Upping my upload speed from 0.892Mbps to 5Mbps

zombitroid

Will upping my upload speed from 0.892Mbps to 5Mbps help me with my connection issues?

Download speed: 17Mbps

3 consoles in the house all open nat

PS4 uses Ethernet (wired into netduma)

Base ping: 20 ms.

Ping to Seattle dedi: 20ms.

Connection type ADSL2+ from Century Link. 

My network monitor usually says around 10-15% of my upload speed bandwidth is being used at any point in time, but I feel like upping my upload speed would really help when hosting games, and when playing COD online in general. What do you guys think? All advice is much appreciated, and feel free to cite your own personal experience with this! Thank you! :) 

I have 180 down and 12-14 up and my cod games suck most the time. But thats me.

yea you know the funny thing is Im asking about ways I can increase my internet speeds and the only way I can get a good connection in COD is by throttling my speeds to the lowest possible value :).

it wont help as you already have much more speed than you need for gaming

what would help though is to use congestion control to reduce your speed to eg 70% to prevent lagspikes

so unless you arent into streaming or general uploading id stay with the connection, your ping is quite good tbh

If you want to host lobbies then keep your download at 100% also upload for that matter.

If you dont want to host lobbies then throttle your download to 10% or less and keep your upload at 100%.

Im going to try this out! But I fear that my other devices will lag when Im gaming. Like other people in the house trying to browse the internet on ipads/laptops.

• Administrators

Increasing your upload won't have an effect on your gaming experience, you already have plenty. I think around 1mbps for hosting would be best.

When browsing the internet you're mostly downloading pages so upload wouldn't have much of an effect on this.

Archived