fttc connection with the R1

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so to recap my set up atm is

fone line > bt fiber hub > plusnet hub > desktop

and i have removed the plusnet hub and replaced it with the R1 > bt fiber hub and tryed to log into the control panel and it times out

next

bt hub > R1 > plusnet hub and it times out

next

laptop wifi connection > R1 type the log in address in and it times out

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Mike,

I'm here to help, lets try figure out whats going on first before we get you setup.

1. Can you at least see the wireless network "Netduma R1"?
  2. If so can you disconnect the R1 from everything so all it has is the power plugged in. Can you connect to the wifi network and access 192.168.88.1?

Based on those answers I can help further :)

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok good news to get you started I recommend you do this:

fone line > bt fiber hub > plusnet hub  > Netduma > all devices

Once we do that I'll get you upgraded and you can replace the the plusnethub. But for now keep the setup above, can you confirm you get Internet access & you can access "192.168.88.1" ?

right the internet went from the wall to the bt hub into my plusnet router i then had a cable from my plusnet router to the R1 ppoe socket and all devices plugged into the R1 connection timed out

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok don't worry we're making progress.

With that setup can you access 192.168.88.1?

If so make sure the port 1 of the duma connects to port 2 or above on the plusnet router. Then try access the Internet again please.

i can connect to the control panel via wifi fro mmy laptop when theres nothing else connected to the R1.

but im afraid ill have to leave it for tonight and continue again tomorrow as this has been going on for 3 hrs or more now and iv still got to reset the wifi on my laptop back to plusnet wifi

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok Mike, sorry about these difficulties. We will get it sorted tomorrow.

So it when the Duma is connected to something else you can't access it. There are only two possible causes I can think of:

1. Your laptop is defaulting to the other routers wifi which would explain why you can't access the duma
  2. Very unlikely but does your plusnet router have its LAN network set to 192.168.88.1

The simplest solution is to try connecting via wire and see if you can access the control panel. If so then its definitely your laptop switching to the other routers wifi. 

oh just as a bit of extra info the plusnet hub is a  netgear wnr1000v3

ill leave you to ponder research etc as iv got to head out

but i appreciate your help and advice and more importantly the valuble time your putting into this when i know you could be doing other stuff

nope the laptop is says netduma connected signal strength excellent

the laptop is 2 floors above where my plusnet & bt hub is and where the R1 is going these are all right next to my desktop the laptop is wifi the desktop is wired so is the ps4 via power plug which looks like it could be another load of mither when i get that connected

Guest Netduma Fraser

nope the laptop is says netduma connected signal strength excellent

the laptop is 2 floors above where my plusnet & bt hub is and where the R1 is going these are all right next to my desktop the laptop is wifi the desktop is wired so is the ps4 via power plug which looks like it could be another load of mither when i get that connected

When you normally access the plus net control panel do you go to 192.168.88.1 in your web browser?

Guest Netduma Fraser

Me and Iain have been talking, lets forget about wireless for now. Can you use your wired PS4 with power plug to the R1 and try accessing the R1 control panel from the PS4 web browser please.

Hi Team,

First of all I upgraded to 7b and everything is working well so well done guys great job!

Can you please advise on the following: My current set up is I've currently got a bt hh5 router (with built in modem) wired to the R1 which is wired to my console PS3.

But I also own a BT openreach modem seperate so.. Would I benefit from disconnecting the BT HH5 router and just having the modem wired to the R1 as this surely bipasses the need for the HH5? My slight concern is on the control panel for HH5 I've put the R1 into dmz and so I have open Nat in cod games and dont want to rock the boat too much as all going well ..

Guest Netduma_Iain

Glad .7b is working buddy.

If you have an Open NAT there is no benefit of replacing the other unit other than power bill I guess.

As Iain says, no benefit unless you want the unlocked modem (modem not unlocked by default and not all Openreach modems can be done easily - you need to crack it).

Good to have the modem as a back up in case anything goes down on the HH5.

morning all im back

im afraif to say iv only got limited time today

right im logged in via ps4

i have the welcome to the next gen box on screen and below that theres a red box with oops there was a problem loading external sources written in it .

just so you know later on ill probs go back over everything from scratch just to be sure i havnt missed anything out you know what its like when somethings ticking over in the back of your mind then you start second guessing your self did i do this or that right did i miss this part etc :-D

oh and as a side note soon as i powerd up the r1 there was a loud bleep (it didnt do that yesterday) and my laptop immediatly connected to the r1 via wifi which was a pain as i didnt realise at first so i couldnt get onto the tinterweb until the box popped up telling me r1 connected excellent signal strength.

also bagsta mentioned that ill need my plusnet password i take it that isnt the router one ? as i dont contact plusnet or use any of there software i just abuse there internet so if i need anything from them id rather have it ready ?

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi mike,

Don't worry about external resources message it's meaningless.

So if I understand correctly you can access the Netduma via wire and wifi at the moment and you also have internet access?

Archived