have i just made a mistake getting a ri duma? and questions

Im on virgin media on a 200mb connection, i currently use a superhub 2 AC (thier free router) and it leaves a lot to be desired, however it does have 5ghz wifi that i use on my phone a lot and on my laptop a hell of a lot (given my laptop is my streaming machine a fair bit too that 5ghz is used lol)
I just ordered a r1 duma after seeing about the geo fencing (hoping that wont mean i cant find a game at 1am when i get home from work, but looks easy to toggle) and after being frustrated that again for the last hour of trying to get my nat type to open on black ops 3 im unable to, hell playing the xbox one (blackops is the ps4 version) i have nat keep going to strict and i have to go to network settings do a test hold four buttons to get it to open up.....yeah its wierd! so for those this should help.

But i just saw the hardware page
The maximum throughput with all features enabled is approximately 120mbit/s but soon a free upgrade will be rolled out that allows the router to reach 900mbit/s speed.

120? so that means i will lose 80mbit/s ?! how far away is the free update?
i also see no mention of 5ghz, or AC(ac is less of an issue at the minute)

my network:
A pi (curently waiting on a orange pi as i have a raspberry pi 2 and it cant use my full bandwidth) wired direct to the router
an xbox one wired directly to the router
a ps4 (wired direct to the router)
a network hub wired direct to the router

guest ps4 on fridays (wired to the hub)
smart tv (wired to the hub)

laptop wireless conected 5ghz to the router (speed test from my laptop http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4809695319 )
smart phone conected 5ghz to the router

will i be able to just swap the router out for the new r1 and all goes well (didnt see where to plug the virgin media cable in though?)
will the hub cause issues?
anything i should know?

I have paid for next day delivery so it should arrive tomorrow, have i made a mistake getting it given my internet? should i just return it soon as i get it?

there surely is just something wrongly setup and im sure the support can fix that pretty quickly for you

also 5ghz is pretty much a gimmick that the industry tries to sell you, and if you still want to use it you can bridge a router ahead of the R1 :)

as i say it hasnt arrived yet what has me worried is in the hardware section it states the maxium throughput is 120mb which is 80 slower then what i pay for. But it states there will be a patch to fix this.....just no time frame for the patch, given that 120mb is pretty slow in this day and age thats worrying

just seen the speed update feature was anounced in may, and is still not actually released, i have indeed made a mistake, anyone know how to canel an order before its shipped?

you litterly posted the same time as me, hmmm have they said it was close before then not released?, i mean i can put up with 120mbits for a day or two but from what i see it was anounced in may and not happened, had i been a customer since then i would be pissed (the router aint cheap and neither is the internet package im on)

• Administrators

just seen the speed update feature was anounced in may, and is still not actually released, i have indeed made a mistake, anyone know how to canel an order before its shipped?

Hi - the speed upgrade should be ready early next week which will cover your loss in speeds.

However if this still means you do not wish to have the router that's fine but please could you let us know in the next 20 minutes before your router leaves the building. Thanks.

Hi - the speed upgrade should be ready early next week which will cover your loss in speeds.

However if this still means you do not wish to have the router that's fine but please could you let us know in the next 20 minutes before your router leaves the building. Thanks.

early next week is not an issue (months would of been) as i said in the update thread im surprised that the speed was not given a much higher priority. I hope i dont regret this (and i mean no offense to your selfs implying i may) but lets go ahead with the order, i shall cross my fingers that you dont get any major bugs preventing the update.

EDIT:

The fact that an admin has responded to my post so fast does put my mind at rest a hell of a lot i must add.

• Administrators

early next week is not an issue (months would of been) as i said in the update thread im surprised that the speed was not given a much higher priority. I hope i dont regret this (and i mean no offense to your selfs implying i may) but lets go ahead with the order, i shall cross my fingers that you dont get any major bugs preventing the update.

EDIT:

The fact that an admin has responded to my post so fast does put my mind at rest a hell of a lot i must add.

Thanks and no problem! While we finalise the update you might wish to you setup your network like this:

Wall -> Superhub -> Netduma

With your console(s) plugged into the Netduma and everything else connected to your Superhub. That way you won't lose speed on your data intensive devices and your console can enjoy the benefits of the Geo-filter.

Hope that makes sense but let us know if not and we can walk you though it.

Thanks and no problem! While we finalise the update you might wish to you setup your network like this:

Wall -> Superhub -> Netduma

With your console(s) plugged into the Netduma and everything else connected to your Superhub. That way you won't lose speed on your data intensive devices and your console can enjoy the benefits of the Geo-filter.

