To clarify, I can see that UPnP is not necessary to be enabled on the Duma if the Duma is in the DMZ.  However, what, if any, impact would enabling UPnP (vs. not enabling) on the upstream router have?  Perhaps, for example, it still should be (?) enabled on the upstream router since everything going out/coming to the Duma still needs to pass through the upstream router... I guess I'm just asking for clarification on the phrase "you can turn it off"...  

Thx :)

• Netduma Staff

If you already have an open NAT then it won't make a difference to forward anything else. Are some of the ports ones like 80, 443 etc? If they are then those are probably on the list in case they are blocked outbound, which on most routers is not the case.

I stated my comment totally backwards, oops sorry lol. After realizing this, I went and did an experiment. You guys prolly know this already but for anyone else who runs into this post...

(Given: I'm currently net <-> modem <-> Asus router <-> Duma with a static IP and in DMZ <-> 3 game consoles and a PC; pertains to Blop3/ PSN)

1) With UPnP enabled on the Duma, whichever console logs on first gets open NAT, the other always moderate (as an aside, this is my current headache/ troubleshooting saga, trying anything short of purchasing a second Internet package, but anyways)

2) With UPnP DISabled on Duma - everything is moderate NAT

3) On the Asus, I haven't noticed any impact whether UPnP is enabled or disabled, i.e., regardless of UPnP setting on the Asus, if it's enabled on the Duma I experience case 1 above, if disabled I experience case 2 above.

(I'm not trying to hijack here but was thinking it's relevant/ so, worth mentioning :) )

On a quick but IMO relevant side note... There's another post I recal which argues that as long as a PSN test shows NAT type 2 then that's all that matters, i.e., the in-game 'moderate' console shall not be adversely impacted (at least that was my conclusion from the post).

I've found that this is either not entirely correct OR perhaps I misunderstood the dude, because I've personally noticed a substantial difference in the ability to host game-parties with friends, the quality of and ease-of-finding/connecting etc to lobbies, and so forth, if I'm using whichever console has the in-game 'moderate' NAT type.

-Q

• Administrators

Have you given each console a static IP as well? This may help. I think BO3 detects NAT weirdly as if the consoles say open in network settings then it should be fine. It makes sense though that if they detect it in an odd way you may have difficulty with games even though your NAT is essentially open according to the console itself.

Archived