Congestion control setting during speed test

Not sure I understand the congestion control setting for running speed tests on my wired Xbox. I have the download/upload cap on the other devices set to 70%. So before I run the speed test I set these back to 100%, run the test, and the go back and reset them to 70%, correct?

What happens if you forget to set the control back to 100%?

EDIT: What's confusing me is my test at 70% is much lower than when it's at 100% so am I getting the lower bandwidth with this setting enabled? Seems completely backwards for why it's there.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Nothing to worry about pal. 100% just means behave like a normal router as in a free for all. So I'd recommend doing that when not playing.

When you set it below it throttles your connection to that percentage to stop other people making you lag. If I recall correctly yours went down to far. Which suggests you did not put the right values in the "Set Bandwidth" button at the top of the congestion control page.

Hope that helps :) 

Thanks Netduma_Iain, but I've always had it at 70% so not sure why it dropped to 23MB/13MB last night.

So if I have it set to 70% and my Xbox is the only wired connection, then why does my speed test on that wired Xbox show up with a lower speed compared to when I have it throttled back to 100%. It should be the other way around, right?

Guest Netduma_Iain

Sorry Woof Dah I think you have the logic the wrong way round :)

Throttling will reduce your connection, so setting it to 70% should make it about 70% the speed of your connection. The reason you want to lower your speed is if you download/upload to fast you can cause queueing which makes you lag. Does that make sense?

Here's what I'm currently getting on my wired Xbox speed test:

Congestion set to 100%: 73MB/23MB

Congestion set to 70%: 44MB/14MB

The speed test is done on my Xbox (Settings > Network > Troubleshooting > Detailed Network Statistics) so these numbers should be reversed.

Sorry Woof Dah I think you have the logic the wrong way round :)

Throttling will reduce your connection, so setting it to 70% should make it about 70% the speed of your connection. The reason you want to lower your speed is if you download/upload to fast you can cause queueing which makes you lag. Does that make sense?

Whoa, I'm completely bass-ackwards on this. So you're saying that if my connection is too fast I'll lag?? I thought if your connection is crap then that causes lag.

• Netduma Staff

Whoa, I'm completely bass-ackwards on this. So you're saying that if my connection is too fast I'll lag?? I thought if your connection is crap then that causes lag.

No. Having the connection throttles means it doesn't get congested meaning the packets (data being sent do the servers) has a clear path and doesn't have other packets all in the way.

Having a fast connection is awesome for gaming because you can multi-task, but it is when you are using all your upload and download that you begin to lag, so throttling your connection so that you will never reach the maximum upload and download means you won't lag! :)

Yea Woof Dah i know it sounds backwards and it is for the normal router out there,but this isn't your normal router.Your on the right track just make sure you use your congestion control while gaming (maybe someone will post optimum setting for your speeds) and be sure to re set it too 100 % when your gaming session is over.

I did try it at 100 % while gaming and the Mrs. had netflix going and it was not an  enjoyable experience.Can you say pre duma.I think the only time you might be able to set it at 100 % is if your the only one using the net and are just gaming nothing else.I'm sure someone will correct me if i gave wrong info

When you set it below it throttles your connection to that percentage to stop other people making you lag. If I recall correctly yours went down to far. Which suggests you did not put the right values in the "Set Bandwidth" button at the top of the congestion control page.

On the Xbox One I can to a speed test so do I use the results from that to try and find the right values?

Guest Netduma Fraser

On the Xbox One I can to a speed test so do I use the results from that to try and find the right values?

I dont know what your setup is but if you can go on a PC wired to the R1 and go to http://www.speedtest.netand use those values. Make sure to reset the anti flood to 100 and reset the distribution and keep share excess on when you do the test.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators

Hi Pro, 

I guess you're using preemptive algorithm? I designed that purposefully to be conservative in bandwidth to stop any chance of a ping spike. The solution is simple just set a higher bandwidth :) 

Archived