Wifi performance varying and no wifi light

Hi all, I've been following the forums for a while but today I finally received my R1. I've been through the setup and the wiki's but the wifi seems a bit iffy at the moment.

My setup is with the Netduma plugged directly into the BT Openreach modem.

On my PC (wired) internet speed tests started of a slower than it should be but it is now (after playing around with settings) it's now up to 71 down and 17 up. I'm on 80/20 internet so this is ok, although the download used to be 76 on my old router.

However on wifi, on my phone on my old router I used to get 35 down and 16 up, but now on the Netduma I struggle to get above 10 down (the highest being 14) but the upload can be around 15-16.

All of the wifi devices I tested so far seem to be the same except for one, another phone which has had 45 down and 15 up.

I'm currently using wifi channel 6 as it seems to be the best using wifi analyzer. I also have wifi workaround turned off.

Can anyone offer any tips or insight? 

Please let me know if any of this doesn't make sense.

Also, I don't know if this is right or a fault with my Netduma but the wifi light above the 5 port lights doesn't seem to light up at any point. Maybe it's not working?

Thanks All

• Administrators

What are the wifi speeds on your PC? Strange that some devices are low whilst that other is high. 

The light should flicker if it detects data going through it but the wifi is working so I wouldn't worry about that either way

What are the wifi speeds on your PC? Strange that some devices are low whilst that other is high. 

The light should flicker if it detects data going through it but the wifi is working so I wouldn't worry about that either way

Thanks Fraser.

I don't have wifi on my pc but I do have a wifi adapter so I can try that later on when I get home. 

The wifi light has never flashed, even when running speed tests on the wifi.

"The light itself must have broken somehow, it's merely cosmetic".

Is that really something you should be saying about a brand new item just delivered. Surely Corbula is entitled to a brand new piece of equipment to be full working as intended.

• Administrators

You're taking that out of context, I am assuring Corbula that it will not cause Wifi issues which is the main issue. More than welcome to contact us regarding this if they would like

I actually consulted with Iain, the light doesn't light up regardless with our software so it isn't a broken bulb or anything. 

You're taking that out of context, I am assuring Corbula that it will not cause Wifi issues which is the main issue. More than welcome to contact us regarding this if they would like

I actually consulted with Iain, the light doesn't light up regardless with our software so it isn't a broken bulb or anything. 

So just to confirm, the wifi light isn't meant to light up at all? If so, I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned is that I have seen.

• Netduma Staff

So just to confirm, the wifi light isn't meant to light up at all? If so, I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned is that I have seen.

Mine doesn't come on either :) Although it won't make a difference because it isn't used, you can see if it is broken by rebooting the router and seeing if it lights up when all the other lights come on.

Okay let me know the speeds you get through that. The light itself must have broken somehow, it's merely cosmetic and won't impact the wifi itself

Ok, I've just tried the wifi adapter on my PC and it's showing as 50 down and 16 up, on wired it's showing 70 down and 16 up.

Where other wifi devices get around 12-15 down but 16 up (including my phone which used to get 35 down), all except my dads phone which got 35 down with 16 up.

Any ideas of where to go now?

Mine doesn't come on either :) Although it won't make a difference because it isn't used, you can see if it is broken by rebooting the router and seeing if it lights up when all the other lights come on.

Thanks, Crossy. I rebooted the router and the wifi light did indeed light up at first, it just doesn't light up at any other time to indicate activity which is a bit annoying but I can live with it :)

So, I tried the wifi by doing a file transfer to a laptop and it averaged about 30. My phone is still doing around 12 and my dad's is doing around 40. Maybe it's just the devices being a bit older? Still doesn't explain why my phone has dropped from a consistent 35 to 12 though.

My wifi signal is solid as a rock and I did notice that the light for wifi is either dim or doesn't come on.

Never really looked if it came on while rebooting.

Make sure you have entered the bandwidth your are paying for and reset the "flower", set everything to 100%

• Administrators

So, I tried the wifi by doing a file transfer to a laptop and it averaged about 30. My phone is still doing around 12 and my dad's is doing around 40. Maybe it's just the devices being a bit older? Still doesn't explain why my phone has dropped from a consistent 35 to 12 though.

That is strange, how far are the devices from the router? As above do reset & apply flower and see if that helps

I sat at my desk that the router is on top of so I'm right next to it.

The device prioritisation, I've reset the distribution and updated it even though I haven't messed around with just to make sure.

I've decided I would attach some images for the settings to make sure I've got them right.

Here's a wired speed test, for some reason it keeps thinking I'm in London when I'm actually in the northwest hence why It say's Manchester 150mls away.

post-5172-0-94112200-1449258062.png

post-5172-0-41427300-1449258112_thumb.png

post-5172-0-53748900-1449258154_thumb.png

post-5172-0-19073900-1449258185_thumb.png

post-5172-0-73000800-1449258220_thumb.png

post-5172-0-10723100-1449258319_thumb.png

Archived