Ps4 controller opinions please.

Special_Ed

I would like to know what is the best aftermarket ps4 controller (excluding the xim. Feels like It would be cheating) lol

And do aftermarket controllers last longer than the steenken stutter running ps4 controller after a few months??

Objective opinions please.

I own a Scuf & Cinch PS4 controllers.

Prefer the Scuf.

Cinch button position feels like I've got to hold the controller unnaturally, just my experience might suit others due to different hand sizes etc.

Only problem with the Scuf is that I don't think they're very robust & reliable & they only come with a 3 month warranty.

I'm just about to order my 3rd in 18 months!

Hey Ed - Funny that this thread came up as I am in a bit of a transition myself.

A couple of weeks ago I would have sworn by Battle Beaver Customs.  Way better than a Scuf (which I have owned a few) in fit, feel and customer service. My last dealing with SCUF was exactly that, my last dealing with them.  

The BBC special upgraded trigger is a GOD SEND on a burst gun like the M8/XM-2/Pharo in BO3.  The underside buttons are rock solid push buttons, not the levers like on the Scuf, so they are for one finger only.  I absolutely love the BBC triggers, they are super tight and crisp, the problem is they are fragile in my clumsy hands.  I have broken the triggers on two separate controllers and am now sending BOTH of them back to BBC for warranty repair. :-(

I purchased a controller from Japan that was recommended by one of the guys here (I think it was NET-1), called a HORI FPS.  It doesn't have any of the features of Scuf, BBC or Cinch (like trigger stops or underside buttons).  The thing is, it's the size of an XB1 controller and it features buttons in place of rocker style triggers. which I really like.  

I've decided to create my own variation on the HORI platform and Chris from Battle Beaver is going to provide some technical assistance.  I intend to do a thread on it, but I've been a little busy with some other stuff of late.

If you are looking for an answer here, which I presume you are, I would recommend the Battle Beaver, but maybe don't opt for the upgraded triggers.  The controller itself is a hell of a well built unit and the turn around time from order to knocking at the door delivery has always been faster than Scuf.

YMMV,

JD

I have a Scuf...

I've had it for for 6-7 months now and it's already broken.

All the paint around the sticks and buttons are also chipping away and the fit of the 'custom' shell is a little iffy and is not as snug as the stock PS4 controller.

The custom Scuf thumbsticks have snapped on the edges and the right paddle has stopped working completely. The left paddle has slowly started to give up too. I've managed to open it up and check inside to see if I can fix it and it looks like Scuf hire monkeys to solder their controllers. I re-soldered the connections and it seems to be working ok for now. The right paddle is still a little intermittent, so I'm thinking the cable used for connecting their board to the pad has a break in it. I need to give the controller a very vigorous shake and it seems to work again. 

When it works it's fantastic, but that is seldom.

Also, their delivery times are shocking and I'm 99.9% they don't even have a 'real' customer service. My controller was misdelivered 1st time around and it took 5 unanswered emails before I took to Twitter to complain. They magically responded ASAP when I did that. All in all it took well over 2 months (nearly 3!) to sort out.

IMO they are a terrible company and MLG have put them on a pedestal that they don't deserve to be on. If it wasn't for YouTubers being sponsored by them and having them blow their trumpet, the company would have died a longtime ago for having shoddy products. It's OK for the ones who are sponsored by them though... I'm guessing if theirs break, Scuf will send out a new one ASAP and free of charge. That of course is complete speculation but I wont be spending my own hard earned money with them ever again.

I'll be ordering a Cinch or more likely a Battle Beaver in a month or two. Even though they don't have the paddle layout, I'm hoping the quality of the build and customer service trump that of Scuf.

Lukasz uses a Battle Beaver and I believe he loves it!

P.S. Apologies for the rant. I hope in some way that I can help you save some money and buy an aftermarket controller that will last!