Hope that makes sense but let us know if not and we can walk you though it.

ah that could work, thought the r1 replaces the superhub (i will not mourn my super hub, theres a reason virgin give you them for free lol)

• Administrators

ah that could work, thought the r1 replaces the superhub (i will not mourn my super hub, theres a reason virgin give you them for free lol)

You still need a modem (which the superhub partly is, as well as a router) so normally we recommend you put your superhub into modem mode and let the Duma handle everything but given your high speeds it's probably worth letting it continue as a router for the next few days or so.

You still need a modem (which the superhub partly is, as well as a router) so normally we recommend you put your superhub into modem mode and let the Duma handle everything but given your high speeds it's probably worth letting it continue as a router for the next few days or so.

ok, that does sound like a good plan, i can then keep the fast speed for the laptop and get the ping and port benifits of the r1

@ mrgreaper...This is not your "normal" big company as you can tell by Luke answering your questions,theses guys are legit and honest.

Sounds like Luke gave you some great advice on how to configure your network to get the best of both worlds.You still get your 5 ghz speed where you need it and all the features of the duma for your gaming purposes.

They are making sure the new update is rock solid before they release it as supporting 200 speeds will be important in the future for the duma,better to make sure it works properly than to put out a half ass update that has nothing but issues.

I think you'll be more than happy with your purchase

well its just arrived im having a pain to set it up,

1) had to connect directly to it to it to get 192.168.1.88 to work (shouldnt that be in the network of the other router to? ,,,confess im not good with network stuff, and this was minor ill just reconnect to my proper router once the net duma is set up)
2) was overjoyed to see the wifi had a 5ghz option but when i selected it nothing can see the ssid (both wireless devices i use are 5ghz compatable, its what i use as 2.4ghz is slower then the speed i pay for) sadly the 5ghz is a lie the net duma doesnt have 5ghz just the option for it :( well just have to keep my wireless devices on the old router, thats not too bad just means i cant use the net duma's webinterface, so no checking stats
3) the geo filtier range is worrying, by default it only covers the uk, thats not many servers, the sudden realization that the reviews will most likely be usa reviews (more densly populated) .... hmm time will tell on this and im sure it can be disabled when needed....though that means reconnecting to the net duma directly (perhaps if i can find the url codes it sends i can set up an android app to turn it on and off)
4) playstation PA and xbox live PA (PA? is that the usa psn and live?)

im still learning and looking through it though, the big test will be when i play black ops 3 later see if it makes the nat open and what the playing feels like.

5) speed test with wired connection to duma http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4812789521
    speed test with wired connection to superhub http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4812798001
I knew there would be a difference with the duma being only 120mbit but thats way more then it should be? its a third of my speed :( (yep i know patch coming next week, just yikes)

2) was overjoyed to see the wifi had a 5ghz option but when i selected it nothing can see the ssid (both wireless devices i use are 5ghz compatable, its what i use as 2.4ghz is slower then the speed i pay for)

R1 does not support 5ghz band- do not select that option. Only 2.4ghz.  In order to obtain 5ghz you are going to have to attach a second router that is 5ghz capable as an access point.  

R1 does not support 5ghz band- do not select that option. Only 2.4ghz.  In order to obtain 5ghz you are going to have to attach a second router that is 5ghz capable as an access point.  

router inception lol

ill just use the 5ghz wifi on the superhub for my laptop and phone, and have just the ps4 and xbox on the duma (its not really the all in one solution i was hoping for but hay it will work)

yeah the wireless of the net duma is very bad :

4812881136.png

wireless of superhub:

4812888907.png

im still learning and looking through it though, the big test will be when i play black ops 3 later see if it makes the nat open and what the playing feels like.

5) speed test with wired connection to duma http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4812789521

speed test with wired connection to superhub http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4812798001

I knew there would be a difference with the duma being only 120mbit but thats way more then it should be? its a third of my speed :( (yep i know patch coming next week, just yikes)

ok so i just followed : http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=setup_gt_120

and my result is now :

4812851603.png

thats much more what i was expecting pre patch (wonder what the stuff it had me disable did lol)

so direct wired to super hub is :

4812798001.png

direct to net duma pre configuration tip:

4812789521.png

direct to net duma post configuration:

4812851603.png

2.4 is better for gaming anyway,ever wonder why your PS or XBOX only runs on 2.4 and not 5

O.o and thats why no one in thier right mind would use wireless to game with on the xbox ans ps4, its really bad they decided to not put 5ghz on it, see the speed test results above (i would hate to download a 50 or 60 gb game at 40mb/s lol)

• Netduma Staff

O.o and thats why no one in thier right mind would use wireless to game with on the xbox ans ps4, its really bad they decided to not put 5ghz on it, see the speed test results above (i would hate to download a 50 or 60 gb game at 40mb/s lol)

How many Mbps can you download games at?

