Failed NAT Type

• Netduma Staff

Hi,

I just tried to go on PS4, but when ever connecting to peoples party's I was told that I couldn't speak to them because of NAT type issues. I ran the PS4 test connection and got NAT Type: Failed. I plugged my PS4 directly into my old router and was able to connect fine!

Please could you let me know how to fix this, it was working fine yesterday!

Thanks

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok resolved the issue. On PS network it can incorrectly say closed NAT if you have geo-filter too low. Its not actually closed you're just blocking the NAT testing server. We will add that server to our white-list in the next patch.  In the meantime you can disable the geo-filter when you do the test to confirm then re-enable it. 

Ok resolved the issue. On PS network it can incorrectly say closed NAT if you have geo-filter too low. Its not actually closed you're just blocking the NAT testing server. We will add that server to our white-list in the next patch.  In the meantime you can disable the geo-filter when you do the test to confirm then re-enable it. 

Thanks for posting this Iain, as I would of notice this next week if i get my router, Can't have this on my three PS4's  :P  Cool you will have this fixed up in a patch though.

I was wondering today how psn party chat etc would work, so this has been resolved.

I only ask as the first time i tried the Duma and psn party chat it did take about 2min to actually connect.

This could be my issue with my setup rather then Duma issues.

Guest Netduma_Iain

If you connected in the end it is probably your issue. But just to be sure, can you disable the geo-filter then restart PS and see if your NAT is open please.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm noticing the same issue as of this afternoon. I assume the NAT testing server(s) were added to the white-list a few versions back ? If i disable the Geo-filter i'm able to get a nat type without issue. With the geo filter enabled i have to set the range to 4000km+ to get a nat type ( i'm on the east coast ). FWIW I still show "Nat Type: Open" in COD AW. Thoughts ? 

I just noticed i get the NAT failed when i run a connection test on ps3 but i can still game.So i did some poking around with my geo filter and it only gives me the NAT failed when i have strict enabled on the filter.As soon as i untick strict it gives me my NAT type 2 back,no matter if i set the filter at 5000 km i still get failed with strict on.But like i said i can still game is that normal ?

It's an issue with the psn server used for NAT test. Netduma are aware of it and will whitelist server to prevent it.

As your found out, current solution is to either disable strict or the geofilter for the NAT test.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Basically the risk we run is this:

1. Put a group of servers in whitelist and your NAT will stay open BUT you may now connect to games way beyond your distance
  2. Try find minimum amount of servers to get you a game downside is you may incorrectly told you have strict NAT

Its seem obvious to us that option 2 is better :) Do you agree?

• 4 months later...

Had problems connecting to ps4 chat when in party. Says NAT restricted, so what I did was to bypass and open geo filter to cover entire U.S. until friend or communication server on geo filter appeared. I clicked on name and rated it 75% on filter and it added it, so I can connect to him in party chat with strict mode on and filter closed at 800k. Hope this helps, still no server whitelist for ps4 party chat.

• Netduma Staff

Had problems connecting to ps4 chat when in party. Says NAT restricted, so what I did was to bypass and open geo filter to cover entire U.S. until friend or communication server on geo filter appeared. I clicked on name and rated it 75% on filter and it added it, so I can connect to him in party chat with strict mode on and filter closed at 800k. Hope this helps, still no server whitelist for ps4 party chat.

Talk about brining back dead threads :D I think I fixed this by adding all the triangles to my allowed list then Iain remoted in, took them and added them to the cloud.

But I agree with you, disabling the GeoFilter is a really easy way to do it :)

Archived