Idea - option to automatically change the Download / Upload cap when Netduma has detected that you have started / stopped playing

Everything about the Netduma seemed to clever, so I was puzzled to read this tip (#7):

"We recommend you only activate this [Congestion Control] feature when you are gaming to ensure your connection is always optimal. Set these bars back to 100% once you have finished playing."

Seriously? For all Netduma's sophistication this seems downright prehistoric. How cumbersome will it be to have to change both of these before and after every gaming session. 

Alternative idea - have a setting which allows you to set a gaming default. When Netduma senses that there's been no gaming traffic for say 30 seconds, it automatically moves it back to 100%. When gaming activity is detected, it sends it back to the default again (i.e. 70%). You could use the categories defined in the Device Manager to control this (there's one category called "game console"). 

What do you think?

Everything about the Netduma seemed to clever, so I was puzzled to read this tip (#7):

"We recommend you only activate this feature [anti flood] when you are gaming to ensure your connection is always optimal. Set these bars back to 100% once you have finished playing."

Seriously? How cumbersome will it be to change both of these before and after every gaming session. 

Alternative idea - have a setting which allows you to set a gaming default. When Netduma senses that there's been no gaming traffic for say 30 seconds, it automatically moves it back to 100%. When gaming activity is detected, it sends it back to the default again (i.e. 70%). You could use the categories defined in the Device Manager to control this (there's one category called "game console"). 

What do you think?

It's been suggested before and is on the to-do list in the feature requests thread.  Once the new firmware is out I'm sure Iain will get back to working through the list.

Well this is a very good idea, there really will be no need for it after the update for anti jitter/spike feature is released, what that feature will do is allow no spikes or jitter at all even when everybody is on the net, even using full speeds, Iain has said when this feature is added and no problems have arisen the percentage bars will be pretty much useless and may even be removed.

The anti jitter/spike will do what the cap bars do now but much better.

If you get a chance read the blog on it! It's an awesome read and has everybody pumped for it :)!

Well this is a very good idea, there really will be no need for it after the update for anti jitter/spike feature is released, what that feature will do is allow no spikes or jitter at all even when everybody is on the net, even using full speeds, Iain has said when this feature is added and no problems have arisen the percentage bars will be pretty much useless and may even be removed.

The anti jitter/spike will do what the cap bars do now but much better.

If you get a chance read the blog on it! It's an awesome read and has everybody pumped for it :)!

Sounds amazing...

​I'd like for the bars to remain, they're not useless, especially for COD.

After reading the blog on the new anti flood being released it looks like they pretty much will be useless mate.

Edit.

If you like them because you can lower your bandwidth for COD Iain is going to be adding device prio by numbers so we can throttle speeds to exact speeds we want A7 :).

Archived