What happened to my "Ping"?

DARK BAWGS

The past few days I noticed things didn't seem quite right.  I have run PingTest several times and I am getting a ping in the 60's.  Normally my ping was in the high 20's or low 30's.

Any comments on what might be causing the problem.  Of course my ISP says everything is fine; but after some discussion they are going to send a tech to check out the lines.

DB

If you are running the Netduma diags it stop's all other traffic on your network then if you are still hitting 60ms then it is an ISP issue and not local network congestion.

I did the test, thanks, my ping was in the 30's.  I also went to Wiki and looked up but nothing new there.  The ISP just informed me the tech will be here this afternoon.

DB

Usually ISP congestion happens on an night when school is out and everyone is home from work when there is not enough bandwidth to go round then in hand making everyone in the neighbourhood have higher pings that use the same ISP.

Did you keep the logs of the 60ms pings to show the engineer/ISP?

The tech just came and went.  Yes I did have the log info.  What we did was plug my computer directly  into the ISP modem and we got pings of 25 - 32.  When we reconnected the R1 I was back up to 60 plus.  The diagnostic in the R1 said the ping was, as mentioned above in the 30's.

From the tech's point of view the problem rests in the R1???  I wonder if somehow I have done something to change the settings and thus causing a conflict. 

I welcome any suggestions.

DB

The tech just came and went. Yes I did have the log info. What we did was plug my computer directly into the ISP modem and we got pings of 25 - 32. When we reconnected the R1 I was back up to 60 plus. The diagnostic in the R1 said the ping was, as mentioned above in the 30's.

From the tech's point of view the problem rests in the R1??? I wonder if somehow I have done something to change the settings and thus causing a conflict.

I welcome any suggestions.

DB

That is the first thing the tech will say that we are not familiar with this router and it isn't one of ours and they will say it is what is causing problems.

That is the first thing the tech will say that we are not familiar with this router and it isn't one of ours and they will say it is what is causing problems.

I had this happen as well at first, but then changed out to my gaming cord and it went back to the right Pings I would get in the past.

Thanks guys,

First what do you mean "gaming cord"?

Second I absolutely agree with your comment - that is the party line.  Having said that I can't argue with the fact that when we ran speed test with the ISP's modem plugged directly to the computer the ping went down into the high 20's.  When we did it with the R1 connected it went back up to 60+.

I will change the Ethernet cable, however it is new but worth a try.  Once I understand what the "gaming cord" is I will deal with that issue as well. 

I have everything plugged into a surge protector (a rather expensive one) but the tech said I should try plugging the modem directly into the wall socket - don't like that idea as I like the protection and the fact that at night I can shut everything down - any comments? In addition it is a pain in the rear to get at the plugs behind my rather large heavy desk.

Thanks so much as always this is such a great and giving community.

DB

I think by gaming cord he means Ethernet if i am not mistaken.

You should leave your equipment on. I do not know about in the states but here there is DLM that watches the line and if it see's a drop it marks it as an error after so many error's it will increase latency to try and stop the drop outs.

Thanks guys,

First what do you mean "gaming cord"?

Second I absolutely agree with your comment - that is the party line.  Having said that I can't argue with the fact that when we ran speed test with the ISP's modem plugged directly to the computer the ping went down into the high 20's.  When we did it with the R1 connected it went back up to 60+.

I will change the Ethernet cable, however it is new but worth a try.  Once I understand what the "gaming cord" is I will deal with that issue as well. 

I have everything plugged into a surge protector (a rather expensive one) but the tech said I should try plugging the modem directly into the wall socket - don't like that idea as I like the protection and the fact that at night I can shut everything down - any comments? In addition it is a pain in the rear to get at the plugs behind my rather large heavy desk.

Thanks so much as always this is such a great and giving community.

DB

You should leave your equipment on. I do not know about in the states but here there is DLM that watches the line and if it see's a drop it marks it as an error after so many error's it will increase latency to try and stop the drop outs.

Hey Ya'll, Yes thats is what I mean when referring to my "Gaming cord".  It is just my specific ethernet cord I use for my game Consoles, I have it set in the first port and it will always be there. I've read articles in the past that say the first port is usually the "Best" port to use for optimal bandwidth for gaming connection? Not sure if that is true or just a myth, but That where I alway go for my test and it does give the best results. (Side note, when testing your speed ALWAYS test the same way every time. Same cord, same spot, same time of day that you most likely will be using your devices.)

As Zennon said, routers/modems are designed to be always on essentially, so I'd recommend keeping it on and see if the issue stops 

Hey Ya'll, Yes thats is what I mean when referring to my "Gaming cord".  It is just my specific ethernet cord I use for my game Consoles, I have it set in the first port and it will always be there. I've read articles in the past that say the first port is usually the "Best" port to use for optimal bandwidth for gaming connection? Not sure if that is true or just a myth, but That where I alway go for my test and it does give the best results. (Side note, when testing your speed ALWAYS test the same way every time. Same cord, same spot, same time of day that you most likely will be using your devices.)

You guys are the best thanks for all the help, good suggestions that I will follow...  you never stop learning!

Archived