Genreal thoughts on this product.

sm1th1

Back in Octo​ber-November time i took the plunge into the deep water of buying  agaming router after looking on youtube at the videos and reviews.i ordered and received very quickly indeed if i remeber right it was a day or 2 max install was so easy it pritty much installed its self .

The device inrerface is easy to use and if you look on youtube you can get a good indepth expernation as with out doing that your pritty  much clueless but that not a bad thing just takes 2 minutes not a lot of time really.

Cons

so i play on a 200down and 12 up on a superhub 2ac with the netduma connected when you do a speed test it doesnt show the speed that it should infact its quit a bit away and no matter the amount of fidgeting .

Sometimes when you log in the setting change like magic even tho you have clicked enable cookies.

you still get spikes and a lil bit of lag by no means is it a smooth game play everytime , your talking like 2 in 5 games are what you expect when you buy the product.

pro

They constantly update and work out the kinks of the product.

The forum is always supportive but it does get a bit to much when you have more then one person giving you instructions on making the product better who isn't directly affiliated with netduma .

The overall game play is somewhat inproved and some what more stable it doesn't eradicate all the badness in the line and trust me my line isn't bad .

As a gaming router id say buy this if 1) you no about good/bad servers and there locations to utilize the geo filter.l 2) doesn't work miracles 3) I found that it makes my home network more stable I stream a lot and it makes that smoother.

There is a good team behind the product who do care .

overall the product is half decent but in the way I think it is marketed and sold I think its a bit misleading, I struggle with it some times as you don't no if the game is at fault or the router, would I buy this again ? yeh I gues I would but I wouldn't buy it for the same price and the original purpose I bought it for .

Back in Octo​ber-November time i took the plunge into the deep water of buying  agaming router after looking on youtube at the videos and reviews.i ordered and received very quickly indeed if i remeber right it was a day or 2 max install was so easy it pritty much installed its self .

The device inrerface is easy to use and if you look on youtube you can get a good indepth expernation as with out doing that your pritty  much clueless but that not a bad thing just takes 2 minutes not a lot of time really.

Cons

so i play on a 200down and 12 up on a superhub 2ac with the netduma connected when you do a speed test it doesnt show the speed that it should infact its quit a bit away and no matter the amount of fidgeting .

Sometimes when you log in the setting change like magic even tho you have clicked enable cookies.

you still get spikes and a lil bit of lag by no means is it a smooth game play everytime , your talking like 2 in 5 games are what you expect when you buy the product.

pro

They constantly update and work out the kinks of the product.

The forum is always supportive but it does get a bit to much when you have more then one person giving you instructions on making the product better who isn't directly affiliated with netduma .

The overall game play is somewhat inproved and some what more stable it doesn't eradicate all the badness in the line and trust me my line isn't bad .

As a gaming router id say buy this if 1) you no about good/bad servers and there locations to utilize the geo filter.l 2) doesn't work miracles 3) I found that it makes my home network more stable I stream a lot and it makes that smoother.

There is a good team behind the product who do care .

overall the product is half decent but in the way I think it is marketed and sold I think its a bit misleading, I struggle with it some times as you don't no if the game is at fault or the router, would I buy this again ? yeh I gues I would but I wouldn't buy it for the same price and the original purpose I bought it for .

still haven't found any sweet spot either bud. The quest goes on.

Absolutely no disrespect intended, but based on your review, it does not strike me as though you have a very strong understanding of how to use the router, what it is designed to do, or what is really causing the problems with your gameplay experience to begin with.

The reality is that the experience and use of the router is slightly different for everyone, based on your particular Network setup, ISP, line quality, region, as well as the particular game you are playing (quality of the netcode, matchmaking quality, P2P vs. Servers, lag compensation algorithm, etc.).  That being said, the router offers "tools" (geo-filter, anti jitter, advanced qos shaping and packet processing algorithms, etc.) to address many of these issues, some of which are fairly unique to a commercial gaming router of this kind.  Understanding what each one does allows you to tinker with the settings for the game you are playing and "optimize" the experience.  That said, if the game code is trash, Netduma isn't going to make the game good..lol.  It will just allow you to optimize the network side of things as best you can, which still means you have a comparatively better experience/advantage over those who do not have the option of utilizing those tools.  The router is by no means perfect, but I believe it is a leap over many of the other options available (particularly for COD games). And the Netduma team continue to update the firmware to address issues and feedback from the community. 

In the case, of BLOPS 2, a game with notoriously awful netcode, it was night and day for me.  I was able to go from a good player with a 3ish k/d (but knowing I was on the bad end of the lag compensation netcode and suffering from other matchmaking issues), to a 4-5 k/d 500 SPM player playing mostly solo.  I understood the issues in the game that were affecting me, and I found workarounds using the duma (traffic shaping, fixing bufferbloat, and forcing matchmaking games with lower pings).  That is not coincidence.  Many of us who have put in the time to configure the router to our needs can attest to the difference.  I can instantly feel the difference playing games (particularly the COD games) with and without the router configured (and I often switch back and forth).  So if you only "feel" a benefit 2 out of 5 games or so, I might suggest that you have not yet found your optimal settings. 

But the tool is only as effective as the craftsman.  Someone can hold a hammer backwards and proceed to banging, then look at the mangled nail and wall in front of them and say "I'm not sure about this whole hammer thing..".  It's an intentionally silly analogy, my point is simply there are a lot of people who write off the router, or call it misleading, after whatever attempts they've made to set it up if they don't see magic out of the box.  It takes a little effort to learn to use it if you want to maximize the experience.  

