Internet completely drops, had to restart router

So for two days straight now, my XR500 has randomly dropped both Wi-Fi and Ethernet connections completely. You can still connect to the router, but internet is not available. Once I reboot the router its back to normal until the following day when it drops connection again. I have a few settings enabled such as Wi-Fi Smart Switch, Anti Bufferbloat when high priority traffic is detected, and Geo Filter for two of the devices in my home, both on Filtering mode. I'm running on version 2.3.2.22. I will see if I can keep an eye on the logs next time this issue occurs.

• Netduma Staff

So for two days straight now, my XR500 has randomly dropped both Wi-Fi and Ethernet connections completely. You can still connect to the router, but internet is not available. Once I reboot the router its back to normal until the following day when it drops connection again. I have a few settings enabled such as Wi-Fi Smart Switch, Anti Bufferbloat when high priority traffic is detected, and Geo Filter for two of the devices in my home, both on Filtering mode. I'm running on version 2.3.2.22. I will see if I can keep an eye on the logs next time this issue occurs.

Welcome to the forum!

You should try a factory reset to see if that will resolve the issue. You can perform a factory reset via Settings > Administration > Backup Settings > Erase. Please let us know if this resolves your issue.

Please keep in mind that this will clear your settings, but hopefully your connection will stabilise after it.

• Administrators

That’s the exact same happens to me, will that fix be included it a later update. It’s just I don’t want to downgrade and re do my settings.

Yes it will be included in the next update as far as I am aware. Shouldn't have to redo your settings when downgrading.

Thanks for the very quick response, Netduma support team! I will try the downgraded firmware and keep you updated if the issue persists.

UPDATE: I had to factory reset my router after the downgrade, since the router for some reason was not able to detect an internet connection from my modem. Once I factory reset and put all my settings back to how they were, its up and running with no issues so far. I'll have to wait a few days and see if the issue I was having with the latest firmware is still present though, but so far so good.

Edited by LastReaction

Okay so here's an update:

I downgraded to the firmware that Frazer provided me and did a factory reset, and the internet drops have gone away. But a new issue has occurred with the Geo-Filter and a few other issues. I will list the bugs below.

• It does not keep the settings I originally put, and puts random devices in the list to Geo-Filter that I did not put myself.
  • There is also unbearable lag in my games. I will turn off Geo-Filter, play a few games and see if this persists.
  • When I add a second device to the Geo-Filter, it automatically lists it as a console instead of giving me an option to choose what game I want to Geo-Filter for specifically.
  • Device manager randomly renames devices and classifies them as random types when I had them set to something else.

This is pretty unfortunate, considering the latest firmware has an internet dropping problem, and the downgraded firmware has a Geo-Filter and game lag issue. I'm not sure what to do here.

• Administrators
  • It does not keep the settings I originally put, and puts random devices in the list to Geo-Filter that I did not put myself.

It won't put random devices into the Geo-Filter. The likelihood the name has changed which would also change it on the Geo-Filter or someone else with access has added a device to the Geo-Filter.

• There is also unbearable lag in my games. I will turn off Geo-Filter, play a few games and see if this persists.

Likely to do with distance to the server or your QoS settings. If you were on the previous version without issue then this fix will have not changed functionality at all.

• When I add a second device to the Geo-Filter, it automatically lists it as a console instead of giving me an option to choose what game I want to Geo-Filter for specifically.

In the device manager change the device type to something that's not a console.

• Device manager randomly renames devices and classifies them as random types when I had them set to something else.

Which devices is this happening to?

It 100% did put random devices into the Geo-Filter. I originally had 2 devices that I set specifically in the Geo-Filter, and when the extreme lag in my game started occurring, I signed into my router to find out that two completely different devices with different MAC Addresses than the one I originally had it set to were applied instead.

The device manager seemed to randomly rename the two devices that I had originally set in the Geo-Filter specifically. That might most likely be why the Geo-Filter chose two random devices from my network to fill in the gaps since the names of the original two devices changed and the Geo-Filter could not find them. Both devices I had Geo-Filter set for before the glitch occurred were PCs, one is used to mainly play Overwatch, and the other is used by a family member and is usually playing Fortnite. The Fortnite PC was changed by the device manager to a console device out of nowhere.

• Administrators

It 100% did put random devices into the Geo-Filter. I originally had 2 devices that I set specifically in the Geo-Filter, and when the extreme lag in my game started occurring, I signed into my router to find out that two completely different devices with different MAC Addresses than the one I originally had it set to were applied instead.

The device manager seemed to randomly rename the two devices that I had originally set in the Geo-Filter specifically. That might most likely be why the Geo-Filter chose two random devices from my network to fill in the gaps since the names of the original two devices changed and the Geo-Filter could not find them. Both devices I had Geo-Filter set for before the glitch occurred were PCs, one is used to mainly play Overwatch, and the other is used by a family member and is usually playing Fortnite. The Fortnite PC was changed by the device manager to a console device out of nowhere.

I don't know what to suggest as I've never seen this before. Can you grab us the logs when this happens please?