New modem same old problems

FQs19

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Fraser, 

Here is my network analyzer and monitor with the sliders at 70% each and Share Excess ticked:

1441561917-U1511.png

1441561958-U1511.png

and this is when the sliders are at still at 70% but Share Excess is unticked:

1441562248-U1511.png

1441562292-U1511.png

There's something strange going on.

I just increased the sliders to 100% but left Share Excess unticked, this is what I got:

1441562621-U1511.png

1441562691-U1511.png

You'll notice the previous downloading since I didn't refresh the page. 

Just wondering why there is such large spikes?

Fraser, 

Am I correct in saying that the sliders set the limit on bandwidth you can take regardless of ticking Share Excess?

Because I just did a speed test on Speedof.me and got the same results with the sliders at 70% but ticking and unticking Share Excess. 

I'm guessing that the sliders will only allow the % set to be taken from your network and the share excess would allow anything connected to 

the R1 to either use all 70% or just their portion according to Device Prioritization when Share Excess is unticked.

When you're on the network monitoring page and you switch to a different page it spikes the graph for some reason. Try it out, you'll see.

As for the rest of it, that's the PS4. Set your MTU to 1500 in the settings on the ps4. Seemed to help me a bit.

I didn't change pages. I had two tabs open, the R1 network monitor and my Asus network analyzer. 

I just switched back and forth. But yes, I have seen the R1 go nuts when changing internet pages. 

The PS4 is set for auto MTU and shows 1500 all the time. 

• Administrators

Fraser, 

Am I correct in saying that the sliders set the limit on bandwidth you can take regardless of ticking Share Excess?

Because I just did a speed test on Speedof.me and got the same results with the sliders at 70% but ticking and unticking Share Excess. 

I'm guessing that the sliders will only allow the % set to be taken from your network and the share excess would allow anything connected to 

the R1 to either use all 70% or just their portion according to Device Prioritization when Share Excess is unticked.

Yes exactly. Device prioritisation and share excess only apply to the upload direction. It looks as though you're not getting the massive slow down now which is what I would expect from applying anti-flood as your network isn't getting overly congested. 

Downloads won't go at a steady rate, they will go up and down. It's looking a lot better than before though

Archived