Using Netduma With Additional Wireless Access Point

Hi everyone,

I decided to buy a Netduma R1 as soon as the 'Money Fairy' graces me with her presence (which is taking longer than I'd hoped), but in the meantime, I decided to set up a second router to use as a WiFi access point to improve the WiFi coverage in the house.  Here's a link to the guide I used to achieve this (after numerous attempts), in case anyone is unsure what I'm talking about.

http://www.labnol.org/software/add-router-to-wireless-network/19716/

Then I started wondering how the Netduma R1 would fit into this set up and now I have a couple of questions.

1. Does anyone know if there will be any complications setting up the Netduma R1 with my network as it is now?

2. Will the WiFi access point still work if it remains plugged into the ISP's router?

I'd really appreciate any assistance anyone can offer.  Thanks in advance...

Hey :)

The best set-up would be Modem >> Netduma >> Wifi Access Point. Then all the devices will be going through the Netduma.

Hi Crossy.  Thanks for the response.  By setting it up like this, I'm guessing I'd have to change the settings on the WiFi AP to match the Netduma R1 settings.  Does that sound right?

I disabled the wireless on the R1 and set up a wired N and AC class wireless AP. Works well. 

Hi Bimmer.  Thanks for replying.  So to clarify, you disabled the WiFi on the Netduma R1 and set up your WiFi AP's through the Netduma R1 with cables?  If this is right, are the wireless devices affected when using the features of the Netduma R1?  My family use their iPhones/iPads with the WiFi all the damn time, so I want to throttle their bandwidth a little to help my connection when I'm playing online (because I'm a selfish scumbag).

I'm glad to hear you can use a WiFi access point with the Netduma R1 though...

Yeah I have my set up as modem > R1 > netgear in AP mode with 2.4 turned off on netgear so as not to interfere with the 2.4 on the duma as the duma wireless is pretty strong.

Best of both worlds you get all the features of the duma and by throwing the netgear in AP mode the rest of the house get 5g speeds.

And one of the best feature of the duma is CC,so you can game and the rest of the family can do their thing and nobody effects the others.no need to throttle their bandwidth just use the sliders as they are intended and it eliminates any issues.

Hi Crossy.  Thanks for the response.  By setting it up like this, I'm guessing I'd have to change the settings on the WiFi AP to match the Netduma R1 settings.  Does that sound right?

Hi Bimmer.  Thanks for replying.  So to clarify, you disabled the WiFi on the Netduma R1 and set up your WiFi AP's through the Netduma R1 with cables?  If this is right, are the wireless devices affected when using the features of the Netduma R1?  My family use their iPhones/iPads with the WiFi all the damn time, so I want to throttle their bandwidth a little to help my connection when I'm playing online (because I'm a selfish scumbag).

I'm glad to hear you can use a WiFi access point with the Netduma R1 though...

Yes my AP is wired to the back of the R1. Best configuration for this set up. If you have users doing things while your gaming, then you'll need to adjust the Congestion controls sliders to allow the R1 to help with this while you game. Information suggests starting at 70/70 to see how things goes. You'll need to play around there some too what works best for you and your other internet users. 

How many other devices are online at one time while your gaming? 

What is your ISP speed UP and down that you pay for?

What is your ISP Mfr model and brand? 

I have 100/3 here and when I gaming no body else is online so I have my sliders at 92 and 100%. With users that game with having other devices online streaming stuff, sliders will need to be adjusted accordingly. 

What I always wanted to know is how those of you who run it such that your zumpteen devices all pass through the Duma... how do you get the 'precision' (for lack of a better word) in terms of bandwidth allocation? I used to have my setup like that (modem->Duma->Asus router in AP mode), but with 20-30+ devices always showing, everything in the manager section was like around 2-5% lols... not much wiggle room to toggle bandwidth, no?

-Q

I test for buffer bloat first me my needs. Since theres only me online while gaming, I don't have any problems with bandwidth controls. I do have numerous devices connected however there not all doing something while gaming. If anything I have a Laptop connect and phone by my side while gaming. During the day I'm at work, other half gets to use bandwidth for VPN, 2 PCs, two phones and an Ipad. Printers, cameras and NESTs are set up for static IP addresses as they don't need any or much Internet controls;. I presume with a house hold with zumpteen devices all doing something at the same time, I presume congestion controls will be tricky to adjust and figure out. 

