fttc connection with the R1

Guest Netduma Fraser

From the research I have done it seems you need a BT account to opt out, hopefully someone who has a HH5 and who doesn't have a BT provider could help with a solution. In the meantime I will talk to Iain about it seeing if there is a solution. :)

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Cajun, 

Fraser grabbed me to answer. To be honest I don't know the answer as I've never been with BT so I don't really know which routers/hubs you need to get connected. Buds do you know? It maybe worth giving plusnet a call.

The underlying issue is the HH5. It should never prevent you from disabling the wireless but is unrelated to Netduma.

If you have the plusnet router I'd try that and disable wireless. Basically you are only using the router for the modem part now you have the netduma so the actual one you use is not important.

Had a look for any issues with disabling wifi and not getting any hits. Basically once you are in the advanced settings (password protected) you turn off wireless on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels, hit apply and off you go.

I wonder if router is supported by plusnet so there tech support could help? Probably not given not supplied by them. I can post up pics of mine this afternoon when back if it helps?

Thanks all for your input. I have since been searching and it appears you can only opt out of bt fon if you have a BT username/account.

Just in case I have logged a call with the Plusnet support to see if I can opt out..

I do still have the plusnet router but it doesn't have a built in modem. However, The BT engineer provided an openreach modem when he originally installed which I still have.

Buds you mentioned earlier in this thread that the modem is not unlocked by default and I need to do this. Do you know how I can do this, and what exactly does this mean?

If I can't unlock the modem would this provide problems with ping in the netduma? I don't want any performance issues. 

Thanks for all your help.

Guest Netduma_Iain

If a modem/router works the way it should then you shouldn't expect more than 2ms added latency at most. So it shouldn't make a difference unless its faulty Chris. 

Cajun the unlocking of the modem just was in reference to being able to access full line stats for fibre. It won't affect the use of modem with netduma at all.

I'm still very curious about why HH5 won't allow wifi off. I'll post up pics to see if anything is different. But if it doesn't work it use the modem straight to netduma. Many people actually prefer the modem to HH5 for better stability / sync speeds etc. Ping wouldn't be different between them I'd imagine.

Thanks guys. I think ill try unplugging the hh5 and connecting modem to R1. Do you recommend unplugging everything before I do? Or simply disconnect ethernet from hh5 from R1 whilw leaving everything on?

Just a bit concerned as I hear repeated disconnections of router can result in cabinet reducing speeds as it thinks the line has a fault.

Once again thanks for all your support :-)

If you power down the HH5 rather than disconnecting it, it will send a dying breath to DSLAM so it should recognise it as a manual power down rather than connection dropping (which will keep dreaded DLM away).

Alternatively disconnect the whole setup and keep it off for over 30mins and again DSLAM shouldn't flag it as a line issue.

Just to confirm then by powering down you mean simply mean switching it's power off at the back or do you mean hitting the disconnect Internet button within the hh5 interface? Am I ok after that to plug in the modem into R1 while the R1is on?

Sorry Cajun, been out most of day (golf and then making it up to wife for playing golf on valentines day lol).

Had my HH5 die on me today so had the pleasure of a call to BT in midst of it all. Thankfully I had a spare HH5 in the loft so swapped them around and now back online.

How are you getting on with connecting the plusnet router? I went to take screengrabs of wireless settings but once wireless is off then there is not much to see. Had to turn wireless of on replaced HH5 and again went off ok. Now on wireless screen I get:

Wireless Configuration
2.4GHz Wireless network is not enabled.   In order to make any changes to the Wireless settings on the BT Home Hub you must first enable Wireless connections.

Well done for pulling it back on Valentines day ;-)

Thats really bad luck I dont envy you contacting them on a Saturday lol.

I still havent disconnected the HH5, Iain has suggested powering down the R1 but as there has recently been a reset on HH5 I (think it also reset the R1) so was going to leave 3 days to avoid the DLM.

Sorry to ask again but did you say I can power down hh5 and avoid this? I can see a 'disconnect' button on hh5 control panel. Shall I do this or switch hh5 off on the back?

Just to confirm I dont need plusnet router as I've got an openreach modem. My plan was to connect this only to the R1 and hopefully avoid the BT issue where it disconnects all Internet just by turning off WiFi on the hh5.

If I cant avoid this I'll take Iain's advice and power everything off then connect the openreach modem to the R1.

its ok sussed it im trying to set the ps4 connection up , the consol nat is type2 which is correct but i put aw in the game nat is moderate this is causing lag/connection and game chat issues

Guest Netduma Fraser

Disable the geo-filter, restart the ps4, then try and go into a game again to see if its open. If its open then then the geo-filter is giving a false reading but is actually open.

Guest Netduma Fraser

For the dmz:

your meant to get the wan IP from the R1 device manager. Then put it plusnet dmz instead of the ps4 wan IP.

yup done that something has changed on/in the r1 the ps4 nat is failed and i cant get the dmz set up on my plusnet router because of this thing whatever it is that has changed iv shut down the ps4 restarted it still console nat failed iv done an auto net connection on the ps4 it still comes up console nat failed

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Mike,

Sorry I'm jumping in to help while Fraser is away. If you disable your Geo-Filter do you still get a strict NAT? 

What exactly does it say your NAT is on playstation, is it type-2 for example? 

Archived