Need suggestions for PC Antivirus/Firewall

PharmDawgg

Sorry guys been using Apple products so long I don't know what good software is out there for antivirus/firewall protection.  Would prefer a free one but if it is worth the money I'm willing to buy one.  Thanks ahead for any suggestions.  

I would stick with windows own offerings.  The windows firewall does a good job of blocking incoming connection out of the box, if you need outgoing firewall rules you can also add them manually or use a utility called windows 7 (or 10) firewall control which adds outgoing blocking via an easier to use UI.

Same goes for AV, if on windows 7 you could go with security essentials, if win 8 and above then security essentials is built into the OS (rebranded to windows defender but the same software)

Both do a good job and are gentle on system resources.

For some added security you can also configure UAC to require a password (Mac style) instead of just an "allow" button via group policy settings

I have to disagree windows firewall and MSE/defender are very poor and are a baseline product all other vendors come above them in tests even the likes of Mcaffe and Norton thats saying something.

I watch AV and Anti malware sites and video's of real world testing 25 malware sites , 500 malware samples etc being thrown at AV and security software and I recommend these

Anti Virus / Security : Kaspersky , Bitdefender , Trend micro, Eset.

Anti Malware :Malwarebytes, Emsisoft , Hitman pro.

Exploit Mitigation : Hitman pro alert / Malwarebytes anti exploit.

Sandbox for browsing : Sandboxie (Places the browser in a visualized environment so with a clean of the sandbox it was like the last session never happened on your machine)

I hear you Zennon and I agree in part.  I guess this question is always going to be a hot potato, it's like asking which is the best football team, or best car, or best mobile phone...you get my drift.

The problem with 3rd party solutions IMO is the extra problems they can cause.  Trend Micro recently patched a ridiculous flaw that exposed users password database for everyone to see, Kaspersky and malwarebytes have generated false positives which have crippled systems (I personally had a 2008 R2 server get demolished by a false positive with mbam).  Eset uses tons of resources and its firewall is so obtrusive.

Overall I have had the best experience with MS own products.  As you are well aware no single AV can protect you these days, it's a combination of a decent AV, keeping your system patched and up to date and a bit of care with your online behaviour. As such MS AV is fine for me, I do agree in using MBAM as a secondary scanner to clear up all the PUP crap you might accumulate.

I think we can at least agree 3rd party firewall are no longer necessary? :)

Sorry guys.  Didn't mean to get one of those Apple vs PC conversations going.  Acutually the security/antivirus is for my son's laptop who is 12 and sometimes he clicks on things he probably should not.  So just trying to keep my IT services to a minimum with him. Currently Mcafee is still good for now.  There is a little more time to go on the subscription but I was trying to look toward the future and what would be the best bet.  I will give all your suggestions a look though. Thanks for the suggestions.

I use Eset security one of the lightest AVs ,hitman pro / alert Emsisoft sandboxie and mbam without an issue for years.

All excluding each other's scanners so I will have to differ ;)

And I say you need a 3rd party firewall like Eset as I do to block Microsoft's spyware based operating system :)

Buck you could run sandboxie or shadow defender.

With shadow defender it virtualises the session so when you reboot it takes you back in time to before he was using the machine.

Or just sandboxie to virtualise the browser session.

It's just friendly difference of opinions ain't it :)

We were told by the boss to put Mse on customers computers so they would be back quicker for a service and boy this was true.

Unethical maybe my idea no.

Archived