Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Halo 5 Compatablility: Cloud Update Now Live

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 19,178 posts

Hey, welcome to the forum.

1. Not much: Geo-filter on, strict mode ticked, ping assist at 0. Then you search, you'll get booted. Rinse repeat until it gets you into a game. 
  2. The above will happen for each playlist, they almost every time try to force a US host. The only way to guarantee an EU host is to do the above.
  3. The best place to buy it would be on our website netduma.com. We're the only router in the world that can Geo-filter games. So whilst the above isn't the most ideal situation of getting EU games they only way you can do it is with our router. It depends on your location, if you look here and put in your country you can see how much it will be.
  4. Yes it would help you, our congestion control will ensure no devices in your home will impact each other. E.g. downloading, streaming etc won't affect your gaming.

Twitter/Facebook/YouTube/Twitch/Instagram/Steam Group/Discord

Official R1 Support Times: 10am - 6pm BST

Official DumaOS/XR500 Support Times: 12pm - Midnight BST

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

K0NSPIRACY

K0NSPIRACY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Thanks for your reply Fraser.

Could you confirm how this works with the matchmaking process look in the game lobby if I'm playing solo or with a fireteam? Does everyone have to back out or does it kick everyone back to lobby or main menu? 

How long does it usually take to process orders if I purchase directly via the Netduma website?

Also, I've read some of the documentation and it would appear that this would work in parallel to my existing Sky router (connected via RJ45) rather than replacing the Sky router?

Od1n

Od1n

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

it kicks only you and your fireteam has to play on the US host without you

everyone in the fireteam needs a netduma for this

playing alone is no problem though

K0NSPIRACY

K0NSPIRACY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Well that's not very good if correct. Could the rest of the fireteam quit the game via dashboard or may be leave the fireteam to prevent joining the game?

Od1n

Od1n

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

sure they can go to the dashboard and restart the game :)

from my experience in warzone assault you get a EU server every 5-6 tries, dont know how it is in arena

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 19,178 posts

How long does it usually take to process orders if I purchase directly via the Netduma website?

Also, I've read some of the documentation and it would appear that this would work in parallel to my existing Sky router (connected via RJ45) rather than replacing the Sky router?

As Od1n has answered the Halo questions I'll answer these. 

It depends on the time of your order. If you order before ~2:30GMT it will be processed and sent out that day. If after that time it will be processed and sent out during the next working day. 

Yes you just plug the R1 into the back of your existing modem/router and then connect all of your devices to the R1.

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

K0NSPIRACY

K0NSPIRACY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Thanks for your response Fraser.

Could you confirm if Od1n is correct in terms of your fireteam backing out if not connected to EU server please. I presume you guys must have done extensive testing on this so is there any other way for the fireteam to back out of the game rather than them all quitting from dashboard (obviously that would be time intensive to do this everytime).

I've also read over at HaloWaypoint that Netduma users are currently unable to find EU servers for team games (FFA appears to work ok). This coincides with the Infinity Armoury update so is this purely coincidence or have 343i made further changes to their netcode if this in indeed correct?

Od1n

Od1n

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

okay so here a more indepth answer

the R1 works perfectly with every halo game (exception is halo 5 see below)

so that means when you are the leader of a fireteam say in halo mcc or h4 the R1 can guarantee you play on an EU host 100% of the time without any backout or anything

same for any other online game EXCEPT for halo 5

so what makes halo 5 so special?

well 343i is the company with the least competences, thats why

they decided to take a very unique and stupid approach for online gaming

a normal game, once the matchmaking lobby is complete, will do a network test to either determine which player of the lobby has the best connection for everyone (P2P host) or which dedicated server is the best for everyone

that person or server then will host the game for everyone

halo 5 doesnt do this, it picks a dedicated server without testing if its the best option for the lobby

and here comes the problem, halo 5 highly favours US dedicated servers since 60-70% of the playerbase is american

theres no pingtest or anything, the game just picks the server without any

these pingtests and connection tests though are what the R1 requires to guaranteey ou an EU host

since that is not part of halo 5 the R1 cannot 100% give you EU host with each search

to compensate for that the R1 just kicks you out of the game if you are connected to a US host

while its not a very time efficient method its still the best thing around to guarantee you play on a EU host

as i said you might have to search 5-6 times until you have a EU game

your fireteam can go do the dashboard and restart the game once you play on a US host :)

an alternative is to be in a chatparty, have the chat party snapped and the click "leave chat party - to multiplayer"

that way your friends stay in the game and do not need to restart via dashboard

another alternative is to go to system settings, then connection, and then click the offline button

you can instantly go online again by clicking online

though your friends will obviously leave any party or chatparty that way and have to reconnect to it

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 19,178 posts

Yes what Od1n has said above it correct. 

