What's going wrong? - Lag spikes every 10-20 seconds BO3

RolidSnake

I've had my R1 for 6 months if more now and I love it.

However, this last week all I've encountered is lag spike after lag spike, rubber banding, bad connections and sketchy hosts.

I'll go from 18ms ping straight up to 400ms anytime I enter a one on one gunfight. Any time I'm not firing my weapon, I'll take one step forwards and two steps back... literally!

Is there something wrong my end or is BO3 a very bad game?

What settings have you guys got and is it making a difference?

The game has been unplayable for me now for over a week. I'm tempted to un-install it from my PS4 it's that bad.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

QF - I know you have been active here for a bit, but I don't have that kind of memory at my age. :huh:   Have you been on-board with the testing of the "true zero for Bufferbloat" prior to entering a game yet?  What are you running for settings and what have you tried already?

playing MW2 and just kicking arse ,getting host makes the difference. i get "insta kills"

i check buffer bloat but discovered ill get " A's" for bufferbloat and  quality ,using one city as opposed to 6 or 7, its better since ill get is C's  and "D's" the other way.

i might be gaming the dsl sight but who cares.(its all i need to know)  put your duma in port forward (DMZ), upnp is unnecessary ,its kinda a secret weapon and using 80% on download and upload .

ill get 4 bars most of the time.

QF - I know you have been active here for a bit, but I don't have that kind of memory at my age. :huh:   Have you been on-board with the testing of the "true zero for Bufferbloat" prior to entering a game yet?  What are you running for settings and what have you tried already?

True zero? Peak to 7-12ms how do you get 0?

I would look to the source first which is your ISP BB line and check for any issues when this happens.

With either the duma diags or ping plotter you have to rule out congestion first.

Word up Dillinger, I'll respond with 'what is true zero for Bufferbloat?"

I've been a little dormant here on the forums post CoD AW and I've tried most settings everyone has recommended on here thus far.

The R1 has the latest firmware installed and all speed/ping tests are coming back fine.

Congestion wise, lag spikes and rubber banding happens even when my PS4 is the only thing connected to the router. My PS4 is connected via a wired connection too. I turned off the GF and I was still experiencing the same lag effects which makes me want to rule my Duma out of the suspect lists for inconsistent gameplay.

My R1 is also wired though a BT Homehub (sighs). Would it be wise to restart that too?

I've literally had perfect games all the way up until New Years Eve. I really don't know what's going on!

I would look to the source first which is your ISP BB line and check for any issues when this happens.

With either the duma diags or ping plotter you have to rule out congestion first.

Duma diags and ping plotter look OK to me Zennon. 

One thing I have noticed though, is if I party up with a friend - the lag spikes etc seem to be less frequent.

So when you see rubber banding you have checked in the same time frame your pings? if all is ok then time to check more things.

I would try a reboot of the HH first then the duma.

What dedicated server are you connecting too at the time of the issue's?

So when you see rubber banding you have checked in the same time frame your pings? if all is ok then time to check more things.

I would try a reboot of the HH first then the duma.

What dedicated server are you connecting too at the time of the issue's?

When I rubber band, I quickly glance over at my ping graph and it spikes up for those instances.

I will definitely reboot the Home Hub when I get home as that is the only thing I have not touched since these problems have started.

99.9% I'm always connecting to the UK south coast server. It's very rare for me to connect to anyone one or anything else.

Bit of a tip too for anyone who's interested in which player has been host in previous games.. If you go into Theatre Mode and wait for the stats to load up underneath the picture of the map (in the game select options) it'll tell you who was host for that game.

It's mainly a hindsight thing, but it's handy non the less.

When I say check if your pings are ok when you see the rubber banding I mean quickly run a netduma diags or ping plotter to see if your line is jittering at that moment in time if not then it is the host.

When I say check if your pings are ok when you see the rubber banding I mean quickly run a netduma diags or ping plotter to see if your line is jittering at that moment in time if not then it is the host.

My bad! Will try this out next time it happens.

Are there any screen grabs of recommended settings for the tick boxes in the misc section?

Maybe I've got something in there which needs unticking...

Would it also be wise to do a factory reset on the R1 if all else fails?

RE: True Zero Bufferbloat is just a tag I hung on it when I needed to call it something.  

Essentially for those following the buffer-bloat testing:  You want to set the sliders at such a percentage not just to get an A or A+, but you want to watch the green ping graph to make sure you aren't seeing random spikes that push the green to yellow or red.  You are trying to keep it in the very low green as the test is running.  

When you get the sliders set right, you should see only green in the gauge, with very little movement.  Personally I have found when I get an A+ for buffer-bloat, my line quality also goes up to a B, or even A which is rare for me as my speed sucks, a few times if the local population isn't home and streaming everything.  As I have the standard shared Cable TV down and upstreams, I get to share bandwidth with my neighbors, which does suck at time.

I've personally tested this on both the XB1 and the PS4 and I feel it makes a difference for BO3 over the standard of 70/70.  Your mileage can and will most likely vary - so bear that in mind and use a sample size more than 2 games.

Right...

I went ahead and reset both the R1 and the Home Hub, reset and re-synced out all my ethernet powerline adapters, re-assigned my Duma settings but moved my GF location to Germany instead of the UK to try and avoid the south coast server that has been giving me gripe.

I also checked my Bufferbloat and tested it several times getting A+ each time with 3% being the max spike on the readings.

I jumped onto BO3, crossed my fingers and held my breath.

Guess what...

IT WORKED!!!

WooooHooooo

:)

Thanks for all the help guys!

I also checked my Bufferbloat and tested it several times getting A+ each time with 3% being the max spike on the readings.

Guess what...

IT WORKED!!!

WooooHooooo

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/20/4c/c2/204cc2423e52345cc299da74b05c8b8c.jpg

Good times and happy hunting sir!

Right...

I went ahead and reset both the R1 and the Home Hub, reset and re-synced out all my ethernet powerline adapters, re-assigned my Duma settings but moved my GF location to Germany instead of the UK to try and avoid the south coast server that has been giving me gripe.

Guess what...

IT WORKED!!!

That's why I love this forum and these folks

WooooHooooo

Archived