Well I guess the developers have their reasons for not making it 5 ghz,I guess if you develop a better gaming router let me know and I'll check it out.If there's one thing I've learned in my time here is everyone would have done it different and better than the netduma crew.

But I think you'll find that there are a lot of people think they got it right... ;)

id be highly surprised if more then 5% of all filehoster will even give you half of your maximum bandwidth unless you pay money for max downloads

95% of the time you cannot make use out of your 200mbit anyhow

5ghz band is only usefull if you live in a skycraper with 20 different networks on 2,4ghz in the storeys above and below you, and even then everything except gaming should work fine

as said earlier if you need 5ghz then bridge your current router with the R1 and use the R1 only for gaming

How many Mbps can you download games at?

on steam i download at peak of 24mb/s (which is the max of my 200mb conection)

on xbox i would say its close to that, hard to gauge but games dont take long to download.

on ps4 i seem to get much slower, again no way to gauge, just the games seem to download slower

on my pi downloads normally much slower as the network port is not a gigabyte port seems 11mb/s is the max (i am waiting on an orange pi plus that wil fix that issue but they are only sold via a china site so take a loooong time to arrive)

on a 40mbs connection that would be what 5.5 to 6mb/s ?

Although im old enough to renember dial up, i have no desire to relive it :) (yes i know thats exageration dial up was a hell of a lot slower)

Well I guess the developers have their reasons for not making it 5 ghz,I guess if you develop a better gaming router let me know and I'll check it out.If there's one thing I've learned in my time here is everyone would have done it different and better than the netduma crew.

But I think you'll find that there are a lot of people think they got it right... ;)

chill, just remember different people have different prioritys, for me speed is important, getting what i pay for also very important. i dont mean to offend, im just unhappy that the router is not performing as well as the free the router in these areas and that to get decent wifi speedim going to have to purchase additional hardware (and wait for the speed fix firmware for the r1)

id be highly surprised if more then 5% of all filehoster will even give you half of your maximum bandwidth unless you pay money for max downloads

95% of the time you cannot make use out of your 200mbit anyhow

5ghz band is only usefull if you live in a skycraper with 20 different networks on 2,4ghz in the storeys above and below you, and even then everything except gaming should work fine

as said earlier if you need 5ghz then bridge your current router with the R1 and use the R1 only for gaming

i max out my speed very often on the pc, though i dont tend to use filehosters as they are VERY slow.

In answer to Your original post - No , You haven't made a mistake with the R1 , It's a superb piece of kit but one designed to fit a particular requirement.

Of course a router designed to work organically with Your home connection will produce better results without optimisation and the lack of 5Ghz Wi-Fi on the R1 is an issue but one that can be worked around quickly and easily.

Prior to getting the R1 the heart of my home network was an Asus RT-AC87U 802.11ac router which is one of the best performing on the Market , I bought the R1 for its software suite and feature set which is light years ahead of other routers and provides a genuine improvement to online multiplayer - The task it was designed to do.

So now I use Modem > R1 > Asus ( only in access point mode - Hardwired into the R1 with R1's Wi-Fi disabled) and My online gaming has improved 110%.

Look past the 120mb's limit ( as next week this won't be an issue ) and concentrate on what (hopefully) You bought the R1 for ... A real and measurable improvement when gaming online in terms of host / server location and the ability to filter out hosts based on connection and ping quality.

If all You want is a single one box solution that absolutely maxes out your home internet connection ( I mean how much of 200mbs are you actually using on a consistent basis ? ) then Your best option may be to wait until a mainstream manufacturer patents its own software similar to what Netduma Provides ( You may have a long wait) and supplies it on a router with huge antenna's and a cutting edge 'gaming' design with flashing lights and an octo core processor ......

If however what You want is cutting edge software that actually provides an actual difference to your online gaming experience and enjoyment then there is NOTHING on the market that compares to the R1 right now ... Sure Speedest.net may not show quite the same speeds and You may lose a few MB/s here and there because the Routerboard the R1 is based on probably cannot compete as a traditional router with quad core 2Ghz+ beasts like my Asus or the netgear nighthawk but believe me I can tell You right now from a week of gaming using the R1 that there is nothing that will improve Your actual real world experience online more effectively.

For Me ( and a lot of other users ) the R1 is the single biggest improvement I have made to My gaming experience online , Low lag monitors - Scuff controllers etc can only take You so far the R1 is the only device I have ever used that ensures that You are NEVER at a disadvantage because of Host location / Poor pings ever again , It won't make You a better player but it will absolutely ensure that poor connection to the host and lag is never a reason that you fail.

My advice - Manage Your expectations , focus on the reason You bought the R1 in the first place , Work on optimising the R1 to work well with Your connection for everyday internet use and enjoy the improved experience provided in online multiplayer games courtesy of the R1.

Archived