Sorry for the spam topics but i have another concern.

tjl118

I just ran a couple of ping diagnostics and I always get 

ping = good

jitter = good

spikes = exceptional

packet loss = no loss

What are your suggestions to improve the ping and jitter to exceptional??

Tyler

Only thing you can do is have your home wiring perfect.

Master socket short twisted pair rj11 cable to the modem then Ethernet round the house.

Anything over 15ms is seen as good on the duma diags, i have anything from 15 to 17 on diff days and where I am based in the UK I think this is exceptional anyway.

I am not sure what is seen as the threshold for jitter, please post your results.

Jitter can be from local congestion (in your home in this case it will not have been as the duma disconnects all other machines while it tests) or ISP congestion over utilised over sold bandwidth.

• Administrators

Zennon has answered this perfectly, if his suggestions don't improve it, then it would be to do with your line, however as said you could still have a really good ping anyway, click show details and you can see some more info on this

i will post some results from the R1 tomorrow and you guys can take a look. could you expand on the master socket short twisted pair rj11? is that something I could do as a extreme noob to wiring? lol

Tyler

So you place your modem / router combo next to the master socket use a twisted pair rj11 (adsl cable) from the socket to your modem/router.

Twisted pair deflects any electro magnetic interference, it is used in CAT5e CAT6 as well which will make your home wiring the best it can be.

Keeping noise levels as low as possible in your home so not to dent your signal to noise margin on your line.

It might not make a difference to you over all ping time but you will be rest assured that your home wiring is not to blame for any dynamic line management that increases latency (ping) by putting interleaving on to correct errors, this can be cause by home wiring or external wiring.

At the moment there is some use of G.inp on UK fibre lines that corrects on the fly so you do not get taken off a fast path profile.

Fastpath : Good for gamers low pings : no error correction, no resending of dropped packets

Interleaved : Puts around 10 to 12ms on top of the base ping for error correction on a line, resending of dropped packets causing a queue of packets.

Twisted pair RJ11 (what we use in the UK) is available on Ebay.

I second what Zennon says here as he helped me on advising getting the best wiring. Since I bought an RJ11 twisted cable it has made my line nice and stable.

Regarding interleaving on/off, when I had ADSL like you say it's best turned OFF for gaming which is what I asked my ISP to do.

Since then I now have fibre broadband so does interleaving exist in fibre connections as if so I need to inform my ISP to turn it off?

I second what Zennon says here as he helped me on advising getting the best wiring. Since I bought an RJ11 twisted cable it has made my line nice and stable.

Regarding interleaving on/off, when I had ADSL like you say it's best turned OFF for gaming which is what I asked my ISP to do.

Since then I now have fibre broadband so does interleaving exist in fibre connections as if so I need to inform my ISP to turn it off?

With Bt having the stranglehold over fibre in the UK there is nothing the ISP can do at the moment in regards to turning off interleaving.

Having a cab that has G.inp enabled (Huawei) is the best as you have fast path if your line is stable.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm scroll down to find your cab.

What base ping are you seeing and where in the UK are you I will try to work out whether you have fast path or not.

PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=0 ttl=48 time=35.303 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=1 ttl=48 time=31.262 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=2 ttl=48 time=36.166 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=3 ttl=48 time=32.965 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=4 ttl=48 time=32.834 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=5 ttl=48 time=35.103 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=6 ttl=48 time=32.576 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=7 ttl=48 time=32.473 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=8 ttl=48 time=33.601 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=9 ttl=48 time=32.713 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=10 ttl=48 time=30.424 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=11 ttl=48 time=30.934 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=12 ttl=48 time=32.228 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=13 ttl=48 time=33.624 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=14 ttl=48 time=29.739 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=15 ttl=48 time=27.718 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=16 ttl=48 time=31.985 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=17 ttl=48 time=28.237 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=18 ttl=48 time=29.592 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=19 ttl=48 time=39.356 ms

These are the results from my diagnostic test. The R1 reported Good for ping and jitter, exceptional for spikes and no packet loss. However, you can see the variations in my ping. As for the wiring in my house I use CAT6  ethernet cords but the line coming in from the house is a cable (Comcast in my provider) that run along the ceiling with no splitter or anything in the way to the modem. Just wondering if there is anything else I can do to help level out those pings. But from what it sounds like, the lines may be the issue and i highly doubt comcast is going to service the lines in my neighborhood. 

11ms jitter aprox, yeah its not the best.

Was that taken when no other machines are connected to the network?

If so I would tell them it is unexceptable for your needs which in this case is gaming.

Give them test results as proof.

At that base ping it would seem you have some sort of error correction on your line (interleaving)

With Bt having the stranglehold over fibre in the UK there is nothing the ISP can do at the moment in regards to turning off interleaving.

Having a cab that has G.inp enabled (Huawei) is the best as you have fast path if your line is stable.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm scroll down to find your cab.

What base ping are you seeing and where in the UK are you I will try to work out whether you have fast path or not.

My base ping is between 19/20 ms. I live near Shrewsbury, Shropshire.

also i am wondering where i am pinging to. if im pinging to a server far away, then this isn't the worst case scenario, however, it isn't good either

The Netduma pings the nearest Google server to you.

It will even out jitter apparently so if what i have perceived from what Iain said it will pick the highest peak and stay there instead of going up and down which for gaming is much better

So if your lowest is 19 and your highest is 30 it will make your pings a steady 30 until the the jitter calms down then if it does settle back to 19 then it will lower to 19 itself, forgive me if this is wrong Iain.

i called my ISP and they tried telling me that the numbers I posted were pretty good. I told them for gaming purposes those are terrible. Then he noticed the noise levels on my line and told me they were really low. Apparently a tech is coming out to possibly save the day. I also told them to bring an rj11 because he said i probably had a rj6 line. We will see tomorrow if my line can become decent. Is there anything else you guys can think of that I could do on my end to help this jitter out?

Tyler

i called my ISP and they tried telling me that the numbers I posted were pretty good. I told them for gaming purposes those are terrible. Then he noticed the noise levels on my line and told me they were really low. Apparently a tech is coming out to possibly save the day. I also told them to bring an rj11 because he said i probably had a rj6 line. We will see tomorrow if my line can become decent. Is there anything else you guys can think of that I could do on my end to help this jitter out?

Tyler

I hope the tech can sort it for you, nothing more you can do but wait.

Tech came by. I asked for rj11 cable. he had one but told me they only use it for lines that need to run over 100 ft. lame as hell. so he replaces the 10 year old rj6 cable with a new rj6 cable. Results are slightly better but not really. Then the maintenance guy tells the tech that there is noise in my neighborhood. Now I have to sit here and hope that comcast will actually do something about it. The tech told me that they are going to monitor the neighborhood :/ If anyone reads this that has comcast as an option...do not go with them because now I am sitting on a 100/20 business line that is absolute shit for gaming. 

Tyler

Archived