ghz if you can.

If you factory reset you will lose all your settings which is fine maybe take a picture of your page's before you do it.

In the next firmware you can export your settings which is great for factory resets.

Factory from the misc settings page not the pin hole if you decide too.

I would use try channel 2 (that would span 2345) for less overlaps but you are in a congested WiFi Area for sure.

Archived