Power Surge.....Well no more "banned" people =(

I know I had made a post a while back about losing all of the people I had denied from doing a hard reset on my router. I was following the steps Crossy had told me (reset through the software itself) but  last night we had a powersurge which kicked the router offline, which in turn completely reset all the people I had denied before, over around a months worth of people =(.

There has to be some way to save this information so this does not happen. Power surges are a common thing and losing all the denied people everytime it happens, well it would suck and completely negate the need of the router lol.

I have a whole house surge installed goes in the electrical panel, not to be installed by an armature. Serious risk of death if you don't know what you are doing! You could look into an APC UPS. If you get the right one it will have surge built in and will keep your stuff on for a while(depending how much is on it). But a downloadable file is probably what you were wanting to save your blocked server for right? There may be some way through Java script to make a text file of each one but never tried .

Being able to make a backup of things like this is on the ticket system to be added :)

Weird how a power surge deleted this though - was it only this that was deleted?

No it completely reset the router, changed all the settings I had back to the it was when I first received it

• Administrators

In my opinion it's a little silly that this router can't save settings and a power cycle erases half the things you have set.

Any settings that actually have any function are saved. If you reset the router it's starts a fresh that's the purpose of factory reset. I don't really understand the issue here?

Having said that the new version has profiles that you can save onto your computer and share with friends. I wasn't planning on adding Add/Deny saving. But you guys want that? :)

Any settings that actually have any function are saved. If you reset the router it's starts a fresh that's the purpose of factory reset. I don't really understand the issue here?

Having said that the new version has profiles that you can save onto your computer and share with friends. I wasn't planning on adding Add/Deny saving. But you guys want that? :)

There are a lot of people that want to be able to save their add/deny list.  That would definitely make it better/easier for dedicated servers, but chiver needs to remember that any p2p connections he's allowed or blocked will only be valid as long as that person has the same ip address.  If they don't have a static IP, their IP address will change every time their ISP issues them a new IP address.  Then you have to add or deny them again anyway

Iain,

The issue I had is that I never did a factory reset. All I had was a power surge at my house from the recent winter storm we had. The power was cut off from the router for about 10 seconds and then came back on. That was enough to completely reset the entire router / software, so I lost all of the people I allowed/denied due to no issue from the user.

I do have everything plugged into a surge strip, but it still cut the power off for a few seconds. This is why I think it will be awesome to have Add/Deny saving so issues like this wont happen again. I lost about a months worth of Add/Deny people =(

This is interesting to me, because I live on a rather fragile radial arm power circuit.  What that means in real world talk is the power to my community has only one way in, and when that is compromised, we are out of power for days at a time.

During the Black Ops 3 BETA I was play "testing" the duma and we lost power.  I have an ATS and a standby generator, but it usually takes about 4 to 6 seconds to crank up as the circuit does something like 50 samples of the incoming power line as a safety measure before it powers up the generator.  I even tweeted a couple of screen shots to Fraser at the time about "BO3 On Test: No Line Power"

While I had to reset the XB1, console at the time, everything else was fine.

Had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago when we lost power again.  This time I was on the PS4 and didn't lose any settings.

I don't think you had a line outage, per say, I think you had a spike (surge as you correctly identified - again my suspicion) which caused protectionary circuits to "cut out".  When this happens a normal house line can see many, MANY times the normal VOLTAGE, but 99.9% of the time without the AMPERAGE.

I'm wondering if what you had was a voltage spike and failure that caused the memory loss, not a standard power loss.  Any chance you smelled any smoke or burning paper scents from your fuse panel after the power loss?

Easy enough to check for anyone else interested.  

Find the circuit your router is on, power it up and go flip the breaker to off.  That is more of a loss of power condition.

So, brightside?  Maybe some of the guys with really bad internet are no longer playing your game of choice, so you don't have to worry about blocking them again?

Surge protector would probably have helped, to be honest.  If you don't have one for your primary entertainment center, I highly suggest everyone get one.  It's one of the "Key Three" (Laundry - 240V needed, Kitchen - sometimes 240V needed and "Living/Home Theater" - known high voltage usage) when it comes to delivering power to the home.  As such, those circuits can receive higher levels of voltage because the incoming protection circuit-breakers are larger feeding this circuits based on expected use.

Sorry man, that sucks.  I did a hard reset at one point and lost all my blocked hosts on P2P games for BO2.  It was a painful few nights work to get back to "normal".

By no means am I bashing the router at all, I think you should know that by now... I'm just saying that even a $10 no-name brand router can save all settings during a power outage/cycle.

• Netduma Staff

By no means am I bashing the router at all, I think you should know that by now... I'm just saying that even a $10 no-name brand router can save all settings during a power outage/cycle.

It would be good if settings were saved instantly rather than once an hour :)

This is interesting to me, because I live on a rather fragile radial arm power circuit.  What that means in real world talk is the power to my community has only one way in, and when that is compromised, we are out of power for days at a time.

During the Black Ops 3 BETA I was play "testing" the duma and we lost power.  I have an ATS and a standby generator, but it usually takes about 4 to 6 seconds to crank up as the circuit does something like 50 samples of the incoming power line as a safety measure before it powers up the generator.  I even tweeted a couple of screen shots to Fraser at the time about "BO3 On Test: No Line Power"

While I had to reset the XB1, console at the time, everything else was fine.

Had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago when we lost power again.  This time I was on the PS4 and didn't lose any settings.

I don't think you had a line outage, per say, I think you had a spike (surge as you correctly identified - again my suspicion) which caused protectionary circuits to "cut out".  When this happens a normal house line can see many, MANY times the normal VOLTAGE, but 99.9% of the time without the AMPERAGE.

I'm wondering if what you had was a voltage spike and failure that caused the memory loss, not a standard power loss.  Any chance you smelled any smoke or burning paper scents from your fuse panel after the power loss?

Easy enough to check for anyone else interested.  

Find the circuit your router is on, power it up and go flip the breaker to off.  That is more of a loss of power condition.

So, brightside?  Maybe some of the guys with really bad internet are no longer playing your game of choice, so you don't have to worry about blocking them again?

Surge protector would probably have helped, to be honest.  If you don't have one for your primary entertainment center, I highly suggest everyone get one.  It's one of the "Key Three" (Laundry - 240V needed, Kitchen - sometimes 240V needed and "Living/Home Theater" - known high voltage usage) when it comes to delivering power to the home.  As such, those circuits can receive higher levels of voltage because the incoming protection circuit-breakers are larger feeding this circuits based on expected use.

Sorry man, that sucks.  I did a hard reset at one point and lost all my blocked hosts on P2P games for BO2.  It was a painful few nights work to get back to "normal".

Thing is, I DO have a surge protector as I have stated many times. I didnt want to cause a big stir, just thought this type of router would have a back-up save feature of the primary selling point on the router.

Archived