Best settings for anti-flood

TheGreatDansby

So I'm running an 85/85 fiber connection. The default flood percentage is 70% for both, but I understand that may not be the best for my, or anyone else's setup. I plan on tinkering with this, at what percentage do you think I should start at? When it's at 70 my speeds drop considerably, speeds of like 50/50 still good, but its a big difference. I was thinking about moving it to about 90. Is that a good idea. I also have it set to reactive and when gaming I put the QoS on the Xbox to about 80

For a connection like yours, 70 is way to low imho. Most QoS recommend around 85%. Knowing you have a fiber connection, the likely hood of your connection suffering speed issues during peak usage hours, is unlikely. So i would consider 90% being good for you. Also remember one of them settings limit you to around 50-60mbps, so you gotta use other for higher speed's.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Right I'll explain what's actually going on so you can decide what settings work best for you. At the bottom of the post I'll explain some extra things you need to be aware off. Please make sure you read that as well.  So I'll explain the two congestion control features separately, they are subtly different. 

Anti-Flood

When someone at your home starts downloading or uploading heavily it can make you lag. Why?

On computer networks when you go from a fast network to a slow network you have a potential bottleneck. For example the R1 can currently transmit at over 150bmit/s. If you have a upload broadband speed of say 10mbits. Then for every 15 packets the R1 can transmit your upload can only handle 1. This situation is worse in the down direction where your ISP will have a huge amount of bandwidth to the core Internet but you only have say 50mbit down.

What do computer networks do when they receive packets faster than they can transmit them? Instead of dropping them they actually queue them. So you have two scenarios:

1. Someone is uploading heavily e.g. youtube upload. A queue will build up on your modem
  2. Someone is downloading heavily e.g. torrenting a file. A queue will build up at your ISPs router(which you have no control over)

Remember games use MINIMAL bandwidth.  So when your poor lonely gaming packet arrives, it gets in a queue and has to wait a huge amount of time. Lag is induced and the rage countdown begins.

Since you have no control of your ISPs router or modem the best solution is to limit the total bandwidth used so its below the speed of your network. So if you have 100mbit connection you need to use less than 100mbits to not have a queue. This is where the percentage feature of anti-flood comes in. It lets you set what percentage of your connection to use. So why not just use 99%?

1. Unfortunately Internet traffic is sometimes bursty so you need to leave extra room to stop bursts causing lag spikes
  2. Bandwidth is not constant, it changes with the time of day. So you'll have less at different times, so you need a cushion to handle this situation

So personally I set my download and upload to 70%. However the goal is to set it as high as possible without you lagging or having lag spikes. So its a personal choice. Don't forget to set your bandwidth correctly once(On congestion control > Anti-flood you'll see the set bandwidth button ).

Device Prioritisation

So the goal of the anti-flood is to stop other people or devices impacting your game ping. So with the anti-flood you can say I only want to use x% of my connection so there is no queueing. But it doesn't let you decided how that bandwidth is shared. The device prioritisation does that. Its really simple just drag the circles to the devices you want to prioritise.

You'll see a section called "share_excess", I would urge you to enable that. What it means is that a device is entitled to the percentage you give it BUT if it doesn't use it then it can be used by other devices. This means you can do things like set your xbox to 95% and other people won't notice. Because the xbox will use what it needs then other devices can use the excess. If you disable share_excess other people will most likely get annoyed. 

Extra Info

1. If someone is torrenting, please ask them to disable utp. It won't make a difference to them but will make our anti-flood algorithm far more effectively 
  2. If you have less than 50mbits download I urge you to use our unique pre-emptive algorithm. If above use the reactive algorithm. These options are in the anti-flood section
  3. If you have more than 110mbits make sure you have version 1.02.3 or above and go to "Settings > Miscellaneous" and untick "Enable deep packet processing"

Happy to answer any questions :)

Guest Netduma_Iain

It will usually be in Settings > Network. If its not anywhere to be seen it probably means it doesn't have utp so you're good to already :)

Guest Netduma_Iain

Pre-emptive is our own unique algorithm. It does not work like ANY other router and does not drop packets as a way of enforcing rates.

Archived