No internet connection

I recieved my brand new R1 router 2 days ago, and followed the setup instructions and was not able to the internet through wifi or hardline. Serching through the forum I tried everything that I could find with no luck in resolving this problem.

Please help

I do not currently have the R1 hooked up since I was unable to connect the internet with the it. We have a Zyxel C1100Z router that came with the modem we got from CenturyLink, that is currently in modem port 4 to wan\lan port on that router. And another ethernet cable going to a PS4. I checked online and I'm unsure if they use a PPPoE, this is my first time trying to set up a different router other than the one that was provided by the ISP. I can contact their tech support and find out if they do indeed use a PPPoE. I hope that was the right information some of this is still new to me. I also uploded a picture of our current modem\router set up with this post if that helps.

15423383123871649537905.jpg

• Netduma Staff

That'll be your culprit. You need to enter your PPPoE details in the R1 WAN settings. If you don't do this, you won't be able to access the Internet through it.

You should hopefully be able to find those PPPoE details easily - it'll be a username and password, maybe found on the Modem interface itself.

• Administrators

Are you using that white cable to connect to the R1? It's hard to tell from the picture but looks like the port the white ethernet cable is isn't what should be connected to the R1. Connect the R1 to one of the yellow ports and see if that works please

The white ethernet cable is going from the modem to the zyxel router so I can still have internet access. I used the cable that came with my R1 plugging it direct into both the modem and the zyxel router and neither one gave me internet access.

• Administrators

How is the modem getting a connection? Surely it needs to be connected via the DSL port to the wall but it doesn't look like that. I assume the blue cable is the one that does it but doesn't make sense it coming from the LAN port. 

The blue eithernet cable is going to my PS4. I attached another photo to this post, the thin black wire coming out from the wall, going directly to the modem, comes form the outside wall of the house where CentryLink hooked up our internet line.154242080444032405687.thumb.jpg.ca3b8c670fed4abb87c1ec4f04d367f2.jpg

Please don't sit your router behind or beside the power bricks these things need ventilation it could become a fire issue they could also cause interfere with one another and also please careful with them cables you or someone else will end up breaking a leg or something :D

I apologise for being a bit blunt but I wouldn't want you or anyone else to get hurt

I personally don't know why you are trying to connect a modem to a modem/router combo then to the netduma?

This just overcomplicates things for yourself if you don't have an understanding in what your doing

It is unnecessary in many circumstances and it just becomes more time consuming to diagnose when things go wrong

Theres no point in using a secondary modem when you have one in the combo

Unless  you're using it because there is a problem with you modem/router combo or the combo doesn't support your connection or some other reason please explain?

How are you wanting to set up your router

Do you want to use the netduma as your only router within your household or do you want to use your netduma strictly for wired gaming with the wifi disabled

having everyone else sharing a secondary router

A few more details like this about your network and what your trying to achieve should make the process easier for you to get sorted

Heres a link for your zyxel c1100z  modem/router for reference incase you need it

https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/zyxel-c1100z.html