Multiple consoles, different experience

My wife and I play a lot of games together. Over the past year that's been mostly Destiny, though before that it was a lot of Call of Duty. She has been complaining lately that when we play PvP together it is really laggy for her. She stopped playing PvP because we always played it together and it always felt laggy. Today I watched her play solo for a couple hours and she was doing pretty well for her, a lot better than she usually plays when we play together. When I got a chance to jump in, she said that the game started getting really laggy again for her. 

My first thought was that maybe I had the device prioritization set to favor my console. Our netduma is setup with identical priority for our two consoles. Both of our consoles are wired to the same patch panel, wired to the same switch. I ran the cables and wired it all myself, and I've tested the network I know they both perform similarly. In theory, if one of us is lagging then we both should be. So what could be causing her experience to be substantively different? The only difference is my console has the geofilter enabled for it, and I generally am the party host so we can take advantage of the Netduma's geofilter. But then once the connections have been made, that shouldn't be having an effect on the gameplay.

This was the first time I had watched and observed the gameplay difference myself and couldn't just chalk it up to Destiny's matchmaking and network code being crap. Her connections are definitely different than mine when both of us are online and playing in the same matches.

I'm going to do some tests to try to isolate the problem and either verify or rule out the Netduma as the source of the problem. But is there anything that could be contributing to this besides the congestion control?

• Administrators

What is the upload speed you have? Sounds like its struggling when 2 consoles are being used. Are you using anti flood as well? It could be that you're blocking some outside hosts that are then going through a dedicated server to you however she may be connecting to them directly. You could add her console to the Geo-filter and enable it as well and see if that works

Archived