PS4 chat problems

So I have been having problems with my mic cutting out for some people in my party chat on PS4.  I have tried 3 different headsets and some players can hear me but others cant and this started when I bought my R1.  My NAT is always NAT2 and open in game.  I tried forwarding ports and shutting off WIFI.  My sons PS4 is not having this problem.  I am wired directly to R1 and he is wired to 2nd router bridged to R1.

Please help I am running out of options.

Edit;  My audio works perfect and I can hear everyone perfectly.

Did you give your friends 100 percent rating ?

Sometimes it's a compatibility issue between your friends and you,on PS3 I'd play with friends and I would host and could hear them fine but only one could hear the other one.And we found that it was just a compatibility issue between those 2,still to this day have no idea why.

Are your friends NAT type open also or are some strict ?

Can also try deleting those friends and re adding them one by one and check the audio out with each one and eventually you'll find the issue.

Did you give your friends 100 percent rating ?

Sometimes it's a compatibility issue between your friends and you,on PS3 I'd play with friends and I would host and could hear them fine but only one could hear the other one.And we found that it was just a compatibility issue between those 2,still to this day have no idea why.

Are your friends NAT type open also or are some strict ?

Can also try deleting those friends and re adding them one by one and check the audio out with each one and eventually you'll find the issue.

So even if geo-filter is turned off I still need to put them in allow list with 100% rating?

• Administrators

Hi Kurt,

If the Geo-Filter is disabled then it's not a host filtering issue. The only other thing is you need to make sure you and your friends both have open NATs. Can you follow these instructions to make sure you have an open NAT: http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=how_do_i_open_my_nat

Finally if you're party leader your friends can benefit from the Geo-Filter. People often move their virtual home(using the house button) to a location in the middle of all players.

Happy Xmas! :)

Hi Kurt,

If the Geo-Filter is disabled then it's not a host filtering issue. The only other thing is you need to make sure you and your friends both have open NATs. Can you follow these instructions to make sure you have an open NAT: http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=how_do_i_open_my_nat

Finally if you're party leader your friends can benefit from the Geo-Filter. People often move their virtual home(using the house button) to a location in the middle of all players.

Happy Xmas! :)

That is what I thought. I have checked multiple times and the router always says I have Open Nat. I also always have Open in BO3 always. The players that say my mic is cutting out claim they also have Open Nat. There are a few people that say my mic is not cutting out for them.

It's very frustrating and my next step is to hook up old router and see if it helps but I really like the R1 features.

I have this problem every time I try to play with Bagsta over in the UK.

I have an open Nat, he has an open Nat. We try to accept a game or chat invite and we can't communicate. One of us resets a time or two and it's back to normal.

We have tried a lot of fixes, but sometimes it just takes a physical reset.

I have this problem every time I try to play with Bagsta over in the UK.

I have an open Nat, he has an open Nat. We try to accept a game or chat invite and we can't communicate. One of us resets a time or two and it's back to normal.

We have tried a lot of fixes, but sometimes it just takes a physical reset.

The weird thing is everything works perfect except most people say my mic cuts out.  Only a few people say it doesnt.  I can connect to everyone I have tried in party chat and game lobbies.  I can hear everyone and the audio works fine.

Going to sound strange but what are your ISP provided upload speeds?

10d 2u. And it is very consistent w/low ping /jitter. Up until a year ago I ran 5d 1u on PS3.

When I test on PS4 it will show 8d 1.5u.

I don't like where you are going with this. This is the best interenet available for me and I have spent countless hours with my ISP to get best service possible.

I don't like where you are going with this. This is the best interenet available for me and I have spent countless hours with my ISP to get best service possible.

10d and 2u or even 8d and 1.5u is more than enough, I was thinking if you said something like 1d & 128Kbps up then I'd have been concerned of limitations but you're fine.

Are you sure you don't have a broken mic?

Yes I have used 3 different headsets.  Just had a pair of A50s come in the mail and all of them are doing the same thing.

I will be switching back to my old router today to see if it corrects the issue.

• Administrators

Sorry to hear that Kurt. Can you try taking your Mic to your friends house and see if the problem persists?

Also are you playing on a wireless console? If so try giving wired a go.

Sorry to hear that Kurt. Can you try taking your Mic to your friends house and see if the problem persists?

Also are you playing on a wireless console? If so try giving wired a go.

Always wired.  I am not very computer savy but been gaming long enough to know how to optimize my system.

LOL I'm 38 and dont have any friends with a PS4.  But my son does and I am going to try his console but I have a suspicion it is my internet.  I have done multiple speed/ping/jitter tests and I am getting a few inconsistencies with the jitter.  Not sure if it is enough to mess with my mic, especially since I never lag and always have full ping bars in game.

