The War with BT!!!

Ian88

I've just moved from.a cable area where I had virgin 100/10 to where I've been forced to go with BT 40/10 package.. The ping is decent at 17ms download is what I'm paying for at 38MB HOWEVER since I've had it installed I've had 0.09MB upload I can not game anymore! I've rang up.tons of times telling them I'm paying for upto 10MB but all they say is "we don't guarantee upload" and will not help! I've checked the samknows website and my line can handle a minimum of 16.5MB upload.. So wtf!!? Has anybody else ever had a problem like this?

• Netduma Staff

I think you just need to insist that a tech comes out to look at it. Tell them the internet is unusable (which is is) and then they won't just be able to leave it. Someone on the BT forum had a similar issue and got the same response as you initially but eventually got it sorted.

Thanks crossy.. Apparently I'm getting a new hub sent out to see if that's works (I'm betting it won't) level 2 technicians phoned me last night and literally just got me to turn my device off then on again lmao.. I just read that whole post you linked.. Christ did he have a battle haha.. I'm betting it is just a mistake made at the exchange, but I'll have to jump through BTs hoops until I get to that stage.. Some of there "agents" are infuriatingly clueless! One of them actually said, upload isn't important it's all about download! I wanted to strangle him haha.. Any clue what LLU connections are? As on samknows website it shows sky being LLU enabled.. Maybe I should think about switching to Them? I'll be able to skip BTs fees as my connection is unusable that's correct isn't it? Man I'm exhausted from being angry about this

Oh I will Zennon cheers.. It's going to be a battle to get this sorted I can tell.. I've spent easily over a grand on my gaming equipment and hardware alike.. To be lumbered with a unusable conn! I feel like crying haha

I hope they sort that quickly as that is unusable in its condition, you need an Open Reach call out if the new router does not fix it.

Have you tried a different RJ11 cable or Ethernet cable to rule them out?

Yeah, Ive went cable OCD to try fix but nothing works.. I also connected to the test socket that didn't work.. When I use speedtest I see the upload trying it's best to flicker but it always finishes on 0.00 the guy next door is on the same package and he gets 8MB upload.. I haven't even bothered plugging my duma in yet as there's no point.. I've just payed 130 to get the master socket moved into my gaming room aswel ha

Zennon, they where gonna send a engineer for the initial activation, but because I already had a working line they said I didn't need one.. What makes no sence is, my download is full 40MB my ping is a respectable 17ms but my upload is literally non existent.. Theres gotta be something wrong somewhere.. As for the 130.. I needed to move it upstairs anyway because that's where my setup is, and obviously don't want ethernet trailing up the stairs haha.. And yeah raddy that was the first thing I was told to do by them was a hard reset... Is that' pressing and holding the button yeah? They also reset my line with no luck.. I'm praying either this new socket, or new hub does the trick.. It's taking me away from my hobby which as like the rest of you, is gaming.

I'll add this is a new house Zennon mate I've just moved , I would have stuck with virgin given the choice.. And the master socket doesn't get moved until the 20th of this month, I ordered it Asoon as I realised the socket was downstairs

Ah my confusion, yes the HH5 is an all in one modem router combo.

So did they give you a VDSL faceplate ? as you dont use ADSL filters on fibre lines you use VDSL.

It would be the MK3 now though

bt vdsl.jpg

My box doesn't look like this.. It's an old looking one, with one socket In the middle with BT logo at the top.. They also gave me adsl filters to plug in my broadband and phone.. So I haven't got the correct equipment? Could it be down to simply getting new filters? Or is the faceplate a big problem too?

So it's been 3hrs since the new socket was fitted.. Theres absolutely no difference at all! Still getting 0.22 upload.. I'm fkin sick! The engineer said all my cabling is now brand new, his line test game back ok, so he has no idea why I'm getting such low speeds.. I've got a vdsl mk3 faceplate so that's now ok.. I'll leave it the 48hrs the engineer told me to wait, if it doesn't improve I'll be ringing bt again! He said my cabinet is only 400meters away.. But Sam knows says 1.7km away.. I'm lost now

Well.. It's all sorted now.. Turned out it was a faulty hub.. My duma is getting me games as low as 12ms ping so I'm very happy.. Last question before this post is done.. What is the optimal settings for wan and lan and stuff? Cheers guys

Archived