Throttling advice please guys.

Ian88

So... I've just went completely bonkers with the lag comp, I've got 100/7 network.. But I've just went overboard and inputted 15/1 lol.. Also clicked the pre emotive (since I thought reactive is for 100+ which I don't have since throttling) I haven't tried this yet, but does this sound OK? Surely I should be on the other side of the comp fence with speeds this low? I've got my geo set to 800miles with 50ms pa... Is there any tweaking I can do.. I'm also wanting to arrange a 1on1 with an expert if possible just to take a look at all my settings to make sure everything is ok

I have 30/5, and I use 75% CC.

This is when I am not streaming. The hit detection is spot on, but this still doesn't prevent me from getting "lag comped" by people with 200+ms playing in the same match.

I haven't tried it when I am streaming because I figure streaming is "throttling" me, somewhat? I did the math and if I keep CC at 75% while streaming, I would only have 1.5mbps up to spare since I stream at 3000mbps, 720p @ 30fps.

My theory on why having a lower bandwidth (upload), or a connection farther way gives you and advantage is I believe the algorithm they use to average out the latency in-game is designed to prioritize clients with a slower flow of packets (in ms) because this means the server / host CPU doesn't have to work as hard versus when faster connections are present? It makes sense from a programming and hardware perspective, but results in penalizing those who exceed those limitations... Which is becoming a majority vs. minority compared to when the algorithm was first put into use back in the days of 56K modems and could even handle DSL.

What's your actual speed? And what speed did you input? Did u move to pre emptive?

My actual down is 180mb, 70mb seems to work right now, my upload goes between 14 and 12 mb , I have set for 7.27 mb. My congestion control stuff is at 70 or 80 depending time of day and I still have reactive though I have tried pre and see no difference.

All of that makes perfect sense.. It seems to be doing aright at 30/1 atm.. Would you suggest going back to reactive algorithm tho?

Reactive seems to be smoother for most people.

I know Z has done one on one with lots of people and always reports back that it runs smoother with the reactive algorithm and I trust Z as he knows his shit.

• Administrators

I don't really believe in the whole throttling idea. If you have low pings you should be getting smooth gameplay as our lag comp experiments indicated - unless it's just a dodgy server. 

I can do a 1 on 1 with you but I will not be available until next week as I have other potential 1 on 1's lined up with people who are having issues. If you have the settings as we usually recommend then there would not be much I would change. 

I don't really believe in the whole throttling idea. If you have low pings you should be getting smooth gameplay as our lag comp experiments indicated - unless it's just a dodgy server. 

I can do a 1 on 1 with you but I will not be available until next week as I have other potential 1 on 1's lined up with people who are having issues. If you have the settings as we usually recommend then there would not be much I would change. 

This has seemed to work for me to a degree, I don't know why and could just have happened to work for me as some update for BO3 and I was doing it I don't know. 

Here is the dichotomy I've found with BO3:

If I have a low ping, I have good hit detection and can do fairly well.

However, if somebody else on the server has a high ping (100-200+), they end up at the top of the leader boards nine times out of ten.

So, does this balance out?

No, the problem I have is the high ping players can literally one shot me while I have to unload a clip into them and pray it registers in time (even in MS) before they QuickScope me, or just head shot me from across the map.

I believe the above scenario is what frustrates the majority of players. Why should a high ping player have an advantage over a low ping player WHEN a high ping player joins the lobby. There is no issue between a 30ms player and a 50ms player. The 30ms player is going to win the gunfight if they can shoot straight. Once again, it's when Activision allows players from across oceans and continents to play each other on the same server and the ones farther away often have better results. Not only is this counter-intuitive for those of us who know how multiplayer games work, but it is just plain unfair and dare I say "backwards" due to the laws of physics. The major variable (aside from the infinite number of conditions & factors that are present in long-distance gaming) is the netcode a.k.a. lag compensation that may in fact favor players who are farther away than those who are closer to the server? 

However, if somebody else on the server has a high ping (100-200+), they end up at the top of the leader boards nine times out of ten.

No, the problem I have is the high ping players can literally one shot me while I have to unload a clip into them and pray it registers in time (even in MS) before they QuickScope me, or just head shot me from across the map.

I believe the above scenario is what frustrates the majority of players. Why should a high ping player have an advantage over a low ping player WHEN a high ping player joins the lobby. There is no issue between a 30ms player and a 50ms player. The 30ms player is going to win the gunfight if they can shoot straight. Once again, it's when Activision allows players from across oceans and continents to play each other on the same server and the ones farther away often have better results. Not only is this counter-intuitive for those of us who know how multiplayer games work, but it is just plain unfair and dare I say "backwards" due to the laws of physics. The major variable (aside from the infinite number of conditions & factors that are present in long-distance gaming) is the netcode a.k.a. lag compensation that may in fact favor players who are farther away than those who are closer to the server? 

have you heard of the docis 3.1 modem?

have you heard of the docis 3.1 modem?

Most retail modems are DOCIS compliant, but what it really comes down to is A) the netcode used in CoD, and B) the fact Activision allows anybody to play everybody anywhere at any time regardless, of how that impacts OTHER players gaming experience a.k.a. the guy with the higher ping always seems to dominate when it should be the exact opposite and is in most other games.

Most retail modems are DOCIS compliant, but what it really comes down to is A) the netcode used in CoD, and B) the fact Activision allows anybody to play everybody anywhere at any time regardless, of how that impacts OTHER players gaming experience a.k.a. the guy with the higher ping always seems to dominate when it should be the exact opposite and is in most other games

i just want to have fun ,i wish there was no need for special equipment just to play a game.

So if this is correct would it then benefit us to move our home location to the other side of the water and force into a server which is that far away? as our ping to that would be high then giving us the advantage??

So if this is correct would it then benefit us to move our home location to the other side of the water and force into a server which is that far away? as our ping to that would be high then giving us the advantage??

To be honest, anything is possible.

Just be aware the reason a lot of low ping players can't play like the high ping players is because their internet IS better in terms of routing, connection strength, low jitter (no packet loss), etc. A good majority of the time, a person with a high ping is playing on McDonald's Wi-Fi that inherently has bad elements as well e.g. high packet loss, slower bandwidth, etc. However, it's perfectly fine for them because this is all they are used to. If I try and purposely play on a server far away from me with my current setup... All that happens is I am behind people by a few ms (which you expect). The difference is people with bad internet are usually experiencing MORE than just latency such as lost packets which equal warping and stuttering, etc.

Archived