Every diagnostic test I run on the Duma is Good, Exceptional, Exceptional, No Loss

The weird thing is everything works perfect except most people say my mic cuts out.  Only a few people say it doesnt.  I can connect to everyone I have tried in party chat and game lobbies.  I can hear everyone and the audio works fine.

Are you setting up an in-game party chat?  Or are you going through the console interface?

If I set up an "In Game" party invite, the mic frequently is muted for those I am playing with (I assume as well) as the game is loading in, or the screens are changing to the winners circle.  

Happened all day on Saturday when I was gaming with Fuzzy Clam.  He would be telling me something, mic would cut out as we dropped into a game, or the game ended and the ceremonies began, and then I would say "What was that?".

It WAS frequently irritating, I'll admit.

I usually use the PS Console party chat.  Get that set up prior to dropping in on the game.  I presume this is running at a different layer that isn't affected by in game, or whatever, but I don't experience this issue if the Console chat is used.

I have a few friends with similar issues that don't have a Netduma.   Their mics often break up while in chat.  They happen to have more lag while in games too.  Do you have experience lag issues at times too?

Always wired.  I am not very computer savy but been gaming long enough to know how to optimize my system.

LOL I'm 38 and dont have any friends with a PS4.  But my son does and I am going to try his console but I have a suspicion it is my internet.  I have done multiple speed/ping/jitter tests and I am getting a few inconsistencies with the jitter.  Not sure if it is enough to mess with my mic, especially since I never lag and always have full ping bars in game.

Every diagnostic test I run on the Duma is Good, Exceptional, Exceptional, No Loss

Are you setting up an in-game party chat?  Or are you going through the console interface?

If I set up an "In Game" party invite, the mic frequently is muted for those I am playing with (I assume as well) as the game is loading in, or the screens are changing to the winners circle.  

Happened all day on Saturday when I was gaming with Fuzzy Clam.  He would be telling me something, mic would cut out as we dropped into a game, or the game ended and the ceremonies began, and then I would say "What was that?".

It WAS frequently irritating, I'll admit.

I usually use the PS Console party chat.  Get that set up prior to dropping in on the game.  I presume this is running at a different layer that isn't affected by in game, or whatever, but I don't experience this issue if the Console chat is used.

Always PS4 party chat.  The few times I used game chat nobody said my mic was cutting out, but I didnt ask either.

COD has always been like that where the game chat will cut out while loading the game session or going back to the lobby.

• Administrators

It sounds like it's a non networking related issue. But if you get a chance when no one is home go to "Device Manager"  then click Edit. Then block every device other than your PS4. Does the problem go away now? 

It sounds like it's a non networking related issue. But if you get a chance when no one is home go to "Device Manager"  then click Edit. Then block every device other than your PS4. Does the problem go away now? 

I will try this when I get home today.

I also did some more testing with my connection.  I have always used 3 different speed test sites that also give a ping.  Speakeasy Megapath has packet loss, ping, jitter and my jitter is usually between 1-4ms but would occasionally creep up to 7-10ms.  So I went to DSLreports.com after reading about it on this forum.  My bluffer bloat is an A every time but the quality a D every single time.  When I just run jitter test it fails every time.  The diagnostic test on the Duma isnt picking this up cause 9/10 it is Good, exceptional, exceptional, No loss.  

Is this the source of my problem?  As I said before my old router didnt change anything so this is an ISP problem I am guessing.  I have put a call into them but the tech hasnt returned my call yet.  I may be screwed cause I run on a WISP and it is the only thing available in my area, and I have been using the same ISP for 8 years and never had a problem like this.  I pay extra for my own dedicated signal and access point.

• Netduma Staff

I will try this when I get home today.

I also did some more testing with my connection.  I have always used 3 different speed test sites that also give a ping.  Speakeasy Megapath has packet loss, ping, jitter and my jitter is usually between 1-4ms but would occasionally creep up to 7-10ms.  So I went to DSLreports.com after reading about it on this forum.  My bluffer bloat is an A every time but the quality a D every single time.  When I just run jitter test it fails every time.  The diagnostic test on the Duma isnt picking this up cause 9/10 it is Good, exceptional, exceptional, No loss.  

Is this the source of my problem?  As I said before my old router didnt change anything so this is an ISP problem I am guessing.  I have put a call into them but the tech hasnt returned my call yet.  I may be screwed cause I run on a WISP and it is the only thing available in my area, and I have been using the same ISP for 8 years and never had a problem like this.  I pay extra for my own dedicated signal and access point.

If the Duma says it's ok, it sounds like something on your connection could be causing it because when the Duma does the test, it blocks all devices from using the internet :) Have you got the sliders set to 70% when you to the BB test?

I'm not sure if this is the source of your issue though.

Archived