Question regarding Optimal Configuration Of R1

Hello Forum :)

So I've ordered an R1 after hearing and reading great things about the unit I'm eagerly awaiting delivery.

I can't wait to see if its as good as everyone says ... Which I'm sure it is , However in the meantime whilst I wait have a question about the most optimal method of setup of the router , that I hope forum members or the netduma team can help with.

I currently run a very modern and efficient 802.11ac wireless network with the lions share of the Wi-Fi being handled by an Asus RT-AC87U router and as a general network I am very happy with it indeed.

We run a lot of simultaneous connections and stream hi resolution video over AC wireless from a media server to Amazon fire TV's running Kodi - However I also play a lot of online games (The usual suspects - Destiny / Halo 5 etc).

What I would like to know is there a way I can add the R1 to my existing network ( BT Cable modem > Asus > R1 > PS4 / XB1 ) without adding additional latency to the R1's performance and/or sacrificing its feature set or efficiency whilst still maintaining My current network?

I would ensure that the PS4 / XBOX ONE were the only devices connected to the R1 - But I'm assuming if other devices were connected to the ASUS router then features like Anti flood may be compromised ( as they would be further along the chain ).

I also have an Asus EA-AC87 media bridge that can be configured to add AC wireless to any router which I could use to add wireless AC to the netduma in place of its own wi-fi thus removing the Asus Router if need be.

The reason I am adamant about using an additional device in conjunction with the R1 is that although the overall software suite looks excellent on the Netduma the wireless N doesn't.

TLDR - Is using the R1 as a stand alone router connected to a BT modem the most optimal configuration or can I use it with My ( Excellent ) current router without adding latency / sacrificing features on the R1 ?

Any help and advice would be appreciated - Thanks :)

EDIT : Think I've found the solution Myself - Looks like I can set the EA-AC87 to "Access point mode" and plug directly into the R1 thus giving me the 2.4Ghz channel of the R1 whilst adding a 4x4  5Ghz AC wireless access point for my Media streaming and long range coverage - Result !!

Hello there buddy Welcome to the DUMA ARMY.

Yebs if you want to get full benefits of all of the features such as congestion control the best set up would be Modem- NetDUMA(Wifi disable)-and that your loved router set to Access Point mode(form there you run all of you wireless devices who will still show as individual so congestion can take full advantage of it) and than your consoles wired to the R1.

That way you keep you stable 5 GHz wireless network and still are able to use all of the features of R1 specially congestion control. It is really important as the future update to congestion control will take it to whole new level. If you are interested please read this article about what would the new congestion bring.

https://netduma.com/blog/announcement-unveiling-the-worlds-greatest-qos/

@lukasz , @Netduma Fraser ,

Thanks for the welcome , Really excited to get My hands on the R1 , especially after reading Lukasz link to the article on the new improved QOS implementation.

I've been looking at You guys for a while and having watched and read the reviews and had a good look through Your channel on Youtube I've got to say I'm really impressed.

So many of the 'top of the range' gaming routers on the market today are simply generic routers with more powerful antennas and fancy 'edgy' designs to make them appeal to people easily impressed by such features.

The R1 looks like it completely addresses the 'real' problems faced by competitive players and looks to be making real inroads into fixing relevant real world issues issues whilst still retaining more and better implemented functionality than 99% of such routers on the market today.

Looks like My own issue will be easily fixed as I posted in My edit by removing My router and using the Asus EA-AC87 media bridge to bring 5Ghz 802.11ac to the table by flicking the physical switch to 'access point' mode whilst still allowing me to use the superb feature set provided by the R1.

Heres a link to the Asus - Its not a router itself just either an access point or media bridge...

https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/EAAC87/

I've posted the link to maybe help other users that want the wireless speeds provided by the AC standard but the software suite and superb feature set of the R1.

Really proud to be supporting an excellent product ( The R1 ) and really proud that You guys are fellow Brits as well ....

Keep up the good work , Let Me know if You guys start selling shares ... I'd be really interested in buying in , as i can only see the company net value going through the roof  !!

Absolutely does Lukasz , 

Now all I need is for the R1 to be delivered :) 

Got My 802.11ac Access point fully set up with the SSID already named and set up ready to plug into the R1 on arrival !!

Can't wait , looking forward to excluding all the overseas laggers and red bar players in Destiny PvP (of which theres a lot ) , seriously sometimes its like other players are using 56k and playing from the moon.

I already run a 2.5 K/D with a weekly average of 3.16 K/D so I'm hoping once the red bars are out of the picture I'll be pushing a 3.0 K/D all time ratio ... If Triple is endorsing NetDuma its an instant buy for me.

Thanks again - Great customer support even before I've taken delivery of the Unit ... Can't fault You lads 

Thats Great News.

I will close this thread now as you questions have been answered 

Please feel free to post new ones if you have any questions.

Lukasz.

Archived