Hello from soon to be owner In Australia (and a few questions)

Drinkie

Hi everybody.

I'm on the verge of buying an R1 as I'm about to move into 100/40 NBN in a week and would like to optimise my gaming.

Main questions are for people that already have the NBN. Do I need a modem provided by the ISP (Which will be TPG) between the NBN box and the R1? Or can the R1 go straight from the box wired into my consoles? I read somewhere that it has a modem built into the NBN box so I figure I don't really need another modem before the R1. I hope that makes sense.

I just wanted to check before I buy one.

But also, if I do need another modem before it, will it drag the performance of the R1 down since I believe these are usually pretty crappy?

Thanks

I don't have NBN here but I plan on it when I move.

You'll have the R1 connect to whatever your ISP give you, if TPG give you a modem/router look to see if you can disable the NAT feature, also known as putting it in 'bridge mode'.

Have a look at the whirlpool forums to see what device(s) TPG give from other users with the service from those forums.

I don't have NBN here but I plan on it when I move.

You'll have the R1 connect to whatever your ISP give you, if TPG give you a modem/router look to see if you can disable the NAT feature, also known as putting it in 'bridge mode'.

Have a look at the whirlpool forums to see what device(s) TPG give from other users with the service from those forums.

Cheers man.

I think it might be different for NBN. So that's more what the main question is.

If I do have to do it that way, will the quality of the modem/router drag the speed down?

Did you try the whirlpool forums?

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/142

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/90

Cheers man.

I think it might be different for NBN. So that's more what the main question is.

If I do have to do it that way, will the quality of the modem/router drag the speed down?

In theory it shouldn't impact speed.

The addition of another device on the network may add up too 600µs which is microseconds... A little over half a millisecond (0.6ms).

I believe that you are correct in the fact that your NBN box will come with a modem so you will not need another device other than the R1 to connect to the net.

I don't have an NBN connection personally so I'm using my previous router (Billion 7800N) in bridge mode as a modem and I am actually experiencing better speeds than I was before I got the R1. I can't say if this is because of the config or because the R1 is a superior router but the difference is definitely noticeable. 

I believe that you are correct in the fact that your NBN box will come with a modem so you will not need another device other than the R1 to connect to the net.

I don't have an NBN connection personally so I'm using my previous router (Billion 7800N) in bridge mode as a modem and I am actually experiencing better speeds than I was before I got the R1. I can't say if this is because of the config or because the R1 is a superior router but the difference is definitely noticeable.

Thanks for that info.

I'm probably going to get one for my ISP but I'll try it without that crappy modem and see what happens. It will probably be awhile until I get it anyway.

Sounds like it's pretty worth it?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hi Drinkie, 

Welcome to the forum buddy. Yes there is big difference between bandwidth and latency. For gaming you want latency and our router will help with that.

We will making network myth buster videos very soon. Check em out we will cover all the common questions about networking hopefully in a fun way.

:) 

Thanks everyone.

I've got a friend saying with the NBN there's not much point getting a good router but I'm going to anyway.

Have you got yourself the Netduma, if so do you play Call of Duty Black Ops 3?

If you answered yes to both and are enjoying the NBN with the Duma, may I ask you to ping one of the dedicated servers and post a picture of the ping graph after about 20 seconds of the server being pinged?

A big ask, would greatly appreciate it mate. :)

Archived