Should I get the router now?

AnonymousBleach

I am currently contemplating about getting a router to help boost my gaming experience and WiFi for my home. (More specifically just boost my gaming connection to eliminate lag) I am between the Netgear NightHawk R7000 and Netduma R1! All reviews I have gone through have said to go for the Neduma! But I have some sides questions on how easy it is to set up and learn how to use it to its best abilities? I'm not to tech savvy when it comes to setting these up, and I currently have AT&T U-verse, which means I have to run either router I get through my current ISP router/modem. I just need to know if the set up is going to be easy with the NetDuma? Also, I'm currently only get about (22-24 down/2-3 upload/20-23 ping) Is it really even worth getting right now if I'm waiting to upgrade to Google Fiber? I know once I get that new provider, its not even a question to upgrade my system. But, could it help me now while I wait? 

I've also read some discussions about people having both the Netduma and Nighthawk, running the Netduma as the primary router and the Hawk as an AP for their WiFi, is this really necessary? or just over kill? I feel like I should get one first and test out if I really need the other to help with the WiFi. Anyway, please let me know your thoughts and pointers! Anything would be greatly appropriated!!

-B

The two selling points for myself was the 1. Geolocation and 2. Congestion. You will not find this in other routers. Now the R1 because off hardware limits does not have 5ghz Wifi and that is the only reason I run my Asus as an access point. But those previous qualities more than make up for it.

Welcome AB - I'm not the most tech savvy here (guys here practically invented tech talk) but let me see if I can assist, and in the process bump this up for one of the mad scientists to see.

The router is truly easy to set up.  It's a couple of cables (In and Out) and a power cord (with a European adapter, so if you haven't seen those before, don't panic).  The software walks you through the basics and the guys have prepared some very easy to follow videos on the bare basics for tuning, all the way through more advanced settings.

As for your internet speed, I assume those are 22-24mbits down and 2-3mbits up?  

I think this would be the type of connection that would really benefit from the Congestion Control feature as you will be able to specify how much bandwidth to allocate to other house users for uploads (as yours is a bit limited, you don't want someone uploading a 30 minute YT video while you are trying to game). ;)

Wifi - This seems to be hit or miss, depending on the poster.  I don't have any issues with the Wifi and we run about 12 devices in our home.  That said, I don't believe the current router runs 5ghz, so people have complained about the speed of the Wifi.  This is being addressed by Iain and the Duma crew, so I suspect it will change in the coming patch.

As far as if you should, here is what I can offer.

I have the money to buy whatever I want for home equipment in a category like this, and I run a Netduma.  It does everything I need it to do, and it gives the two most important features a gamer could want.

1) - It limits where I connect for host.  In a game like CoD or Battlefield, this is extremely important to winning and doing it often.

2) - It allows me to dedicate specific bandwidth for my gaming experience.  The wife can stream Netflix to the TV, surf for shoes or whatever on her tablet or phone, and I can still game without drama.

As for customer service, Net Duma can't be beat.  I have had my router since Dec and have seen about 10 or so patches (guessing, I don't really know) and they all come with new features that are immediately useful.

Do you have access to Google Fiber now?  Or is it being built in your area?

Welcome AB - I'm not the most tech savvy here (guys here practically invented tech talk) but let me see if I can assist, and in the process bump this up for one of the mad scientists to see.

The router is truly easy to set up.  It's a couple of cables (In and Out) and a power cord (with a European adapter, so if you haven't seen those before, don't panic).  The software walks you through the basics and the guys have prepared some very easy to follow videos on the bare basics for tuning, all the way through more advanced settings.

As for your internet speed, I assume those are 22-24mbits down and 2-3mbits up?  

I think this would be the type of connection that would really benefit from the Congestion Control feature as you will be able to specify how much bandwidth to allocate to other house users for uploads (as yours is a bit limited, you don't want someone uploading a 30 minute YT video while you are trying to game). ;)

Wifi - This seems to be hit or miss, depending on the poster.  I don't have any issues with the Wifi and we run about 12 devices in our home.  That said, I don't believe the current router runs 5ghz, so people have complained about the speed of the Wifi.  This is being addressed by Iain and the Duma crew, so I suspect it will change in the coming patch.

As far as if you should, here is what I can offer.

I have the money to buy whatever I want for home equipment in a category like this, and I run a Netduma.  It does everything I need it to do, and it gives the two most important features a gamer could want.

1) - It limits where I connect for host.  In a game like CoD or Battlefield, this is extremely important to winning and doing it often.

2) - It allows me to dedicate specific bandwidth for my gaming experience.  The wife can stream Netflix to the TV, surf for shoes or whatever on her tablet or phone, and I can still game without drama.

As for customer service, Net Duma can't be beat.  I have had my router since Dec and have seen about 10 or so patches (guessing, I don't really know) and they all come with new features that are immediately useful.

Do you have access to Google Fiber now?  Or is it being built in your area?

Okay awesome thank you for the info!  The hardest parts for me in the past is always just setting up the routers through my ISP to work properly and get the full potential of everything. (not knowing 100% of what I'm doing, I have no clue if I have turned off or on the correct things.) But, Sounds like if im not sure I can call the customer service for help which is awesome to hear how good they are!

For your questions, Yes my internet speeds are in mbits. And for the Google fiber, we moved into our new home and missed their sign up date. So, we are currently going back around our neighborhood and seeing if anyone would like to sign up for it. (If we get enough to say yes, Google said they would come back to install for more homes.)

• Administrators

Hey, you've got some great info so far and this is the kind of friendly, helpful responses you could come to expect from being part of our community :) In terms of setting up with your existing router/modem, all you would need to do is put it in modem mode (should just be a case of connecting to that control panel and clicking a button) that would then give an open NAT for gaming through the R1. If you did experience trouble with this, I'm sure someone could provide screenshots on how to do it, if they had the same router/modem, or I could do a 1 on 1 with you and show you the option :) 

It would definitely help optimise your gaming experience with the connection you have now. When you get Google fiber, by that point we will have boosted our speeds to 900mbps + so you would still be able to utilise the Duma, and of course still get you low ping games :)

Hey, you've got some great info so far and this is the kind of friendly, helpful responses you could come to expect from being part of our community :) In terms of setting up with your existing router/modem, all you would need to do is put it in modem mode (should just be a case of connecting to that control panel and clicking a button) that would then give an open NAT for gaming through the R1. If you did experience trouble with this, I'm sure someone could provide screenshots on how to do it, if they had the same router/modem, or I could do a 1 on 1 with you and show you the option :)

It would definitely help optimise your gaming experience with the connection you have now. When you get Google fiber, by that point we will have boosted our speeds to 900mbps + so you would still be able to utilise the Duma, and of course still get you low ping games :)

Sounds perfect! Looks like I will be making a purchase this weekend then! Thank you for the help!

Being that the questions of AnonymousBleach have been answered I will close this post.  Feel free to create another if you have anymore questions or concerns.  And congratulations on your future purchase. Happy gaming.  

Archived