bt openreach modem sky fibre w/ netduma

Ok I'm switching from virgin media to sky fibre on the 17th of this month and i don't wan't to use the silly sky router with the duma in dmz would rather use an actual modem straight into the duma.

I have a bt openreach hg612 here and not sure if it will be plug and play with sky fibre or I should unlock it and enter details, anyone else tried this or have tips for preferred settings for the openreach.

Ok I'm switching from virgin media to sky fibre on the 17th of this month and i don't wan't to use the silly sky router with the duma in dmz would rather use an actual modem straight into the duma.

I have a bt openreach hg612 here and not sure if it will be plug and play with sky fibre or I should unlock it and enter details, anyone else tried this or have tips for preferred settings for the openreach.

Yes you can use other routers on Sky, i had an Asus running on Sky with the Duma. Not sure about using just a modem but give it a try. Here's some things that might help you :)

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/2111-how-to-set-up-the-netduma-with-sky-fibre-sr-102-modemrouter/

I have a bt openreach hg612 here and not sure if it will be plug and play with sky fibre or I should unlock it and enter details, anyone else tried this or have tips for preferred settings for the openreach.

Ok I have an openreach modem and there is a problem using the ping assist feature when coming straight from the modem to the duma, Iain is aware of the issue and will be working on a fix as soon as he has time. Until then I have gone back to my hhb5 and duma in dmz, it does work but just remember about the PA feature not working. Just thought I would give you a heads up.

It works for me too (had meant to type about ping assist). But I last had it on for advanced warfare which was a while ago. Geo-filter has been switched off for gears of war.

• 2 weeks later...

Not trying to bring back an old post but giving an update on my situation. Just joined sky fibre the openreach method is a pain and is a hassle ( wish the duma had the option 61 client identifier option :(  )

so got the duma plugged into the sky hub sr102 was quoted speeds between 35-40mb my line can handle 50mb down 12mb up as i checked on the bt wholesale checker receiving 30mb down 6mb up, contacted sky and the said there is a issue on the line or something bt openreach will fix my connection within 5 days. My house is close to the exchange and the cabinet so I honestly think i should be getting closer to the 40mb down mark and closer to the 10mb up mark

so has anyone experienced this issue with sky or are they just fobbing me off thinking I'll ignore it ? want this speed issue sorted as if they can't fix it I'm gone. also found out my cabinet is huawei but g.inp isn't enabled yet as the sky hub stats don't show bearer 1 in the logs

Not trying to bring back an old post but giving an update on my situation. Just joined sky fibre the openreach method is a pain and is a hassle ( wish the duma had the option 61 client identifier option :(  )

so got the duma plugged into the sky hub sr102 was quoted speeds between 35-40mb my line can handle 50mb down 12mb up as i checked on the bt wholesale checker receiving 30mb down 6mb up, contacted sky and the said there is a issue on the line or something bt openreach will fix my connection within 5 days. My house is close to the exchange and the cabinet so I honestly think i should be getting closer to the 40mb down mark and closer to the 10mb up mark

so has anyone experienced this issue with sky or are they just fobbing me off thinking I'll ignore it ? want this speed issue sorted as if they can't fix it I'm gone. also found out my cabinet is huawei but g.inp isn't enabled yet as the sky hub stats don't show bearer 1 in the logs

Your speeds should adjust over the first week or so, DLM is probably working to find your best speed. I have the same as you and i get 30mb down and 8mb up.

According to the TBB site @30mb you would be 750m from your cabinet.

Distance from the exchange means nothing now on fibre, its distance from the cab.

Zen i am well far away over 1500m and i get 30mb, i used to get 38 until they wired up all the new houses at the end of my close :(. Am i correct in thinking DLM runs all the time on fibre where as on ADSL it will kick in with multiple drop outs or a fault.

Zen i am well far away over 1500m and i get 30mb, i used to get 38 until they wired up all the new houses at the end of my close :(. Am i correct in thinking DLM runs all the time on fibre where as on ADSL it will kick in with multiple drop outs or a fault.

You have good speeds for that distance then Raddy according to TBB.

It depends on if you have G.inp Enabled in your cabinet it will error correct on the fly so DLM is present but only in extreme cases would it need to introduce interleaving.

If you do not have G.inp DLM is still present but more trigger happy.

DLM was there on ADSL but if you had a good ISP they would turn it off and place you on fast path if you asked.

You have good speeds for that distance then Raddy according to TBB.

It depends on if you have G.inp Enabled in your cabinet it will error correct on the fly so DLM is present but only in extreme cases would it need to introduce interleaving.

If you do not have G.inp DLM is still present but more trigger happy.

DLM was there on ADSL but if you had a good ISP they would turn it off and place you on fast path if you asked.

Yes i always got interleaving on ADSL so i suppose that was DLM and when it stooped i was on fastpath. 

You have to take in to consideration that the copper phone cabling may not be in a straight line and in some cases go all over until they reach you.

Are you paying for the max product the up to 80mb if not you are on the up to 40mb package.

The checker shows the up to 80mb potential but is just an estimate.

Paying for 40mb down 10mb up. sky themselfs estimated between 35-40mb but the digitalscotland website that uses openreachs data to let one know when fibre is available estimates 43mb for my house. I don't mind having less than 40mb but barely pushing 30mb I think is bad considering the cabinet is at the end of my street. The connection has been really stable. forgot to mention is there any custom firmwares for the sr102 to enable full modem mode or is that asking for too much haha. hate the double router idea.

Could be the distance the copper takes from the cab to you or DLM has hit you hard.

What are your base pings showing?

Start / run / type cmd / type ping 8.8.8.8 -t

Or use the duma's net diags.

Paying for 40mb down 10mb up. sky themselfs estimated between 35-40mb but the digitalscotland website that uses openreachs data to let one know when fibre is available estimates 43mb for my house. I don't mind having less than 40mb but barely pushing 30mb I think is bad considering the cabinet is at the end of my street. The connection has been really stable. forgot to mention is there any custom firmwares for the sr102 to enable full modem mode or is that asking for too much haha. hate the double router idea.

I have been waiting for a custom firmware also, there is one but its in very early stage and gives great risks so i have not bothered trying yet. If you are interested you can read up about it HERE

Could be the distance the copper takes from the cab to you or DLM has hit you hard.

What are your base pings showing?

Start / run / type cmd / type ping 8.8.8.8 -t

Or use the duma's net diags.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]
© 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

ping 8.8.8.8

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 27ms, Maximum = 27ms, Average = 27ms

I have been waiting for a custom firmware also, there is one but its in very early stage and gives great risks so i have not bothered trying yet. If you are interested you can read up about it HERE

Thanks will have a read at this  :D

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]

© 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

ping 8.8.8.8

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 27ms, Maximum = 27ms, Average = 27ms

Without knowing where you are that looks quite high. Low interleaving on line Zennon (8ms) at a guess?

But it is a nice stable ping which tbh would mean more than the 8ms would.

Archived