Huawei HG612 modem set-up

Stealth_01

Hi all,

So after initially buying an incorrect ECI version of the modem like a lemon, i decided to buy the HUAWEI unlocked version. It arrived a week or so back and i have it currently set-up with the Netduma. Is there a thread on here which shows what settings i should adjust on the actual modem itself? Or does anyone have a similar set-up that could possibly throw some light or point me in the right direction as to what i could do to use it to its max potential? 

Thank you for all help provided in advanced :)

Depends on who your ISP is.

If it is BT you will need to set up your PPPoE password into the duma.

If you are on talk talk it is plug and play.

Depends on who your ISP is.

If it is BT you will need to set up your PPPoE password into the duma.

If you are on talk talk it is plug and play.

ISP is BT, i have PPPoE setup already with the existing modem so that shoudn't be a problem. Just wanted to know if there was additional settings i could change on the modem itself. Thanks for your help :)

On your modem if you log in and turn off QoS its under advanced. this may give you an increase in upload throughput

so you want to use both the modem and netduma to its max potential then i need to know a few things first.

What fiber package are you on?

What are your estimates?

what are your throughput speeds (speedtest.net, thinkbroadband etc,) with netduma at 100% CC and at 95% CC

and finally what are your throughput tests without the duma plugged in?

On your modem if you log in and turn off QoS its under advanced. this may give you an increase in upload throughput

so you want to use both the modem and netduma to its max potential then i need to know a few things first.

What fiber package are you on?

What are your estimates?

what are your throughput speeds (speedtest.net, thinkbroadband etc,) with netduma at 100% CC and at 95% CC

and finally what are your throughput tests without the duma plugged in?

Sweet, ill do these tests today and posts the results up as soon as i get a chance.

But for the meantime i can answer a few of these:

1. Im with Bt, and its the infinity 2 package - advertised 80/20

2. Estimates they provided me with are 76/18

3. Throughput varies during period of day, when would you like me to perform the rest of the tests? Im guessing peak? or is anytime ok?

Right so i finally got round to doing each of the tests as per request:

Note that all tests were done through a wired connection with no other devices connected.

As of time of day, it was around 9.30am GMT.

So with just the modem I managed to pull 74 down and 16 up

With the Duma connected and CC at 100% i was getting pretty much the same 74down and 16 up

No here's the curveball at 95% CC i was getting 55 down and 14 up..

Right so i finally got round to doing each of the tests as per request:

Note that all tests were done through a wired connection with no other devices connected.

As of time of day, it was around 9.30am GMT.

So with just the modem I managed to pull 74 down and 16 up

With the Duma connected and CC at 100% i was getting pretty much the same 74down and 16 up

No here's the curveball at 95% CC i was getting 55 down and 14 up..

Are you using Preemtive? as that is normal, use reactive.

Unfortunately, if you changed it so the netduma used PPPoE you would get the same results there about. The max potential you can get is how i have mine set up, http://forum.netduma.com/topic/16054-hg612-and-netduma-no-dmz-required-method/ 

with this method i can get 74 Mbps and 18 Mbps with CC set at 97% and i leave it at this for 24 hours a day unless there is heavier than usual traffic in my home then i drop it to the recommended 70% and bufferbloat is constantly at 'A' grade. Im assuming your ip profile at bt performance test is roughly 77.00. I believe with the changes i recommend you will get the max potential

Are you using Preemtive? as that is normal, use reactive.

Hi Zen,

I was definitely using reactive. Im gonna try the method redbull proposed and see how i get on. Hopefully it resolves the issue.

Unfortunately, if you changed it so the netduma used PPPoE you would get the same results there about. The max potential you can get is how i have mine set up, http://forum.netduma.com/topic/16054-hg612-and-netduma-no-dmz-required-method/

with this method i can get 74 Mbps and 18 Mbps with CC set at 97% and i leave it at this for 24 hours a day unless there is heavier than usual traffic in my home then i drop it to the recommended 70% and bufferbloat is constantly at 'A' grade. Im assuming your ip profile at bt performance test is roughly 77.00. I believe with the changes i recommend you will get the max potential

Sweet, im gonna get right on this and let u knw how i get on.

Problem is, i believe i have a dynamic IP from my ISP. Hopefully i can still get it to work.

Right, so first attempt did not go to plan at all... I followed the guide everything seemed to be going ok, and then BAM! i couldn't log into my modem anymore. Managed to get to the page of the interface, but it isnt accepting my password and admin name which are both admin. Eurrgghh, its so frustrating now. Had to connect back up to the old ECI modem once again. Do you guys think i need to reset the modem? what an earth could the password be? it was working fine until i started playing around with the settings. Kinda bummed, as i have no idea on how to unlock it. Bought it off eBay for a fair price. Kinda lost as to what to do now. Any suggestions?

its all easy to fix. So to get to the problem we first need to work out what went wrong.

To log back into your modem use your new gateway ip address example 84.122.313.1 you dont need to be connected to lan2 via ethernet you can now use lan1

if you have not changed your password it should log back in with admin and admin. 

if its not accepting the user name and password then a reset is needed, but ill get you a guide for that if you cant log in

this can take ages with messages maybe its best to talk and walk you through it when u have some time on your hands 2moro

Yeh i think your right, otherwise we'll just be going round in circles. Im free between 4pm and 7pm? Would that be ok? what would be convenient for you?

Im free all day on Saturday if that helps?

Right so just a quick update, ive tried logging into the router numerous times but no luck unfortunately. I think a reset is needed. Ive done abit of research as to how this unlocking process works. I managed to get to the part where it asks for the software update once u restart the router. Now i went onto the kit site and ive had a look at the unlocking firmware, but i dont know which file to download and upload to the modem, so im abit stuck. Theres so many, which ones the actual one that does the unlocking? Any ideas with regards to this?

Thanks mate for your patience and advice, I really do appreciate all the help your giving me :) 

Yeh i think your right, otherwise we'll just be going round in circles. Im free between 4pm and 7pm? Would that be ok? what would be convenient for you?

Im free all day on Saturday if that helps?

Right so just a quick update, ive tried logging into the router numerous times but no luck unfortunately. I think a reset is needed. Ive done abit of research as to how this unlocking process works. I managed to get to the part where it asks for the software update once u restart the router. Now i went onto the kit site and ive had a look at the unlocking firmware, but i dont know which file to download and upload to the modem, so im abit stuck. Theres so many, which ones the actual one that does the unlocking? Any ideas with regards to this?

Thanks mate for your patience and advice, I really do appreciate all the help your giving me :)

I have a HG612 unlocked running latest CFw, what is your trouble.

post-8592-0-56181300-1465548992_thumb.png

I have a HG612 unlocked running latest CFw, what is your trouble.

Right so im not sure which firmware to download or which file even. There so many to choose from. Which one will enable me to unlock it?

Heres a pic of all the options i have..

Archived