I just ran several dslreports tests with various congestions slider adjustments for my system here. Saw various grades from A+ to all Cs I had a A+ for both BB and Quality and C for Speed with 96 DOWN and 100 UP. After coming back to it, the grades changed to C B C. So Im using now 99 percent for both UP and Down which gave me a A+ B and C. 

I don't take dspreports.com results and grades fully to heart and always with a grain of salt. It's a start though I guess. 

Yeah I have my set up as modem > R1 > netgear in AP mode with 2.4 turned off on netgear so as not to interfere with the 2.4 on the duma as the duma wireless is pretty strong.

Best of both worlds you get all the features of the duma and by throwing the netgear in AP mode the rest of the house get 5g speeds.

And one of the best feature of the duma is CC,so you can game and the rest of the family can do their thing and nobody effects the others.no need to throttle their bandwidth just use the sliders as they are intended and it eliminates any issues.

Hi Fuzzy Clam.  I appreciate your input.  I have Netgear cable modem routers for my network at home and I've set them up to run through channel 13, which gave me the fastest speeds after testing all the other channels.  From what I've read, this is how you reduce interference from other 2.4Ghz devices in your home.  If this is not what you're referring to, please let me know.  Thanks for the tip about CC.  I'll definitely look into it further.  Thanks.

Yes my AP is wired to the back of the R1. Best configuration for this set up. If you have users doing things while your gaming, then you'll need to adjust the Congestion controls sliders to allow the R1 to help with this while you game. Information suggests starting at 70/70 to see how things goes. You'll need to play around there some too what works best for you and your other internet users. 

How many other devices are online at one time while your gaming? 

What is your ISP speed UP and down that you pay for?

What is your ISP Mfr model and brand? 

I have 100/3 here and when I gaming no body else is online so I have my sliders at 92 and 100%. With users that game with having other devices online streaming stuff, sliders will need to be adjusted accordingly. 

My consoles are connected via ethernet cable and I can get speeds up to 80Mbps download and 2.7Mbps upload.  Up to 15 devices can be connected to the routers at any given time (including via ethernet cable).  And now that I think about it, I do most of my gaming late at night when everyone is asleep, so there aren't a lot of devices in use at that time, but the devices are always connected to the routers (they never get turned off).  I don't know how much of an impact that makes on the network (if any), but I need to use as much bandwidth as possible when I'm gaming, because I live in the most isolated city in my country (maybe even the world), Perth Western Australia.  My distance from the other players in my country, gives me a pretty big disadvantage at times.   Thanks again for your assistance.  I really appreciate it.

From my experience so far, I have to say, the Netduma Forum community are really helpful.  Thanks everyone...

Yup that's what I was referring to also if your running another router in AP mode for the 5g speeds,I disabled the 2.4 wifi on my netgear and left it enabled on the duma and that keeps them from interfering with each other

• Administrators

My consoles are connected via ethernet cable and I can get speeds up to 80Mbps download and 2.7Mbps upload.  Up to 15 devices can be connected to the routers at any given time (including via ethernet cable).  And now that I think about it, I do most of my gaming late at night when everyone is asleep, so there aren't a lot of devices in use at that time, but the devices are always connected to the routers (they never get turned off).  I don't know how much of an impact that makes on the network (if any), but I need to use as much bandwidth as possible when I'm gaming, because I live in the most isolated city in my country (maybe even the world), Perth Western Australia.  My distance from the other players in my country, gives me a pretty big disadvantage at times.   Thanks again for your assistance.  I really appreciate it.

From my experience so far, I have to say, the Netduma Forum community are really helpful.  Thanks everyone...

If you have share excess on then your console will grab what it needs from other devices that aren't using the internet so you should have plenty for gaming. 

If you have share excess on then your console will grab what it needs from other devices that aren't using the internet so you should have plenty for gaming. 

Hi Fraser.  I'll be sure to turn on share excess so I'll have as much bandwidth as possible while I'm gaming.  Thanks for the tip...

Archived