PS4 Party Chat NAT isssues (requesting assistance)

Whenever I use the netduma router, I am unable to chat to a friend in my party. The problem goes away sometimes if multiple people join, but most of the time I cannot talk to or hear anybody due to nat problems. I 'never' get this issue with my PS4 party when I connect to PSN with my sky fibre router only.

• Netduma Staff

Whenever I use the netduma router, I am unable to chat to a friend in my party. The problem goes away sometimes if multiple people join, but most of the time I cannot talk to or hear anybody due to nat problems. I 'never' get this issue with my PS4 party when I connect to PSN with my sky fibre router only.

Hey, welcome to the forum! So first of all, is this your PSN NAT or your in-game NAT being affected? Do you have more than one console?

Take a look at this guide and follow the steps, it should help you out. http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000022359-how-do-i-open-my-nat-

• Netduma Staff

All I really know us that whenever I enter a party chat, it says that I cannot chat to the people in the party due to a NAT type error.

Alright; could you please follow the guide I linked you and see if any of those solutions work out for you?

Are your friends on your white list? Can you chat to them with the geo filter off?

I have found with several people here that if you have different nat types it can sometimes cause an issue. Backing out of chat and starting chat up again sometimes works.

Another way is to set up chat in game to only hear friends and use the in game chat.

OK cheers, if you are still having problems please let us know how you have things connected. ISP modem to R1 etc

Do you have open nat? Do yore friends have open nat?

Also let us know what your speeds are and how you have congestion control set up etc.

Are your friends on your white list?

OK cheers, if you are still having problems please let us know how you have things connected. ISP modem to R1 etc

Do you have open nat? Do yore friends have open nat?

Also let us know what your speeds are and how you have congestion control set up etc.

Are your friends on your white list?

My PS4 is connected to the R1 via Ethernet. The R1 is connected to my Sky Fibre router via Ethernet. When my Sky Fibre router is directly connected to my PS4 via Ethernet cable, the speed are about 40 down and 8 up. When my PS4 is connected to the R1, my speeds are about 14 down and 2 up. Most of the friends that I play with have nat type 2. Various other devices, such as phones and iPads connect to the Sky Fibre router via wifi. The geo-filter locater was manually moved to the UK, London because it automatically puts the locator in the US. I have selected the Destiny profile to play Destiny on my PS4, and I have selected the PlayStation service. I have previously manually put my friends on my allow list and I am sometimes able to talk to them, but I often have to repeat the process and find them again the next time I turn my console on. Also, it doesn't always work, so I stopped doing it every time I used party chat.

Thats great if you take a look here regarding your speeds it may help http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000022366-why-is-my-connection-speed-lower-

When you do the speed test with the R1 connected do you have your congestion control sliders at 100%?

If your friends have dynamic ip address's if it changes then they will no longer be on your allow list. 

If they have a different nat type to you it can cause issues.

if you haven't already try setting your geo filter to around 1000km with your base where it is. Would this area include your friends locations?

I don't play destiny so cannot comment on in game chat on that game.

Do you play any other games and do they give you the same problem?

I he a nat type 2. The geo filter is set to 2000KM at the moment. I have NAT type 2. I believe the sliders are set to 70%, but I don't mind the speeds being lower. I have this problem with all games. My friends are within the UK, yes.

Unfortunately, it's impractical for me to ask all of my friends to make a static up.

The speed drop with the duma is because you are limiting speeds to 70% of what you get with the congestion control sliders.

I understand it is not practical to tell your friends to get a static ip but at the moment if their ip changes then they will need to be added to the allow list again.

Do you get this issue with the geo filter on and off?

Nat type 2 is open on the ps4 but you may have a moderate or strict nat in game. 

So might your friends,I had this issue about half way through the lifespan of Black Ops 3 and gave my console a static IP and forwarded ports for the Call of duty game and have not had an issue since.

Might be worth a try looking up the ports for destiny and try doing that.

Here is a link to giving your PS4 a static IP and how to forward ports. This has the ports for COD so just replace with the destiny ones.

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/15763-port-forward-static-ip-for-blops3-iw-on-ps4/

• Netduma Staff

I he a nat type 2. The geo filter is set to 2000KM at the moment. I have NAT type 2. I believe the sliders are set to 70%, but I don't mind the speeds being lower. I have this problem with all games. My friends are within the UK, yes.

Unfortunately, it's impractical for me to ask all of my friends to make a static up.

I would re-iterate what Bagsta said above; please clarify if this still happens with the Geo-filter turned off, since when it's turned off the Netduma essentially acts the same as a normal router. It would be strange for party-chat issues to happen with it disabled.

I would just go into a private match with 1 friend at a time and whitelist them, there should be only you and him in the lobby

click on his circle,rate him 100 % and give him a handle (name) and then hit update.

Another way to tell if your friends are whitelisted is if their circle is broken they are, if it isn't there not.

The reason I said this is because of what you described what was happening.And if it doesn't work for chat close the party out and have someone invite you that you couldn't connect to before and you usually can connect.Then cancel the chat again and send him an invite and it usually goes thrust least in my case it works but your milage may vary.

Padlock ID: b1362cf7d350a0a5 Distance 6187KM

Padlock ID: c834eeb9d167161b Distance 7912 KM

The circles have disappeared, possibly because people have left the party, but these two IDs flash on the map whether the geo-filter is on or off.