slow wifi..kept my netgear

So I was running a netgear router. Got the Netduma, set everything up, and wow, my wifi speeds are crazy slow compared to my netgear. So now, I have it setup ISP>Netduma>Netgear. Only my PC and PS4 are wired into the netduma. Everything else in the house is wireless and wifi strength is back to what it was. 

I guess my question is, set up this way, will the new QoS features that will be introduced at some point still help me or only affect the PC/PS4 wired devices? 

So I was running a netgear router. Got the Netduma, set everything up, and wow, my wifi speeds are crazy slow compared to my netgear. So now, I have it setup ISP>Netduma>Netgear. Only my PC and PS4 are wired into the netduma. Everything else in the house is wireless and wifi strength is back to what it was. 

I guess my question is, set up this way, will the new QoS features that will be introduced at some point still help me or only affect the PC/PS4 wired devices? 

Did you have the sliders both at 100% and enter the correct speeds in the boxes ?

Did you have the sliders both at 100% and enter the correct speeds in the boxes ?

I followed all the settings on the videos on how to get the best speed etc. I think when you're using the ps4/duma you set everything to 70% no, then slide back up when done?? 

As long as the Netgear is set into AP mode then all of the congestion control should work exactly the same :)

hmm, I don't know if I did this or not. School me again on AP mode?? 

And welcome to the forum as well :)

Thanks. Been a lurker here for a while, but finally had a reason to post :P 

• Administrators

If you followed videos to get your speeds I would recommend you just double check against http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=fine_tune_netdumaas those videos may be out of date compared to our current version of the firmware. Depending on the NETGEAR you're using you should go to advanced settings/setup and their should be an option for Wireless AP or something similar. 

Just remember to disable the WiFi on the duma so you prevent any interference :) 

I set up my netgear to run in AP mode so I could have all the benefits of the duma and also so I  could get wireless 5 upstairs and in the basement.You get the best of both worlds,all the duma features and the faster wireless speeds.

And as Fraser said just make sure you disable the duma's wifi to avoid interference and setting up the rest is really easy,well worth the 5 minutes it takes to do it.

this is what I don't have. there is no wireless ap under my advanced. hmmm "To enable and configure AP mode: 1 Select Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP"

but my menu looks different then the one posted. I'll play with it some more this evening when I get home

@ Rosco it should be in their somewhere brother,mine is under advanced setup but your's may be under something else.I'll poke around and see if I can find out where it is for your N300.I guess it could be possible for it not to be an option on your router but I doubt it.

We'll get it figured out for you

Ok Rosco here's what I found do far for putting your n300 in AP mode...

Go to Advanced >Advanced Settings >Wireless Repeating... should be the second tab down after wireless settings and from what I can see you have to set it up as a wireless repeater.

It looks to be kind of a pain compared to just checking the AP mode box that's on my router,so I'll just put the pages where I found the info.It's just the user manual for N300 Wireless Gigabit Router WNR3500Lv2and the info for Advanced Settings etc start on page 71...just go to downloads.netgear.com and it should get you where you need to be for seting it up in AP (repeater) mode.

Hope this helps... :D

Holy heck, what a cluster i had everything in. I thought it would be simple. Guess not lol. SO i set the channel to 6, as thats what i get the best wifi on. Can't leave it on auto. So I enable wireless repeating, and put in the router reapter ip address, and then the mac address of the base station, which i assume is the netduma. boom, ip addresses are backwards, things are wonky, not working. 

but things appear to be working now. How do I tell? 

@ Rosco it seemed like it was a pain in the ass,that's why I left the link with the info in the post as I wouldn't want to give out bad advice on that subject.

Hopefully it worked out for you and your house didn't blow up or anything... :D

And I guess if everything is working it worked,process of trial and error.Just let us (we on the forum) know if your all set as there are a ton of really smart people on here that are more than willing to help out at any time.

@ Rosco it seemed like it was a pain in the ass,that's why I left the link with the info in the post as I wouldn't want to give out bad advice on that subject.

Hopefully it worked out for you and your house didn't blow up or anything... :D

And I guess if everything is working it worked,process of trial and error.Just let us (we on the forum) know if your all set as there are a ton of really smart people on here that are more than willing to help out at any time.

I think its all good now. Hopefully lol

How's your wireless speed in repeater mode?

I usually avoid that like the plague as the way it works is to take a wireless signal from the router and rebroadcasts it, which on paper should be 50% slower (but give better range)

How's your wireless speed in repeater mode?

I usually avoid that like the plague as the way it works is to take a wireless signal from the router and rebroadcasts it, which on paper should be 50% slower (but give better range)

seemed pretty much what it was. Did a few  speed tests on my chromebook and was hitting 50mb/s which is roughly what it was before. 

Everything is gravy so far. But now that its set up, how do i access my Netgear settings?? the ip address no longer works. 

Also, I forgot I use Unlocator so we can get the good US Netflix. I think I got that set up right by changing the DNS settings on the netduma under Lan. Then there is this

"Since the upgrade to firmware version 5.4 the Netflix app is now using Google DNS hardcoded into the app.  As a result the Netflix app is bypassing DNS settings made on your router. Also please note that since firmware version 6.1 the Netflix app is also using 8.8.4.4 so both 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 should be blocked. "

How do i block those on the netduma? 

You should be able to connect to it from a device that is connected to the Netgear.

I would just change your DNS to something else or leave it on auto and see if that works :)

well you have to use the dns settings for unlocater, which is easy enough to change, but unsure how to block the other two addresses. This is how I did it on the netgear

https://support.unlocator.com/customer/portal/articles/1525476-how-to-block-google-dns-on-roku-using-netgear

Archived