I say these things not to poo poo your review, it is more to encourage you to continue to try to figure out how to maximize the router's potential, so that perhaps you can recreate the successful experiences that others have expressed, many of which seem to be the reason you bought the router to begin with.  Maybe there is something to what they are saying, you just have to work a little to find YOUR sweet spot for your preferred games as Secretface put it, if it is worth it to you.  Perhaps being more specific about the game you are playing and what you're experiencing might bring some suggestions from others that might help.

Otherwise, you may never realize the full potential of these router tools to aid your gaming, and just as importantly, your review may put others off from trying as well.  The more adopters, the larger the community, and the more resources for the Netduma staff and brand to continue their excellent work.  That's good for everyone involved.

Sorry for the rant..lol.  Just sharing some thoughts and encouragement.  Plus I type fast..lol

Absolutely no disrespect intended, but based on your review, it does not strike me as though you have a very strong understanding of how to use the router, what it is designed to do, or what is really causing the problems with your gameplay experience to begin with.

The reality is that the experience and use of the router is slightly different for everyone, based on your particular Network setup, ISP, line quality, region, as well as the particular game you are playing (quality of the netcode, matchmaking quality, P2P vs. Servers, lag compensation algorithm, etc.).  That being said, the router offers "tools" (geo-filter, anti jitter, advanced qos shaping and packet processing algorithms, etc.) to address many of these issues, some of which are fairly unique to a commercial gaming router of this kind.  Understanding what each one does allows you to tinker with the settings for the game you are playing and "optimize" the experience.  That said, if the game code is trash, Netduma isn't going to make the game good..lol.  It will just allow you to optimize the network side of things as best you can, which still means you have a comparatively better experience/advantage over those who do not have the option of utilizing those tools.  The router is by no means perfect, but I believe it is a leap over many of the other options available (particularly for COD games). And the Netduma team continue to update the firmware to address issues and feedback from the community. 

In the case, of BLOPS 2, a game with notoriously awful netcode, it was night and day for me.  I was able to go from a good player with a 3ish k/d (but knowing I was on the bad end of the lag compensation netcode and suffering from other matchmaking issues), to a 4-5 k/d 500 SPM player playing mostly solo.  I understood the issues in the game that were affecting me, and I found workarounds using the duma (traffic shaping, fixing bufferbloat, and forcing matchmaking games with lower pings).  That is not coincidence.  Many of us who have put in the time to configure the router to our needs can attest to the difference.  I can instantly feel the difference playing games (particularly the COD games) with and without the router configured (and I often switch back and forth).  So if you only "feel" a benefit 2 out of 5 games or so, I might suggest that you have not yet found your optimal settings. 

But the tool is only as effective as the craftsman.  Someone can hold a hammer backwards and proceed to banging, then look at the mangled nail and wall in front of them and say "I'm not sure about this whole hammer thing..".  It's an intentionally silly analogy, my point is simply there are a lot of people who write off the router, or call it misleading, after whatever attempts they've made to set it up if they don't see magic out of the box.  It takes a little effort to learn to use it if you want to maximize the experience.  

I say these things not to poo poo your review, it is more to encourage you to continue to try to figure out how to maximize the router's potential, so that perhaps you can recreate the successful experiences that others have expressed, many of which seem to be the reason you bought the router to begin with.  Maybe there is something to what they are saying, you just have to work a little to find YOUR sweet spot for your preferred games as Secretface put it, if it is worth it to you.  Perhaps being more specific about the game you are playing and what you're experiencing might bring some suggestions from others that might help.

Otherwise, you may never realize the full potential of these router tools to aid your gaming, and just as importantly, your review may put others off from trying as well.  The more adopters, the larger the community, and the more resources for the Netduma staff and brand to continue their excellent work.  That's good for everyone involved.

Sorry for the rant..lol.  Just sharing some thoughts and encouragement.  Plus I type fast..lol

tbh it says on the netduma website how it works , ping is a measurement and what the router does is give you the ability to set the search for a lobby where ever you chose to put it , for instance I spent all day today following a guide for dsl reports trying to get all a plus's I managed after a while to do it and of I went to play bo and low and behold LAGG FEST but when I got on a dedi server it was mint so to try this out I tried destiny laggy and then I tried rainbow six and it wouldn't even connect to their servers .

the router it self is just a Qos router with a bit of geo filtering that lets me join a low ping lobbies while the software irons out jitter and lag . like I said makes a good device to manage multiple devices and eliminate buffering ;) and for set up iv been on the guide tried 70 70 tried pre emptive iv tried everything but like every one said its obviously the servers on 3 games and not the product lol but for the games where I go 40 10 whitch is once a night then yeh I'm supper glad I worked hard to get this product . lol

I have been off from work since getting this and haven't found a overall working setup. I don't think some of us realized we would have to put 100's of hrs into tweaking this thing to play a game. I know it works for some right out of the box with the recommended settings but for the rest of us we are I guess screwed. I would still invest Fraser! 

• Administrators

I think with the next upgrade having the profiles will make things a lot better for everyone. People including myself can just send you a profile that works for us, that way you can try lots and see what works best for you. Plus I'm really looking forward to peoples custom descriptions :P

I think with the next upgrade having the profiles will make things a lot better for everyone. People including myself can just send you a profile that works for us, that way you can try lots and see what works best for you. Plus I'm really looking forward to peoples custom descriptions :P

I wouldn't even have thought something like this was even possible before buying the product so to think you guys are actually implementing it is so cool. It will make all the switching between screens a thing of the past hopefully. Thumbs up from me :)

Archived