Link to Battle Beaver below:
http://battlebeavercustoms.com

I had a thread about this a little while ago. i was asking about Nifty Customs (http://www.niftycustoms.com/)which pop up in my twitter feed quite a lot after they did a compo with netduma before i bought mine! The designs look super cool in the pics but i can't seem to find any rock solid reviews online for them! Still just another Name to chuck in the hat if you will :)

yeah scuf sucks. wont ever order from them again. lately i have just been modding the controllers myself. that said, the PS4 controller kind of blows. i dont know what they did to the sticks but my thumbs wont stay on them. have to use a grip on the left and a freek on the right. my hands cramp up because they are too small for my hands if i play for any extended period on them.

yeah scuf sucks. wont ever order from them again. lately i have just been modding the controllers myself. that said, the PS4 controller kind of blows. i dont know what they did to the sticks but my thumbs wont stay on them. have to use a grip on the left and a freek on the right. my hands cramp up because they are too small for my hands if i play for any extended period on them.

Sounds like a daft idea, but have you tried putting Sugru onto your sticks?

It's a mouldable glue that sets with rubber qualities...

https://sugru.com/about

Sounds like a daft idea, but have you tried putting Sugru onto your sticks?

It's a mouldable glue that sets with rubber qualities...

https://sugru.com/about

Interesting.  I have a need for a product like this, so I went ahead and ordered up an (8) pack to experiment with for my controller project.

More to follow...

JD

Interesting.  I have a need for a product like this, so I went ahead and ordered up an (8) pack to experiment with for my controller project.

More to follow...

JD

Let me know how you get on with it. Sugru is an amazing product.

Let me know how you get on with it. Sugru is an amazing product.

Watched a couple of quick vids on it and it looks like something I need to have in the tool box, just in case.  Thanks for the link, I'll post up some images when I get the new controller done.

Thia is what I got:

zCustom PS4 Controller

Rear Buttons - Left Hand: Remappable

Rear Buttons - Left Hand Position: Lower (Ring Finger)

Rear Buttons - Right Hand: Remappable

Rear Buttons - Right Hand Position: Lower (Ring Finger)

Rear Buttons - Additional Left: None

Rear Buttons - Additional Left Position: Select Button Placement

Rear Buttons - Additional Right: None

Rear Buttons - Additional Right Position: Select Button Placement

Rear Buttons - Reprogrammable rear buttons: Add Remap Chip

Rumbles - Rear (Handle) Rumble Motors: Include

Thumbstick Tension - Left Stick Mechanisim: Increased

Thumbstick Tension - Right Stick Mechanism: Increased

Triggers - Trigger Stops: Smart Triggers

JD, I have to try out this smart triggers thing.

I really like them man.  They are fragile, seemingly only for me, but I do like them.  Check out, when you get it, how short the actual pull is on the trigger to engage and fire.  It's silly how small the difference is from off, to full tilt boogie...LOL

Here's the HORI FPS:  

http://imgur.com/a/9ZTbs

I really like the "triggers" on this model and the switch in the back is super cool, but I don't know how to apply it yet to my game style.  I call it a Sniper switch, because when it's on, it slows down the tracking of your sticks, like it seriously decreases the speed.  You LT to ADS like normal, then use your ring finger to touch this "always off" switch to engage it, and your adjustments are now super fine for getting headshots.  I was playing with it against bots, on grade school, and it's really slick for guns like my beloved M8 too.  I really want to try this in real game play and see if it helps me send those head-glitching fuckers down to Chiron for a boatride.  :D

Scuf uses a membrane type tact switch, which is basically a silicon bubble, that enables the spring back of a button press. I have had mine replaced once by scuf within two months and than I have replaced it 5 times in less than a year. The build quality is great, but this was a very poor choice in tact switches. I ended up buying a 12 dollar remapping board from eBay, a bag of 100 tact switches with a metal disc for the spring which should never wear out for 2.50 on Amazon and made my own Beaver Battle Custom or Cinch type controller from a stock controller. I like it much better than the Scuf.

Just throwing this into the hat because I can't say enough good about my Xbox Elite controller. What about a Cronusmax and an Elite controller? The build quality is superb and the controller is like a tank. Just an opinion. Party on. B)

Archived