If it has changed anything we'll check it out and see what is happening.

Time Converter

K0NSPIRACY

K0NSPIRACY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Thanks both.

an alternative is to be in a chatparty, have the chat party snapped and the click "leave chat party - to multiplayer"

that way your friends stay in the game and do not need to restart via dashboard

So doing this will kick fireteam members back to the main Halo5 menu or lobby rather than forcing them into the match? If so, that is a much better solution than having to quit via dashboard or going offline. 

ProfessorHeady

ProfessorHeady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

So for US based players, does this still happen often? What's the best course of action to use when trying to play a game in the US as a player who is actually based there. 

Should I be the fire team leader when searching for games every time or does this not matter?

Od1n

Od1n

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Thanks both.

So doing this will kick fireteam members back to the main Halo5 menu or lobby rather than forcing them into the match? If so, that is a much better solution than having to quit via dashboard or going offline. 

yes it kicks them just back into the halo 5 dashboard, all they need to do is join you again then while they remain in the chatparty

though they should be rather quick on doing that, tell them to leave once youve spotted a US server

reasons is once the game is too close to start and you quit out of it (regardless of closing the game or chatparty trick) you get a penalty for quitting

your friends have to quit before the countdown for the game starts (5,4,3,2,1, start to blackscreen and launch the map)

So for US based players, does this still happen often? What's the best course of action to use when trying to play a game in the US as a player who is actually based there. 

Should I be the fire team leader when searching for games every time or does this not matter?

read my longer post above, it doesnt matter for several reasons

the biggest is that 80-90% of the time the lobby plays on a US host, so you dont need to geo-filter as an US player at all (screw 343i for that pathetic favourism)

next to that its only the R1 user who gets kicked from the non-US server while anyone else from the fireteam connects to the oversea server

therefore it doesnt matter if the R1 user is the leader or just part of the party, hes the only one who loses connection to the server

(reason is explained above, its halo 5s unique network system)

K0NSPIRACY

K0NSPIRACY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Ok thanks Od1n.  B)

ProfessorHeady

ProfessorHeady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Do you think it would make a big difference for me being on a telephone line DSL connection? I can tell when I get a close server vs a server across the country. The difference for my particular connection is very noticable.

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 19,178 posts

Do you think it would make a big difference for me being on a telephone line DSL connection? I can tell when I get a close server vs a server across the country. The difference for my particular connection is very noticable.

If your ping is good there isn't a difference you would see. You could use the Geo in the US and favour an area, just have a bigger radius than usual.

We'll be making a video on Halo 5 very soon though it's more tailored towards EU players, but the same theory should apply for the US to get certain H5 servers.

Time Converter

flow1989

flow1989

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Server don't always show up in the right location, thats why the geofilter doesnt work for me.

Same Ping (~55ms) but supposedly different servers:

rv5ZHRR.png?1

Je5uT1H.png?1

After the most recent matchmaking update i play on EU servers most of the time. Is it possible to set the filter radius to 0 and use ping assist (set to less then 100ms) to block US server?

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 19,178 posts

Could you provide the ID for that first one? I can't read it, feel like I'm going cross eyed!

Yes that should work, but you'll get booted and will have to keep researching. Remember to keep strict on as well.

Time Converter

flow1989

flow1989

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

c0a87641455f3a3f

Took the screenshot while i scrolled accidentally. I knew about the get bootet and search again part. But you can do nothing about it.

No problem as long i can play on EU servers :)

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 19,178 posts

HUGE cloud update went out for Halo. It's night and day now. Go to this thread if you're wanting to test it. You should see a massive difference just by having auto&bleeding edge cloud ticked and applied though. 

I'll lock this thread now.

Time Converter